Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again?

Would you do it again?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you do it again?

Originally Posted by William Shaw
What is "the system"?
money, money, money, me, me, me, money and me....all keeping up with the jones, you'll find a lot of that in CT....and big hair
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Yes it is.
I meant to add....

But you have different priorities and requirements at different times of your life. For us right now, out priority is getting our daughter a stable life, a good high school education and onto a decent Uni. After that our priorities will change and we'll be back into travel and explore mode I would imagine.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
money, money, money, me, me, me, money and me....all keeping up with the jones, you'll find a lot of that in CT....and big hair
I know down here its all about who can have the biggest home with the biggest cars outside...which translates into: Who can work the longest hours and have the biggest debts.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Had I not come here, I would never had met the wife and had my children. For that reason, yes, I'd do it again whatever the conditions.
If not for them, I would not do it again. I have missed out on too much in the 20 years I have been here and there is an void there. This forum helps though.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:10 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And kiss goodbye to Easter, Christmas ( well 1 whole day) and any vacation that interferes with work too much, just make sure you love what you do, because you will be doing a lot of it.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:13 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
And kiss goodbye to Easter, Christmas ( well 1 whole day) and any vacation that interferes with work too much, just make sure you love what you do, because you will be doing a lot of it.

How true
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
and that's where I think I'm pretty lucky, and it has made it a lot better since getting this job.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
and that's where I think I'm pretty lucky, and it has made it a lot better since getting this job.
No kids you see.

Personally if I had a 4, 2 and 3 month old I'd be wanting to see more not less of them.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Would we do it again? This is a really difficult question...

+ DH has a much more stimulating job now than at his uni in the UK
+ he still gets as much vacation time as in the UK (which, as has been said several times, is a real problem for people out in the private sector)
+ the weather in California is fantastic and the scenery - not just here about in many places throughout the US - is fantastic
+ where we are, schools are great (but in many places they can be absolute crap), and my sons are able to attend top-notch colleges
+ nice house with pool, no traffic jams - basically the living is easy
+ work (when I have any) is interesting and stimulating

- Two of our teenage sons found it very difficult to settle, and one has now given up and gone back to England.
- Unable to work for the first 3 years, my business all but went down the pan, and it's an uphill struggle to get it going again (US business practices are very different from the UK!)
- No end of hassle with immigration; it took us more than 4 years to get our GCs and one of our sons is still waiting as he appears to have got lost somewhere in the system, which is so bloody inefficient and nonsensical it defies belief.
- Distance from family - when my mother had to move into a nursing home, things became very difficult, and I spent the next two years shuttling to and fro; I was not there when she died, which still haunts me. This is something most expats have to face sooner or later.
- Spending an absolute fortune on travelling to and from the UK, which leaves no $$$ or time for proper family vacations (you know, going somewhere different just for the fun of it)
- I miss my friends as I have never really been able to 'connect' with Americans; most have a very different mind-set, and they're all so very busy.
- US politics - I find that really hard to stomach...
- I'm an opera buff, and I miss that so much.

So, would we have done it again? I still don't know...

Last edited by Elvira; Sep 19th 2006 at 5:21 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

No kids you see.

Personally if I had a 4, 2 and 3 month old I'd be wanting to see more not less of them.
true....kids....who needs 'em
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Would we do it again? This is a really difficult question...

+ DH has a much more stimulating job now than at his uni in the UK
+ he still gets as much vacation time as in the UK (which, as has been said several times, is a real problem for people out in the private sector)
+ the weather in California is fantastic and the scenery - not just here about in many places throughout the US - is fantastic
+ where we are, schools are great (but in many places they can be absolute crap), and my sons are able to attend top-notch colleges
+ nice house with pool, no traffic jams - basically the living is easy
+ work (when I have any) is interesting and stimulating

- Two of our teenage sons found it very difficult to settle, and one has now given up and gone back to England.
- Unable to work for the first 3 years, my business all but went down the pan, and it's an uphill struggle to get it going again (US business practices are very different from the UK!)
- No end of hassle with immigration; it took us more than 4 years to get our GCs and one of our sons is still waiting as he appears to have got lost somewhere in the system, which is so bloody inefficient and nonsensical it defies belief.
- Distance from family - when my mother had to move into a nursing home, things became very difficult, and I spent the next two years shuttling to and fro; I was not there when she died, which still haunts me. This is something most expats have to face sooner or later.
- Spending an absolute fortune on travelling to and from the UK, which leaves no $$$ or time for proper family vacations (you know, going somewhere different just for the fun of it)
- I miss my friends as I have never really been able to 'connect' with Americans; most have a very different mind-set, and they're all so very busy.
- US politics - I find that really hard to stomach...
- I'm an opera buff, and I miss that so much.

So, would we have done it again? I still don't know...
I can sum this up in one sentence:

Materially wealthy, socially poor.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
true....kids....who needs 'em
I saw a son of mine about..15 years ago ... what a tosser ..
moaning cos I went out for a packet of cigs 18 years before
and forgot to go back ...
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I can sum this up in one sentence:

Materially wealthy, socially poor.

Actually, I'm not sure we are all that much better off than we were in the UK. By the time you look at all the deductions and healthcare costs (not to mention college ) - it all adds up to quite a bundle. Not to mention that I now only make a fraction of what I did in the UK. Though hopefully that will change in due course But we are spending insane amounts on travel back to the UK... :scared:
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Actually, I'm not sure we are all that much better off than we were in the UK. By the time you look at all the deductions and healthcare costs (not to mention college ) - it all adds up to quite a bundle. Not to mention that I now only make a fraction of what I did in the UK. Though hopefully that will change in due course But we are spending insane amounts on travel back to the UK... :scared:
By materially I meant big house, pool and sunshine....just what every starry eyed viewer of a House in the Sun dreams of.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 5:35 pm
Homebody

By materially I meant big house, pool and sunshine....just what every starry eyed viewer of a House in the Sun dreams of.

Same size house. Sunshine - yep, I grant you that. Having a pool doesn't make up for the lack of opera though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.