Yaaaaaawn!

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Yaaaaaawn!

Yes you guessed it! Insurance

So what did you do when you first arrived regarding medical cover?

We will arrive in the US as PR's and will get jobs once we arrive (my huz has had an offer so we do not think it will take to long before at least one of us is working - but realise that usually you have to be working for at least 3 months before the benefits kick in)... so... do we:

a) take out holiday travel insurance when we book our flights in the UK and extend it to cover us for a few months (can we even do that as PR's?)

b) set up temporary cover with the Blue Cross for example, to begin on the day we are due to arrive?

Okay..... so just to complicate things a little further! We are hoping to add a baby to the family in the not too distant future. We have been wanting to have a baby for a while now but have been very sensible and not allowed that to happen as really we want to be settled in our new home/ new country first.

Now I am trying to work out when the earliest will be before we can have a baby because we will want to be covered with insurance so that we do not end up with some of those astronomical hospital fees I have read so much about. I read somewhere that you should be insured for 3 months prior to conception and then I read somewhere else that you have to have had the policy for 12 months!!!

Grateful for any replies.........
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 6:57 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We purchased a holiday insurance in the UK.
It covered us for any emergencys.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by excpomea
We purchased a holiday insurance in the UK.
It covered us for any emergencys.
How long did you take it for? Six months??
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:07 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
How long did you take it for? Six months??

We actually took oout an annual policy through the MOD (I was in the Navy at the time)

I was a good decision, My wife ended up in the ER with Pancriatitus (?) It would have cost us thousands without the insurance.

We were lucky though, the Health insurance with our jobs kicked in as soon as we started work.
So we were only relying on the insuance policy for about 3 months.

I think the annual policy was about 85 UK pounds. That was in 99 though.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:36 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My company gives me free medical insurance, but the time between me arriving in the US and starting work (2 weeks) was not covered,so I tried to get my usual holiday insurance to cover me but they wouldn't as I would no longer be resident in the UK. Don't assume that holiday insurance will cover you becasue, after all, you're not really on holiday as you are a US permanent resident. I made a fuss to my company and told them if I wasn't going to be covered then I wouldn't go, so they took out a different short-term policy to cover me for those 2 weeks, so at least I know they exist. I haven't got the details on me right now as I'm in CT, but when I get back to Phoenix tonight I'll have a look to see what the company's name is.

Last edited by Rockgurl; Feb 4th 2004 at 1:49 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
My company gives me free medical insurance, but the time between me arriving in the US and starting work (2 weeks) was not covered,so I tried to get my usual holiday insurance to cover me but they wouldn't as I would no longer be resident in the UK. Don't assume that holiday insurance will cover you becasue, after all, you're not really on holiday as you are a US permanent resident. I made a fuss to my company and told them if I wasn't going to be covered then I wouldn't go, so they took out a different short-term policy to cover me for those 2 weeks, so at least I know they exist. I haven't got the details on me right now as I'm in CT, but when I get back to Phoenix tonight I'll have a look to see what the company's name is.

Cool! Thanx Rockgirl. Long time no speak - hope all is going well for you - we must catch up