Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again?

Would you do it again?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Would you do it again?

Originally Posted by William Shaw
This forum is full of (generally good natured) observations about the frustrations of life as an expat in the States.

I am going through the process of moving my family to Connecticut in the coming months and am evaluating pros and cons.

I would be interested to hear from you caustic veterans, if you could start again, whether you would have moved to the US at all and if so what you would have done differently.

Also, what was your greatest culture/lifestyle shock?
Funny as it may seem, I have always had an inkling that I would end up living in the states. Life has brought me into contact with many Americans. I have had several American girlfriends, causing me to visit America many times before I eventually met my wife to be. When I did eventually move here I was very happy to be coming stateside. Was I surprised? Not in the least. However, no matter how many times you visit a country, actually living there will always give you culture shock. Dealing with offialdom, ordering in restaurants, mixing with the locals, getting used to the way things are done in a particular country will always surprise you, confuse you, and give you a steep learning curve to overcome.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:56 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you do it again?

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm young, married, no kids, have decently paid full time employment - but DH is a full time student.
Higer education = goodbye $$$ !
ahem PMSL
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ray
... but when I did work....no short hours for me ..
Yes but the job satisfaction was immense.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lionheart
ahem PMSL
I was going to say that this higer ejoomication aint what it used to be....I'd ask for my money back if I were you
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:00 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I was going to say that this higer ejoomication aint what it used to be....I'd ask for my money back if I were you
Why aint you watching the Everton match?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:05 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot something. As I am here on an H4 visa I have no social security number and that makes me feel invisible at times. Yesterday I took my youngest to the music shop to set up the hire of her clarinet. (school music lessons). I forgot that I would be turned away because of the lack of ss number. I felt like an unwanted immigrant, which I probably am.
I think it may be different if you are comming on an L visa and your OH can work and so have that magic number.

In the post today is an advert for government employees. Non residents and convicted felons need not apply. That said it all.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the job satisfaction was immense.
you betcha ........
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Best I ever pulled of without anything beyond HS level was $10/hr and that was in CA where prices are a lot higher. Don't really see how anyone here can make it without a degree of some sort. Not that I'm a degree snob - much rather have found a way without one. I suppose there are careers here in the states where you can do OK without higher educ, but how many Firemen, Policemen can there be?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:08 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Best I ever pulled of without anything beyond HS level was $10/hr and that was in CA where prices are a lot higher. Don't really see how anyone here can make it without a degree of some sort. Not that I'm a degree snob - much rather have found a way without one. I suppose there are careers here in the states where you can do OK without higher educ, but how many Firemen, Policemen can there be?
Aqueduct Builders.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why aint you watching the Everton match?
SHit

woohoo own goal....1-0 everton.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Sep 19th 2006 at 7:11 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Aqueduct Builders.
Ah, the voice of reason.
Allright Gruff.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I forgot something. As I am here on an H4 visa I have no social security number and that makes me feel invisible at times. Yesterday I took my youngest to the music shop to set up the hire of her clarinet. (school music lessons). I forgot that I would be turned away because of the lack of ss number. I felt like an unwanted immigrant, which I probably am.
I think it may be different if you are comming on an L visa and your OH can work and so have that magic number.

In the post today is an advert for government employees. Non residents and convicted felons need not apply. That said it all.
Aw dear. I know how that felt. I came here at a time when L2's couldn't work - he only signed it into law recently, so know exactly what it was like - and yes, I too felt like a non-person for a while.

Could you not have used your ITIN number? (Tax ID Number)
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:20 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Registered Engineer but my paper stops at the ONC. until I took the EIT and PE exams, back to back. I had to document 12 years of relevant experience.

I had strict instructions from the Chief Engineer, to never mention that I didn't have a degree, because some of my subordinates who had degrees might scream. This, notwithstanding that I was given many of them, to teach them how to use the tools they had been given in college.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... I suppose there are careers here in the states where you can do OK without higher educ, but how many Firemen, Policemen can there be?
ain't most of them firemen volunteers though?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by William Shaw
This forum is full of (generally good natured) observations about the frustrations of life as an expat in the States.

I am going through the process of moving my family to Connecticut in the coming months and am evaluating pros and cons.

I would be interested to hear from you caustic veterans, if you could start again, whether you would have moved to the US at all and if so what you would have done differently.

Also, what was your greatest culture/lifestyle shock?
Would I do it again?

Not the first 5 or 6 years, but yes to the last 6 or so.....
But it doesn't work that way does it ?!
You don't know the risks or the challenges if you don't jump in and give it a go....... that's the joy of life and living. Your'e not supposed to have hindsight it takes all the fun out of struggling thru the bad and enjoying the good.

Greatest Culture shock/lifestyle shock?
Nothing can prepare you for the isolation you can sometimes feel from leaving everything that is familiar to you. It doesn't matter how much you have travelled or where you have been in this world this is a whole different experience.

Missing Family has to top my list, I never gave much thought to how I would feel 10 years down the line and then 10 more. I do feel like the time here has flashed by and now I find myself wandering where the last 15 years went, my parents have grown old and I wander if I have missed out somewhere.

But in the words of John Lennon "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.