Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another driving license question!!!

Yet another driving license question!!!

Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:32 am
Just Joined

The Original Yanky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another driving license question!!!

Hi guys, hope you're all enjoying the US. We've been living in South Carolina now for 8 years. I still have an original paper GB driving license and am curious about whether I should update it to the new swanky photo version. My brother, who still lives in England, says that I need to. "Easy said than done" I say. We have no plans to live back in the UK, but visit every 4 years.
Has anyone had the pleasant task of successfully doing this? Or am I worried over nothing?
Cheers,
Andy
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another driving license question!!!

Originally Posted by The Original Yanky
Hi guys, hope you're all enjoying the US. We've been living in South Carolina now for 8 years. I still have an original paper GB driving license and am curious about whether I should update it to the new swanky photo version. My brother, who still lives in England, says that I need to. "Easy said than done" I say. We have no plans to live back in the UK, but visit every 4 years.
Has anyone had the pleasant task of successfully doing this? Or am I worried over nothing?
Cheers,
Andy
I think you're better off keeping it as the new ones only last 10 years, also you're not actualy allowed to renew them if you don't live in the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Andy
Only UK residents can renew a UK license. Why would you want to anyway? The one you have doesn't expire until you are 70...the new ones have to be renewed every 10 years.

Most of us use our US DLs to hire cars when we're in the UK.

Edit: It's worth making a note of the license number...just in case you return to the UK and don't have your license. That way the DVLA can look up your details...and they will issue a replacement license.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2010 at 2:07 am.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:45 am
Just Joined

The Original Yanky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sally, that is definatly a can of worms I don't want to open!!
I remember when I first moved here I was asked what my UK drivers license looked like. You should have seen the look on the ladies face when I started to unfold it. Priceless.
How times have changed!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sally, that is definatly a can of worms I don't want to open!!
I remember when I first moved here I was asked what my UK drivers license looked like. You should have seen the look on the ladies face when I started to unfold it. Priceless.
How times have changed!

Welcome to the site, by the way.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Welcome to the site, by the way.

Oh where's my manners?

Welcome to BE TOY.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh where's my manners?

Welcome to BE TOY.
I thought I'd give you a break
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my old UK paper license. The last update on it (LGV license added) was in 1992. Nice it's still usable but it has my old UK address on it so if I rent a car in UK, I use my US license instead.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't need to update the license and you can't and you'd probably use your US license in the UK anyway...keep it locked away as a souvenir
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I still have the paper license too, just so happens my Mum still lives at the address on it, so I still use it when I visit.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I still have the paper license too, just so happens my Mum still lives at the address on it, so I still use it when I visit.
You're most likely not covered by insurance if you use your UK license.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:35 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're most likely not covered by insurance if you use your UK license.
I'm named on my Moms insurance, she told them I was living here and visiting for the summer they said no problem, they used to be my insurance company too (local office)
They have Ds on the policy now too, driving on his US license till he passes his UK test.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm named on my Moms insurance, she told them I was living here and visiting for the summer they said no problem, they used to be my insurance company too (local office)
They have Ds on the policy now too, driving on his US license till he passes his UK test.
I'd get that in writing if I were you...just in case.