Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Xmas Trees in Florida

Xmas Trees in Florida

Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

SuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to all
Default Xmas Trees in Florida

Can you get real ones in Florida or are they all fake?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas Trees in Florida

It took 2 seconds on Google to find this:

http://www.flchristmastrees.com/
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

You'll start seeing all the home improvement stores getting their Christmas tree tents up in the next few weeks. Look to spend between $50 and $150 for a tree from one of them. You'll have to have a good dig through to find a decent one though.

Good hunting
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Xmas Trees in Florida

Believe it or not but you can actually buy real Christmas trees in tropical Singapore (which is just 85 miles north of the Equator!). They even sell them in IKEA.

I can just imagine all the needles dropping as soon as it a real tree is brought home there - but if you turn on the air-con to max the electricity bills are horrendously expensive.

TBH Christmas feels really weird in the tropics; I'll be there this Christmas (approx my 7th experience of an Xmas in tropical climes) but all the shops are open on Christmas Day (they only close at Chinese New Year) and it just doesn't have that cosy feeling. Last year we were celebrating Christmas in New Jersey with an Australian expat family and they think it's weird having cold weather at Christmas!

How does it feel being an expat in Florida at Christmas, do you get used to it with the weather and daylight hours being so different to a Christmas in Blighty?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

SuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to allSuperOwls is a name known to all

[QUOTE=
How does it feel being an expat in Florida at Christmas, do you get used to it with the weather and daylight hours being so different to a Christmas in Blighty?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. First one in Florida. I will let you know on Boxing day
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Xmas Trees in Florida

Originally Posted by SuperOwls
I have no idea. First one in Florida. I will let you know on Boxing day

You may find that a lot of locals throw out their Christmas Trees and leave them at the kerb on Boxing Day (which is a normal working day.....you are sooo lucky that Christmas Day is on a Saturday this year!)
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can, just look around.

Originally Posted by Englishmum

How does it feel being an expat in Florida at Christmas, do you get used to it with the weather and daylight hours being so different to a Christmas in Blighty?
I only miss the few days of snow we used to get. The rest of the time I'll take the 70F, a BBQ and a few beers.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Yes you can, just look around.

I only miss the few days of snow we used to get. The rest of the time I'll take the 70F, a BBQ and a few beers.
Christmas is pretty crappy in FL, only one day off and no snow on the actual day.

SuperOwls, I'm guessing you are a Wednesday fan?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Christmas trees are on the move, i saw a load of them on a trailer this week up here in New Hampshire.
If it were me buying one i'd get one of the first batch that comes in then i could keep it fed and watered, poor things are undernourished when they get there and only get worse waiting for someone to give them a good home
Some people say cut 2 inches off the bottom of the trunk so it can suck up the water better.

I didn't say you have to decorate it now but take care of it till you do
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by explorerman
Christmas is pretty crappy in FL, only one day off and no snow on the actual day.

Unfortunately yes
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:28 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by explorerman

I've got the Christmas week off, well sort of, it's my turn to be on call this year.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Owl_79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SuperOwls
Unfortunately yes
Look on the bright side, you might not be for much longer......................
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan at all - it still just doesn't feel "right" to me. Daylight hours are not that different, but of course the weather is. One year, it rained all day....and I actually felt much more at home that year

One of these years I think we'll have to book the skiing trip over Christmas; see if we can get some sort of Christmas feel to it....of course the other Christmas problem in the US is that it is a one day event; Boxing Day doesn't exist and most people just work, as they've just blown all their vacation time for Thanksgiving, which in itself is a Christmas killer IMO.....far too close on the calendar.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that a lot of locals throw out their Christmas Trees and leave them at the kerb on Boxing Day (which is a normal working day.....you are sooo lucky that Christmas Day is on a Saturday this year!)
Absolutely right; I agree - As Christmas day is on a Saturday, a lot of people will get the Christmas Eve Friday off in lieu....then a forced Boxing Day on Sunday, yay!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Owl_79
Look on the bright side, you might not be for much longer......................
28 days of more torture!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.