Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another Brit wanting to move to the US...

Originally Posted by civilservant
True, but I wouldn't want to live in Kansas - too many tornados
Know exactly what you mean. I used to live in central Kansas.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Boeing in Charleston, SC ..... would be great place to live .....
They have corporate housing?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BradWBA
I finish my course when I'm 24 and will be looking to move there shortly after.

If you have any tips, advice or information on if it is even a possibility for me to move there, advice if I move there or what life is like in New York, that would be lovely! Posts from US citizens and Brits who have moved to the US would be fantastic. Thanks!
Build up a resume in your chosen industry in the UK, and then look for a move to the US when you have something to offer that will make it worthwhile someone forking out the bucks to bring you over. If you could work for a US firm that might eventually transfer you, even better. Life in NYC is hectic and expensive; people either love it or hate it.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of Aerospace around me. General dynamics, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin to name a few.

The OP seems to be certain about the move to the US but has not mentioned any try before you buy type experience.

I highly recommend doing a camp america or work america followed by some travel to at least try and get a taste. Thats what i did.

Starting to network on sites such as linkedin.com won't hurt.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
..... but has not mentioned any try before you buy type experience. ....
Are you advocating that for marriage visas too?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:09 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, NYC is not the way to go, especially in the industry you want to enter.
America is wide and varied place. I would highly recommend, as others have suggested, travelling over here. See a variety of states in the North, South, East and West and you will be amazed at the difference. Even if you want the big city/metro type atmosphere I can think of several cities i would rather live in than NYC.

The other upside to visiting here is, you never know, you may bump into you future wife on your travels, and thus have a relatively easy path to obtaining permanent residency.

Please keep your options open!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a useful tip and since you're young you can tailor your education to capitalize on it.

Commercial spaceflight is undergoing rapid development.

There are several companies on the West Coast involved. Space X, Virgin Galactic/ http://www.thespaceshipcompany.com/

From what I see there will be wonderful opportunities in the future.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I might be wrong but I don't think NYC is a hub of aerospace engineering jobs.
Anyway, if you do find something over here, my advice would be don't even think about coming over (to live in NYC) for less than 50k a year.
Yes and no, there's a lot of small tech companies in NY and Boston, that do bits for the bigger companies.

Still...without experience, it's not likely to happen quickly and best bet is a company transfer.

End of the day, unless it's OxBridge, no one is going to have a clue what the quality of the uni is realistically over here :/
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Aerospace? The left coast for you.

Why can't you study in the US? A visa for a student is a lot easier than anything else. If your goal is the US start now, don't put it off. There's 5k universities in the US and some cater to international students. You may be able to get loans or grants.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Dave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really niceDave2726 is just really nice

Very hard to be taken seriously in US military based aerospace outfits (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Bell, Sikorsky, Textron, Northrop Grumman etc) as a foreign national due to the dreaded ITAR (Google it). Most job descriptions require a "US Person" defined as LPR or USC. Best to look at entirely civilian outfits as a first port of call (ie companies with little to no military products). Perhaps the advice about studying over there is best since you could get an American degree and meet a USC girl at the same time - Greencard/citizenship are about the only ways I've heard of people bypassing the ITAR.

If you fancy a 'try before you buy' type deal the JSF programme is currently about the best US placement going down in Texas - multiple companies, British and American, are placing UK Engineers out there for several years at a time. You are going to need to be experienced though and likely CEng as a minimum. Weirdly, ITAR doesn't seem to be so much of an issue for people on non-immigrant placements, more than likely because they're working on products for their own governments and not the US.

Best course of action, marry a USC! Good luck!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:21 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave2726
Very hard to be taken seriously in US military based aerospace outfits (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Bell, Sikorsky, Textron, Northrop Grumman etc) as a foreign national due to the dreaded ITAR (Google it). Most job descriptions require a "US Person" defined as LPR or USC. Best to look at entirely civilian outfits as a first port of call (ie companies with little to no military products). Perhaps the advice about studying over there is best since you could get an American degree and meet a USC girl at the same time - Greencard/citizenship are about the only ways I've heard of people bypassing the ITAR.

If you fancy a 'try before you buy' type deal the JSF programme is currently about the best US placement going down in Texas - multiple companies, British and American, are placing UK Engineers out there for several years at a time. You are going to need to be experienced though and likely CEng as a minimum. Weirdly, ITAR doesn't seem to be so much of an issue for people on non-immigrant placements, more than likely because they're working on products for their own governments and not the US.

Best course of action, marry a USC! Good luck!
Marry a USC girl...https://www.google.com/search?q=USC+...2F%3B453%3B680 Not a bad choice.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... and IMO New York is hëll on earth ...
I couldn't agree more!
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BradWBA
Well you've probably seen this hundreds of times but, yes, I am looking to move to the US (probably New York) in the future from England.

I am currently 19 years old about 6 months away from going to a very respectable university (Uni of Sheffield) to study for a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering (including a year in industry).

I know a lot of people say that getting a Green Card and moving to the US is a lot harder than it seems, but I feel like I have a good chance. I have done a fair bit of research on the situation (e.g. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA ), but I'm still always looking for new information. I finish my course when I'm 24 and will be looking to move there shortly after.

If you have any tips, advice or information on if it is even a possibility for me to move there, advice if I move there or what life is like in New York, that would be lovely! Posts from US citizens and Brits who have moved to the US would be fantastic. Thanks!
BAE Systems have offices in Rosslyn, Virginia.

Get in locally with BAE, and then try for a Transfer.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
BAE Systems have offices in Rosslyn, Virginia.

Get in locally with BAE, and then try for a Transfer.
They's a office in Boston too...but it is very weeee.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Supporting West Brom is considered a crime involving moral turpitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.