Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Yes ..Im confused over medical health insurance

Yes ..Im confused over medical health insurance

Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:35 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
What vaccination are you having? When I came here I had to have a Tetanus jab ready for my AOS... I went to my local health department office and because it wasn't covered by our insurance at the time I got it for free.

Ash
Bloody Chicken Pox! Couldn't find hardly anyone willing to give it to an adult, eventually found somewhere today that was $75.

Don't know why we have to have it....... bah!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:44 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yes ..Im confused over medical health insurance

Originally posted by sueanne
Just so much to sort out..can anyone recommend a company that is competetive please..
Cheers!
Know what you mean, and it doesn't get any easier once you have it - or at least ours didn't. We're with Unicare at the moment (looking to change) and they are a nightmare. We have 2 toddlers, so have a lot of office visits for jabs and routine checkups, and they ALWAYS reject at least one part of the claim, only paying it after a few chasing phone calls. They are currently taking 90 days to assess 'amendments to claims' - ie bits they cover but have refused to pay for no reason. B'stards, the lot of them!

Anyway, to answer your question, try www.insurance.com and go to the health section - you can plug in your basic details (age, sex, smoker or not, zip code) and they'll give you a selection of quotes instantly, including for the family if applicable.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
Bloody Chicken Pox! Couldn't find hardly anyone willing to give it to an adult, eventually found somewhere today that was $75.

Don't know why we have to have it....... bah!
Are you sure you need that?... Maybe things have changed but when I came over people from the UK did not need that because the Varicela [sp?] jab is not available over there.

Ash
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:04 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

mmm, you think you're all badly off..

Ha!!!

try being in a 'high risk occupation' thats when the shite really hits the fan.

what does your husband actually do? please don't say any of the following or you can kiss your health insurance goodbye...

1) Pilot (unless you weork
2) Co-Pilot
3) Flying Instructor
4) Skydiving Instructor
5) Diving Instructor / Professional Diver
6) Stuntman
7) Cliff Diver
8) Lion Tamer
9) Tightrope Walker
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:15 pm
Professional Mover

RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Are you sure you need that?... Maybe things have changed but when I came over people from the UK did not need that because the Varicela [sp?] jab is not available over there.

Ash
You don't need it as part of the London interview as it isn't available in the UK, but when you put in for AOS you need it as part of your vaccination supplement.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need it as part of the London interview as it isn't available in the UK, but when you put in for AOS you need it as part of your vaccination supplement.
Hmmm... things must have changed a little since last year.

Ash
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:24 pm
Professional Mover

Hmmm... things must have changed a little since last year.

Ash
I might be wrong, but I was told that at the Embassy Doc's in London in July last year.......
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:37 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

I interviewed for K1 in London in October 2002. I arrived here a couple of months later and had my AOS interview the following May.

I had read on the marriage-based board that I needed to get varicella before AOS, along with the I-693 supplement to the medical. I went ahead and did it. At the AOS interview in Dallas last May the guy said if we hadn't had the I-693 with proof of varicella vaccination he would have delayed our approval till we got it.

I rang round and found a Prima-Care who would give varicella to adults. Didn't cost much and saved a lot of hassle. I then took proof I'd had it to a civil surgeon, who filled out the I-693. They won't take the word of any doc - only a civil surgeon. The ones based in clinics tend to be cheaper. They give you a sealed envelope to take to the AOS interview.

Hope that helps. You might want to ask around on the marriage-based forum for more recent experiences than mine.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Last edited by Scarlett-Dallas; Jun 29th 2004 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I might be wrong, but I was told that at the Embassy Doc's in London in July last year.......
probably things have just changed... I had my london interview Oct 2002 seems like yesterday!I remember the Doc told me I needed the MMR and Tetanus jab nothing about the varcella (luckly). Not that it really mattered I have yet to be asked for proof that I had them or asked to show the xray I had done at the interview they couldn't give a toss.

Ash
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:46 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

probably things have just changed... I had my london interview Oct 2002 seems like yesterday!I remember the Doc told me I needed the MMR and Tetanus jab nothing about the varcella (luckly). Not that it really mattered I have yet to be asked for proof that I had them or asked to show the xray I had done at the interview they couldn't give a toss.

Ash
They do give a toss - they just give it at the AOS interview

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:52 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
mmm, you think you're all badly off..

Ha!!!

try being in a 'high risk occupation' thats when the shite really hits the fan.

what does your husband actually do? please don't say any of the following or you can kiss your health insurance goodbye...

1) Pilot (unless you weork
2) Co-Pilot
3) Flying Instructor
4) Skydiving Instructor
5) Diving Instructor / Professional Diver
6) Stuntman
7) Cliff Diver
8) Lion Tamer
9) Tightrope Walker
Why on earth would your occupation have a flying f**k to do with health insurance? Occupational risks are covered by Workman's Comp- not home health policies...unless you are a contractor and not an employee covered under the employer's WC package (who would pay much more for those employees). Life insurance would also be more due to your vocation I am sure.

Last edited by ironporer; Jun 30th 2004 at 9:07 am.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:54 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
unfortunately clarinex is the brand - neoclarityn is the generic i used in the UK - not available here :-(

clarityn itself does nothing for me unfortunately
The info I found mentioned desloritadine tablets in general, but having reread it, it looks like it will you cannot yet get tablets made by anyone else so you are stuck with the brand name costs for the time being, sorry
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:00 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ironporer
Why on earth would your occupation have a flying f**k to do with health insurance? Occupational risks are covered by Workman's Comp- not home health policies...unless you are a contractor and not an employee coveres under the employer's WC package (who would pay much more for those employees). Life insurance would also be more due to your vocation I am sure.
It's to do with with your assumed mental state if you choose to do one of these occupations
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:28 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Scarlett-Dallas
I had read on the marriage-based board that I needed to get varicella before AOS, along with the I-693 supplement to the medical. I went ahead and did it. At the AOS interview in Dallas last May the guy said if we hadn't had the I-693 with proof of varicella vaccination he would have delayed our approval till we got it.
I did Consular Processing in London for GC a month ago, and I had done the Varicella just outside DC, when I got to the docs in London, they said I needn't have done it as Varicella isn't available in Blighty, however if I had AOS'd in the states then it's a must. Live'n'learn.

Cheers
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:19 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by ironporer
Why on earth would your occupation have a flying f**k to do with health insurance? Occupational risks are covered by Workman's Comp- not home health policies...unless you are a contractor and not an employee covered under the employer's WC package (who would pay much more for those employees). Life insurance would also be more due to your vocation I am sure.

I have no idea, but thats the excuse they gave me when I asked why the hell I have to pay so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.