Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wow - Skype is amazing

Wow - Skype is amazing

Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:05 pm
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Wow - Skype is amazing

I'm not really into techno-gadgets so for the last few weeks have been totally disinterested when my husband has gone online and talking to his brother in England or an old colleague in Singapore.

However, my husband is on his first business trip of the year - 2 weeks in London and 1 week in Geneva, so he was keen for me to sign up to Skype so we can talk to each other free of charge. I was skeptical at first, thinking that in previous years we've tried to talk online and there were problems with time delays, feedback or the connection crashing.

Well...I'm astonished at how good this Skype is. He's put a webcam on my laptop and has one on his and we've just been chatting and looking at each other for half an hour. The sound quality is as if he is in the same room as me (I did plug in headphones to my laptop with a microphone attached, like a phone operator) although our PC has a microphone attached to it if you don't want to wear headphones. Best of all I was able to see him in real time and the picture quality was amazing (the bugger decided to do a striptease LOL!).

He even pointed the webcam to a BBC TV programme about the aristocracy/old money still owning most of the land in the UK....could quite clearly see Peter Snow and again the picture and sound quality was brilliant....wish my mum was computer savvy as I'd have her pointing it at the TV every night to watch my favourite British TV programmes LOL!

Even better is that it was all free of charge as the call was computer to computer. However, you can also call across the world to a conventional phone really cheaply eg. approx 2c per minute, although calling mobile phones overseas are around 23-29c per minute depending on which country. For the calls that you have to pay for (ie. when phoning my mum who doesn't use a computer) you just choose to pay say, $10 to buy airtime and top up when you run out. There is a worldwide directory and we're finding some friends are signing up to Skype. You obviously hope they're online when you are so you can call them for free, but for family or friends back home whom you call regularly you can just mutually decide to go online at around the same time.

It's definitely worth checking out:

http://www.skype.com

Forgot to mention; you can do three way conference calls as well.....I was chatting to my friend when we were testing it out before he flew off on Saturday and he was off somewhere with his laptop. He spotted that I was online and joined in the conversation I was having with my friend (you can choose not to invite a third party to your existing call if you wish)

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 10th 2006 at 9:09 pm.
Englishmum is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:06 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: mid-west
Posts: 413
MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm not really into techno-gadgets so for the last few weeks have been totally disinterested when my husband has gone online and talking to his brother in England or an old colleague in Singapore.

However, my husband is on his first business trip of the year - 2 weeks in London and 1 week in Geneva, so he was keen for me to sign up to Skype so we can talk to each other free of charge. I was skeptical at first, thinking that in previous years we've tried to talk online and there were problems with time delays, feedback or the connection crashing.

Well...I'm astonished at how good this Skype is. He's put a webcam on my laptop and has one on his and we've just been chatting and looking at each other for half an hour. The sound quality is as if he is in the same room as me (I did plug in headphones to my laptop with a microphone attached, like a phone operator) although our PC has a microphone attached to it if you don't want to wear headphones. Best of all I was able to see him in real time and the picture quality was amazing (the bugger decided to do a striptease LOL!).

He even pointed the webcam to a BBC TV programme about the aristocracy/old money still owning most of the land in the UK....could quite clearly see Peter Snow and again the picture and sound quality was brilliant....wish my mum was computer savvy as I'd have her pointing it at the TV every night to watch my favourite British TV programmes LOL!

Even better is that it was all free of charge as the call was computer to computer. However, you can also call across the world to a conventional phone really cheaply eg. approx 2c per minute, although calling mobile phones overseas are around 23-29c per minute depending on which country. For the calls that you have to pay for (ie. when phoning my mum who doesn't use a computer) you just choose to pay say, $10 to buy airtime and top up when you run out. There is a worldwide directory and we're finding some friends are signing up to Skype. You obviously hope they're online when you are so you can call them for free, but for family or friends back home whom you call regularly you can just mutually decide to go online at around the same time.

It's definitely worth checking out:

http://www.skype.com
I second the above....
MrDub is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:10 pm
  #3  
stara koka masna juha
 
cutina's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,203
cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

gotta love skype, now they have a webcam thing too which is great!
cutina is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:13 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by Englishmum
He's put a webcam on my laptop and has one on his and we've just been chatting and looking at each other for half an hour.
Nudge nudge, wink wink
Rushman is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:27 am
  #5  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by rushman
Nudge nudge, wink wink
Well I wasn't going to be stripping off as my teenage son was in the room LOL.....but when you think about it phone sex can be taken to a whole new level when you have a high quality picture on your webcam and free Skype.

It could be an interesting weekend......
Englishmum is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:44 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
redlobster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 121
redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Skype is great,we have had it for a year now, and I hardly use the landline.
I ring the UK everyday and speak to my grandaughter.
I havent tried the webcam yet though,I thought it might make me a bit sad if I saw them !!
Redlobster
redlobster is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:15 am
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,220
Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well I wasn't going to be stripping off as my teenage son was in the room LOL.....but when you think about it phone sex can be taken to a whole new level when you have a high quality picture on your webcam and free Skype.

It could be an interesting weekend......
Gave me blisters on the palm of my hands!!!
Rushman is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:43 am
  #8  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

I'll stick with my Lingo, thanks!
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:31 pm
  #9  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by rushman
Gave me blisters on the palm of my hands!!!

Ha ha ha!!!!

I take it that you have had a transatlantic relationship yourself then?!

I'll probably go for a recce to Babes in Toyland in SoHo (NYC) later to buy a toy or two LOL! (It's like an Ann Summers shop).

Apparently Tesco's, Asda and Boots are selling vibrators in their aisles but I just can't see our local NJ supermarkets selling such things so I've got to traipse into New York....


http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...550579,00.html

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=1227502004
Englishmum is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 2:49 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
eepgmik's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22
eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by cutina
gotta love skype, now they have a webcam thing too which is great!
What speed Internet connection are you using for the webcam? In my experience (with Yahoo and MSN Messenger) the update rate has been so rubbish with even a 1Mb connection that we just kept to speech. I haven't tried the webcam with Skype yet though.

However, SkypeIn and SkypeOut are my lifeblood - I have a UK number set up with SkypeIn so that friends from home can call me on that and it gets routed to my computer when it's on - I pay nothing. It goes a step further though - when I'm not online it gets routed to my mobile via SkypeOut for only 2c a minute. Bloody fantastic!

The other advantage to SkypeOut is that it sounds MUCH better than a conversation over POTS (plain old telephone system).

Martin
eepgmik is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:10 pm
  #11  
~ Relocated to Texas ~
 
CaliforniaBride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Location, Location.
Posts: 4,885
CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by redlobster
I havent tried the webcam yet though,I thought it might make me a bit sad if I saw them !!
I heartly recommend it. My mother does it with my son and although she does get sad, she's sad because he's here and she's there. Seeing him on the webcam brings him a little closer. She loves it. I really do recommend it.

You might find this book useful. I know my mother has.
CaliforniaBride is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:20 pm
  #12  
The American Job
 
britontour's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 579
britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by eepgmik
What speed Internet connection are you using for the webcam? In my experience (with Yahoo and MSN Messenger) the update rate has been so rubbish with even a 1Mb connection that we just kept to speech. I haven't tried the webcam with Skype yet though.

However, SkypeIn and SkypeOut are my lifeblood - I have a UK number set up with SkypeIn so that friends from home can call me on that and it gets routed to my computer when it's on - I pay nothing. It goes a step further though - when I'm not online it gets routed to my mobile via SkypeOut for only 2c a minute. Bloody fantastic!

The other advantage to SkypeOut is that it sounds MUCH better than a conversation over POTS (plain old telephone system).

Martin
I hadn't noticed they had put the call forwarding option in so thanks
britontour is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:24 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: mid-west
Posts: 413
MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by eepgmik
What speed Internet connection are you using for the webcam? In my experience (with Yahoo and MSN Messenger) the update rate has been so rubbish with even a 1Mb connection that we just kept to speech. I haven't tried the webcam with Skype yet though.

However, SkypeIn and SkypeOut are my lifeblood - I have a UK number set up with SkypeIn so that friends from home can call me on that and it gets routed to my computer when it's on - I pay nothing. It goes a step further though - when I'm not online it gets routed to my mobile via SkypeOut for only 2c a minute. Bloody fantastic!

The other advantage to SkypeOut is that it sounds MUCH better than a conversation over POTS (plain old telephone system).

Martin
I used to use MSN for video though find skype definetly much better.
MrDub is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:30 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
willmore's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 61,698
willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Skype is wonderful - use it free to talk to friends/relatives all over the world!
willmore is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2006, 6:19 pm
  #15  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow - Skype is amazing

Originally Posted by eepgmik
What speed Internet connection are you using for the webcam? In my experience (with Yahoo and MSN Messenger) the update rate has been so rubbish with even a 1Mb connection that we just kept to speech. I haven't tried the webcam with Skype yet though.

The other advantage to SkypeOut is that it sounds MUCH better than a conversation over POTS (plain old telephone system).

Martin
Don't know about the speed (we have internet connection via our cable tv service Comcast) and right now my husband is on a Skype call in his London hotel to a business colleague here in the New York office (and saving the company some money LOL!).

I'll try and find out this afternoon....I'm just using my little Costco laptop and I'm getting fantastic voice and video service with Skype (the webcam is the 'Creative' brand).
Englishmum is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.