Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow - Skype is amazing

Wow - Skype is amazing

Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:00 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

What does this mean?

"but if your SkypeIn number is in the United States and they call from another country, they pay for the international nature of the call."

I understand I can choose a UK number for my UK friends to use to call me, but if they have to pay the international part of the call because I am really in the US then what is the point of me having a UK phone number?

http://www.skype.com/products/skypein/
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
What does this mean?

"but if your SkypeIn number is in the United States and they call from another country, they pay for the international nature of the call."

I understand I can choose a UK number for my UK friends to use to call me, but if they have to pay the international part of the call because I am really in the US then what is the point of me having a UK phone number?

http://www.skype.com/products/skypein/
If you have a UK number its charged to them as a UK call. Doesnt matter where you physically are.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Just out of interest, how long before your ISP finds some way of banning skype, as I presume people like Verizon have a conflict of interests
They can't legally ban it. Skype is the same as all the other VoIP services like vonage, lingo, etc. My ISP (Cox Communications) has started their own VoIP service which is el cheapo for cox customers so I may check that out as well.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 12:29 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
My ISP (Cox Communications) has started their own VoIP service which is el cheapo for cox customers so I may check that out as well.
But it's not free, which was my point
Old Jan 13th 2006, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
But it's not free, which was my point
Skype isnt free if you go to a land line or mobile phone.
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Back to Skype:

My employer is testing Skype phones, I will report back if they are any good.
The skype phone works great, only problem I found there was no instruction book with it. I first used it to call my son in u.k. and didn't have it fully charged so had to use the land line when the battery went dead. He said the skype phone was much better. Radioshack had a better deal than skype I paid $120 with a $15 mail in rebate.
You can't beat the Skype prices $80 bought me about a months calls with Sprint, it cost me $10 with Skype.