Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again?

Would you do it again?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Would you do it again?

...Now we've got a newborn, I can't foresee when we'll be going back to the UK next at all. This will no doubt cause some bleating back home, but if they want to see the baby, they will have to come here.

The longest spell without any contact with the UK was when we first had kids. Not being able to travel. Only now are they old enough to go on a long trip.

That said, my singlemost annoying point about the country remains the lack of time off, as has been said its criminal and I would say grossly negligent of US socitey to treat its people the way it does.

Until recently, I have never considered quitting a job in order to have more time off, but with kids now a bit older.......still, it seems drastic.

I really do have a love/hate relationship with the place, AWP's "Materially rich, socially poor" statement really does sum it up. Have some good friends here, but it just does not feel the same.

No comment (dont need to).
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:32 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
The political climate might have been different, but everything else was the same.

I disagree, this country has changed dramatically after 911
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:32 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Unfortunately, not for the better.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lionheart
This is not the same place it was a decade ago.
PC rules and anything goes in the name of national security.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:34 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Eyore is back.
Just nipped out to the supermarket and wine shop.
Despite all the moaning, it's a beautiful day here, the leaves are turning,pumpkins everywhere and I realised I am lucky to have had this opportunity. Lots of people have high hopes of moving to the US and don't stand a chance visa wise. At least I have had that chance.

Things have not worked out quite as we expected but they're not that bad and mostly everyone we have met here has been lovely. My daughters have made lots of friends and had many opportunities to do new things and they like their schools....a huge plus. We live in a lovely place and I just wish we could see more of the US.

Our main gripe is the far distant green card which means very expensive uni for the two oldest and to stay here beyond college they will need H1B's of their own....not easy. When we signed on the dotted line our EB3 category was current and it looked plain sailing. Now it isn't and I feel our future is very uncertain. They don't want to go back to the UK to college because this was a new life for all of us.

The OP may be comming here with a very good relocation package and that does make a difference.
Anyway to the OP... Good Luck with your move. Look upon it as a great opportunity to see a different country.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the UK back in May first time in 4 years ..for three weeks ...
after the first week I was ready to come back...and I don't really see another visit their in my future ..

Of course being retired I don't have the lack of spare time that
most of you have .. but when I did work....no short hours for me ..
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Not in the day to day living it hasn't. The lack of vacation time was there. The materialism was there. The work culture has remained the same.

The things that personally affect us from day to day (if we exclude the price of gas - which has led to a big increase in the cost-of-living, the last few years).
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:39 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Eyore is back.
Just nipped out to the supermarket and wine shop.
Despite all the moaning, it's a beautiful day here, the leaves are turning,pumpkins everywhere and I realised I am lucky to have had this opportunity. Lots of people have high hopes of moving to the US and don't stand a chance visa wise. At least I have had that chance.

Things have not worked out quite as we expected but they're not that bad and mostly everyone we have met here has been lovely. My daughters have made lots of friends and had many opportunities to do new things and they like their schools....a huge plus. We live in a lovely place and I just wish we could see more of the US.

Our main gripe is the far distant green card which means very expensive uni for the two oldest and to stay here beyond college they will need H1B's of their own....not easy. When we signed on the dotted line our EB3 category was current and it looked plain sailing. Now it isn't and I feel our future is very uncertain. They don't want to go back to the UK to college because this was a new life for all of us.

The OP may be comming here with a very good relocation package and that does make a difference.
Anyway to the OP... Good Luck with your move. Look upon it as a great opportunity to see a different country.
Karma sent for your post, however I think it's all too easy to dismiss lively debates of the host country and not so positive immigration experiences as 'moaning'. I think the OP asked for a 'warts and all' description of the pro's and con's of moving to the US.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Not in the day to day living it hasn't. The lack of vacation time was there. The materialism was there. The work culture has remained the same.

The things that personally affect us from day to day (if we exclude the price of gas - which has led to a big increase in the cost-of-living, the last few years).
How about the increase in xenophobia and cultural isolationism?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:43 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had any plans to go back to the UK for a visit...the thought of spending endless afternoons in family front rooms fills me with horror...my family come here to see us...its given them a chance to travel they would never have had...my mum can spend part of the winter snowbirding in FL on the cheap...I can be a kind daughter and go down there to look after her ...everyone is happy.....
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I did say political climate which has changed.

Was referring more to the rat-race which is the US culture. That was there pre-911.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by krizzy
I've never had any plans to go back to the UK for a visit...the thought of spending endless afternoons in family front rooms fills me with horror...my family come here to see us...its given them a chance to travel they would never have had...my mum can spend part of the winter snowbirding in FL on the cheap...I can be a kind daughter and go down there to look after her ...everyone is happy.....
Such a chore, I'm sure
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
There are 3 lifestyles that make the American way of life good:

- Young and rich
- Young with no family
- Retired and rich

For everyone else its a constant struggle to stay financially soluble, and have some vague semblance of a family life which is constantly being eroded by appalling working requirements. I honestly do feel that slave labour is alive and kicking in America...just now its racially unbiased and affects 90% of the population.

The main problem is the whole financially stable issue can turn on its head in an iota. For the sake of an accident or a change in requirements at your employers your whole comfortable way of life can vanish in a second. And there is no safety net. Something like 750,000 people per year go bankrupt in the US due to medical issues. And around half of those had good insurance cover.
I'm young, married, no kids, have decently paid full time employment - but DH is a full time student.
Higer education = goodbye $$$ !
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm young,
ahem........you're in your thirties now chuck.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 6:55 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
ahem........you're in your thirties now chuck.
Bugger, I actually forgot I'm officially not young anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.