Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

xbox usa - anyone know how to safely connect 1 in the uk?

Wikiposts

xbox usa - anyone know how to safely connect 1 in the uk?

Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:50 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: xbox usa - anyone know how to safely connect 1 in the uk?

Originally Posted by powerflower
Okay, got me an xbox from the US brought it back here to the UK.

read a few horror stories on ppl using the wrong power supply and wrecking their homes with flames.

anyone know how to safely do this as in - use the xbox with the us games, which IS legit, in the UK.

Assume the tv is compliamt - so the matter is a proven way of doing the power supply, such that it doesnt blow your house up.
You might want to ask over on uk-yankees.com they take all kinds of stuff to UK when they move and usually know what will work after they have tried everything
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
My son (13) says you just need to get a cable direct from Microsoft?

I hope he is right.
For the power, yes.

Won't sort out the problem of keeping the live account going, nor the ability to use US specific apps....so creating a new account would be best, but then you lose all your DLC from the US account.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 5:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Mare keeping the live account current though.
You have to contact Microsoft and get them to change the locale of your Xbox Live account, you can't do it through the device itself. Apparently it is possible though.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You have to contact Microsoft and get them to change the locale of your Xbox Live account, you can't do it through the device itself. Apparently it is possible though.
In theory, the reality isn't quite true though as the DLC is often country/publisher specific, it tends to get in the way of it, that and it's not a goer changing the credit card, it's one of the biggest jokes around.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well you won't be able to access the DLC anymore if it is region-specific but the locale can be changed. I'm told. Just about to try doing it myself actually, I'll report back.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

When I asked about it they said I needed to sign up to a new gamertag.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well you can always order the xbox live cards from a US retailer if it comes down to it and enter the code, I'm surprised they don't just use IP restrictions like everyone else does.

Anyway let me call them.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 1:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Groan, no you can't do it, well you can but not after you've signed up for Xbox Live because the licence agreement is region specific and cannot be undone. Apparently they're aware of the problem and when the service is extended to new countries there is a new licence agreement that does allow for it, but that doesn't help me.

New gamertag is the only way. Unless you're moving from Bulgaria to Romania or something like that.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by powerflower
more cpmplicated than just getting an appropriate power source.

Questions is - Has anyone here actualy connected a XBox lets assume a brand new one to a UK powere source which has blown up their house?

I know step up and step down voltages majored in physics for my BSc.

it is experience of someone doing it i seek, not supposition.
Its not actually that difficult.

Changing over the power source is easy, just get yourself to an electrical retailer and purchase the battery pack plug.

Getting online is also easy, just turn it on. Where you will have the problem as has been discussed is in he Xbox Live features.

Your IP address will not allow you to use many of your US apps etc, and you cannot switch your Xbox ID to relocate to the UK.

Games wise you will find some are not region specific but quite a lot are. Still it might be cheaper to buy your games on eBay...

Good Luck.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well you can always order the xbox live cards from a US retailer if it comes down to it and enter the code, I'm surprised they don't just use IP restrictions like everyone else does.

Anyway let me call them.

When it came to buying Xbox Live subscription I had the wife here in America purchase it for me. If you have family back in the USA you should be ok.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I used a 12month subscription that I bought in the UK on my US gamertag despite them telling me that it wouldn't work.