Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

XE.com - getting slow?

XE.com - getting slow?

Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:18 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: XE.com - getting slow?

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Do you pay for the transfer? I use the free XE service so it's not done via wire transfers.
Me too, mine typically take the same amount of time as yours are.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Do you pay for the transfer? I use the free XE service so it's not done via wire transfers.
Personally I don't "pay" as such - the transfer from Lloyds to XE is free, and the ACH payment from XE to HSBC is free. However, XE call it a "wire" from Lloyds to XE. Whether it really is, I don't know!

Of course, they make their money on the exchange rate - but so does everybody, some more so than others.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I noticed it took longer this month. I figure because there was a bank holiday plus a national holiday.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think mine have always taken about a week or so - I don't really have a need to do them urgently or regularly so no biggie.

As an aside, what I'm wondering though is does xe still have a competitive rate? I've not checked other providers lately, and it might just be me, but I don't think xe's commission withholding rate is that great really. For instance, one of my US credit cards just about gives the live rate when used abroad - they eat the fees. Nowadays when I travel to the UK I tend to use that.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

My last transfer from UK First Direct to US Chase came through. They sent a check to my house for some reason though instead of putting it into the bank directly.
Took 1 week to come but a couple of days longer as I didn't check my mail.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

mancave3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

XE, UKForex. What is the best for low rates please?
I transfered some from a UK bank to a US bank and lost 10%
Old Sep 14th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancave3000
Without wishing to be rude, why don't you look it up? One minute XE might be better; the next minute UKForex might be better - the rates fluctuate constantly.

10% of what? You must have some reference point to come up with that figure - though the banks' rates are crappier than the forexes.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Day 1 trade booked
Day 2 BPay into Australia account
Day 4 Money is US

& it was a large sum too....
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The problems seem the other way.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancave3000
I have never, ever transferred any money without talking to an associate. They give you better than online quote. Just tell them competitor rate and see what they can do. If they can not, just dont give them the business....

Like anything in life...you have to negotiate and find the right deal that works for you. . .
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Latest transfer: setup transaction on 11th, transfer to XE within a couple of minutes, recorded as credited to my HSBC business on 13th.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:45 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Maybe OP ought to clarify which direction the money is going, which might make a difference! Also which banks (not using XE but eg Lloyds wire transfers to the US take 2-3 days longer than Santander).
Yes, I have noticed that transfers from UK to US are noticeably quicker than the other way around. I too have a Lloyds UK account and transfer the money electronically from Lloyds to XE (XE call it a wire but it's free from Lloyds). Most banks in the US that I've come across don't let you make transfers like that for free if it's instigated by the bank (rather than being debited from the account).

I seem to recall that my last UK to US transfer took maybe 3 days and my last US to UK transfer was more like 10 days...