Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another frivolous lawsuit

Yet another frivolous lawsuit

Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:24 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yet another frivolous lawsuit

imo, it is.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...e11-addiction/

Addicted gamer sues game-maker, allegations that he is 'unable to function'. Yet he can function enough to hire an attorney. Its going to pave the way for many other cases... against facebook, twitter et all. Quick, Sue... help, I'm addicted... (sorry to spoil your day after birthday...) delete my account!!...

Some nut jobs out there probably screaming Lineage II is the devil's work and must be shut down!!

3 certainties in life... taxes, death and stupid lawsuits. I can't believe the mentality of "I'm the victim here".
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another frivolous lawsuit

Kind of amusing....it's partly why if you release a game in China, there's a maximum limit of 5 hours a day play allowed...too many people were playing mmo's to much to function at work
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Games are great in moderation, unfortunately this kind of thing fuels the anti-game stance a lot of people have.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Addicted gamer sues game-maker, allegations that he is 'unable to function'. Yet he can function enough to hire an attorney.
He filed pro se if you read the court documents. Although there were allegations of ghost writing in the defense's denied motion to dismiss.

Can't see what the issue you have with others filing a lawsuit is. Would you rather we went back to blood feuds instead of common law torts?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:41 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I blame, Pong.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

How bout this that I just came across:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lued-home.html
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:23 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He filed pro se if you read the court documents. Although there were allegations of ghost writing in the defense's denied motion to dismiss.

Can't see what the issue you have with others filing a lawsuit is. Would you rather we went back to blood feuds instead of common law torts?
I object to the premiss of it in the first place, pro se or not; the overall waah, blame and "I'm the victim here and someone should pay..." mentality and/or 'I can't be bothered to get self help so I'm gonna sue instead' which is often the case. Its not immediately the game its the behaviour he's become addicted to. Granted, there are legitimate cases but this person had choices over the 5 year period... switch the damn computer off, seek therapy or whatever... he is arguing that there wasn't a disclosure to warn him of the game could be addictive in nature in some fashion... and pursuing an unspecified amount. A person eats chicken wings still knowing that doing so could cause the person to choke on the bones... we might sh!t ourselves while going to the toilet but we still go in the first place... do we sue Hanes or Fruit of the Loom for not having a tag warning us we might get sh!t in our boxers?!? "Inspected by #5" is bad enough

the thing too is that these types of lawsuits are often case law and it then opens up other people to sue gamers, facebook, twitter over their own obsessive compulsive behaviour (which can be intervened). Is it okay for someone to sue BE for being 'addicted' to this site?... how about suing a chinese restaurant or fortune cookie manufacturers because their fortune in the cookie didn't come true.... lets sue a tv station for preventing me from doing something else during an hour because I am compelled to have to watch the show I like... lets sue advertisers for interfering with my show!! - where and when do you draw the line? When will common sense prevail?!?! (Never, sigh)

Fued law... ya, let's give People's Court and Jerry Springer more of a run for their money!!

Last edited by Tarkak9; Sep 23rd 2010 at 6:27 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

lets sue advertisers for interfering with my show!!
Excellent idea.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I object to the premiss of it in the first place, pro se or not; the overall waah, blame and "I'm the victim here and someone should pay..." mentality and/or 'I can't be bothered to get self help so I'm gonna sue instead' which is often the case. Its not immediately the game its the behaviour he's become addicted to. Granted, there are legitimate cases but this person had choices over the 5 year period... switch the damn computer off, seek therapy or whatever... he is arguing that there wasn't a disclosure to warn him of the game could be addictive in nature in some fashion... and pursuing an unspecified amount. A person eats chicken wings still knowing that doing so could cause the person to choke on the bones... we might sh!t ourselves while going to the toilet but we still go in the first place... do we sue Hanes or Fruit of the Loom for not having a tag warning us we might get sh!t in our boxers?!? "Inspected by #5" is bad enough

the thing too is that these types of lawsuits are often case law and it then opens up other people to sue gamers, facebook, twitter over their own obsessive compulsive behaviour (which can be intervened). Is it okay for someone to sue BE for being 'addicted' to this site?... how about suing a chinese restaurant or fortune cookie manufacturers because their fortune in the cookie didn't come true.... lets sue a tv station for preventing me from doing something else during an hour because I am compelled to have to watch the show I like... lets sue advertisers for interfering with my show!! - where and when do you draw the line? When will common sense prevail?!?! (Never, sigh)

Fued law... ya, let's give People's Court and Jerry Springer more of a run for their money!!
You obviously understand even the basics of common law negligence. We need 4 elements: duty, breech, causation and damages. If you follow your link, there's a link to the judge's reply to the motion to dismiss where the judge leaves the negligence complaint standing, and lists these out to help the plaintiff. If you've got those 4 elements, you've got a negligence tort case. The way his case is going at the moment (the original complaint is available on the web outside PACER if you search), I don't think he's going to get far into discovery before it all collapses.

What would you suggest we replace common law torts with?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.vo2ov.com/Guerrilla-Warfa...ra_413010.html

Just a thought, mind you.........................on the other hand, maybe not.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:05 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

3 certainties in life... taxes, death and stupid lawsuits. I can't believe the mentality of "I'm the victim here".
You're just grumpy 'cos the plaintiff comes from Kenya

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Would you rather we went back to blood feuds instead of common law torts?
Yep, shoot 'em in the face, that'll learn 'em.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:02 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

the thing too is that these types of lawsuits are often case law
Please elaborate by giving a specific example of a frivolous lawsuit that has become precedent to sustain the successful litigation of other frivolous lawsuits.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 1:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Please elaborate by giving a specific example of a frivolous lawsuit that has become precedent to sustain the successful litigation of other frivolous lawsuits.
well one case where someone crashed a winebago because the cruise control didn't state that it wouldn't steer the thing and they won, which started the trend of stupid warnings...maybe not case law, but daft all the same.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:28 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Did your dentist's roommate's hairdresser's banker's cousin's girlfriend's brother tell you about that one?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:03 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
well one case where someone crashed a winebago because the cruise control didn't state that it wouldn't steer the thing and they won, which started the trend of stupid warnings...maybe not case law, but daft all the same.
http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.