Wikiposts

Xmas UK Flights

Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Xmas UK Flights

Originally Posted by keaki80
Hi MrsY,
Good luck.. it would be interesting to know where you are in WA.
We are on the Eastside in Redmond, Microsoft Ville!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

MrsY will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the advice!
I think we will wait a while and hope that we will get a good price!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:10 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

The Yapta website tracks flight prices continuously to help one choose the best time to buy air tickets. (I think I'd heard of Yapta via one of the travel magazines).

http://www.yapta.com

http://www.yapta.com/how/

They claim to be able to arrange a refund if you've purchased a ticket and then the price drops for these airlines only:

http://www.yapta.com/airline-refunds/

Review from 'Travel & Leisure" magazine: http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ebsites-2010/4

It might be worth a try. You can also see a graph of trends of ticket prices on http://www.kayak.com

Sadly, with oil prices seemingly on the up and up, who knows what is going to happen with flight prices? The airlines seem to continue to charge (the same high prices) for the fuel surcharge even when oil prices go down...

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 20th 2011 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:35 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus
On the subject of flights I'm looking to fly back to LHR from here in NC (RDU airport) direct with AA and for myself, wife and 3 year old son we will be paying $1200 each for a seat. Seems as if its a lot cheaper coming the other way from LHR to RDU though (and paying in £). Same flights as well.
How's your credit rating? Free AA miles are particularly easy to come by. Have a rummage on Flyertalk. Mrs tonrob and I have picked up around 300,000 since October without even setting foot on a plane - enough for 5 adult round-trip tickets in economy. (Flexibility re travel dates always helps redemption, so - as always - YMMV).
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsY
We are on the Eastside in Redmond, Microsoft Ville!
Too far from me then, to meet for a cuppa!! Good luck on the Christmas flights. I'm hoping to go back about October and this time use air-miles. Unfortunately, they DO need to be booked up long in advance.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

On the subject of flight prices, we want to fly to the UK from Seattle this summer but I'm not seeing any return prices much below $1300 per seat. I've been trying the yapta site but I didn't find anything much cheaper by varying the dates.

Would it be cheaper to buy the tickets in GBP via a UK site I wonder ? Are you allowed to do that ?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:34 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
On the subject of flight prices, we want to fly to the UK from Seattle this summer but I'm not seeing any return prices much below $1300 per seat. I've been trying the yapta site but I didn't find anything much cheaper by varying the dates.

Would it be cheaper to buy the tickets in GBP via a UK site I wonder ? Are you allowed to do that ?
If the website will let you then it is allowed. Shouldn't in theory be any cheaper as I believe the prices are set according to the country of departure rather than the country the ticket is purchased in.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy

I usually fly BA. I can book online here in USA for my son to come out from UK, so the answer is yes. For other air-lines I can't say, we use Sea-Tac a lot. Shop around with the times you go to book as well. Whatever people say should be the standard, is not the case. It is a very weird set-up and no-one can seem to give a really sensible answer as to the ridiculously varying prices on the SAME flight!(I don't mean in ex-pats, I mean the people at the air-lines themselves.) I watched an airline chief explaining ticket prices and he doesn't seem to understand it either!! My son was on his computer in UK and me on mine in the USA and his was showing cheaper prices than mine, (even though I was on the UK home page!) We went with his computer and got the cheaper flight. It is a crazy situation.
The other thing is to try Vancouver, Addyladdy, sometimes their prices can vary between $100 - 200 per ticket. We chop and change. Vancouver is so much easier for us, but Sea-Tac tends to be cheaper.. but not always!!!
By the way, $1300 is a LOT!

Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I usually fly BA. I can book online here in USA for my son to come out from UK, so the answer is yes. For other air-lines I can't say, we use Sea-Tac a lot. Shop around with the times you go to book as well. Whatever people say should be the standard, is not the case. It is a very weird set-up and no-one can seem to give a really sensible answer as to the ridiculously varying prices on the SAME flight!(I don't mean in ex-pats, I mean the people at the air-lines themselves.) I watched an airline chief explaining ticket prices and he doesn't seem to understand it either!! My son was on his computer in UK and me on mine in the USA and his was showing cheaper prices than mine, (even though I was on the UK home page!) We went with his computer and got the cheaper flight. It is a crazy situation.
The other thing is to try Vancouver, Addyladdy, sometimes their prices can vary between $100 - 200 per ticket. We chop and change. Vancouver is so much easier for us, but Sea-Tac tends to be cheaper.. but not always!!!

Good luck.
Thanks keaki80, I've tried Vancouver too but it seems more expensive. Perhaps I could also look for Thomas Cook package flights out of there, but I guess they're only during the winter/ski season.
I'm mostly getting $1300-$1500 prices which is a lot especially as I need to buy 6 return tickets - ouch!
We need to get to relatives in Birmingham in the end, so I may try the Delta/KLM flight to Holland and then hop back. Probably quicker and cheaper than transporting all six of us to/from London.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:16 am
Septic Sprout

Good luck.
It's not that complicated. Airlines, like hotels, have demand-based pricing. The price of a ticket rises through a number of fare "buckets". An over-simplified way of looking at it is that the plane you will fly on will have the first X seats in each class sold at $X (cheap price), the next X number of seats at $XX and the next at $XXX etc. That's why numbers quoted about someone who paid whatever, whenever are usually about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

If you want the deeper inside scoop on how airline pricing works and then use this to your advantage then be prepared to do some research on a specialized forum like Flyertalk.