Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again?

Would you do it again?

Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Would you do it again?

With children that young and expecting it to be a 3 year adventure, I'd say definitely do it. It will be a great experience for you all. Seeing you're going to be based in the NE, you'll be able to pop over to the UK fairly often.

Seeing it on tv/holiday is nothing quite like living here, but then again, that is true for most countries.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:43 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny nofrfolk
I have lived in several countries. and on balance I dont think there is anywhere better than England. We are in a rural part and the quality of life is fantastic. Going for a few days to London and I was able to buy the return tickets from Norwich to London for both of us for £20.

We will have 4 days of noise, shows the best choice of food & wine in the world, then return to our house and garden in rural Norfolk. bliss
I do that here...being a city girl...Small town USA can get a bit dull at times...so we pop down to FL meet up with friends...eat out...enjoy the busy life...then come back here to watch the grass grow..LOL
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:45 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I like what I've seen of Connecticut...why people leave there to move to the Cape I'll never know...its a place I would pick to live if I could....
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by William Shaw
I have a wife and three small children (4, 2 and 3 month old boys). Our initial expectations are for a three year (minimum) adventure/experience of living in a different environment. I don't think that we have romantic expections and are wary of issues such as credit history, political differences etc, but hope to see new things and find an interesting working environment. I don't expect streets paved with gold. If it doesn't work out we will just come back.

It is difficult to get real insight as to the realities of life for a new expat.
I would think the hardest for you and your family would be

A) Lack of social life...depending where you are of course, but the social life in the US is nothing compared to what you can have in the UK.

B) School for the kids. Seriously school here sucks big time compared to UK schools unless you pay serious cash for private schooling.

C) Your working hours. If you are in a full time job forget any idea of long romantic vacations sight seeing around the country. You'll get screw all holiday time and just wont be able to afford it anyway.

D) Health care. In short it sucks and is very expensive. For a family of 5 you will pay well over $1000 a month I would imagine unless you are very very lucky in your employers insurance. Plus any co-pays, deductables etc should you actually use the health insurance.

E) Cost of living. Is high here these days and getting higher. For a family of 3 we pay over $350 per week on food shopping and thats just for basics with no eating out. Sure wages can be good, but dont expect to actually have a lot of spare cash at the end of each month.

On the flipside is the experience that you can only get with actually living and working in another country. To us thats been priceless and we'll carry it with us to the day we shuffle off the planet.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:47 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I have a wife and three small children (4, 2 and 3 month old boys). Our initial expectations are for a three year (minimum) adventure/experience of living in a different environment. I don't think that we have romantic expections and are wary of issues such as credit history, political differences etc, but hope to see new things and find an interesting working environment. I don't expect streets paved with gold. If it doesn't work out we will just come back.

It is difficult to get real insight as to the realities of life for a new expat.
We had the same view before coming out here. Have been here for 4½ years and don't know whether to stay or go. The kids are so settled into life here now, it's all they know, whilst we still feel at odds with a lot of everyday life. So, do we uproot them from what they know and go back, or do we have to stick it out permanently now?
For sure we've had a good time here and it's been a great experience. If we hadn't done it when we did, we would've done it sooner or later. It's something we needed to try, the problem is knowing when to call it quits and go home. It can easily become a permanent move before you know it, with feelings of being stuck and unable to go back thrown in.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
We had the same view before coming out here. Have been here for 4½ years and don't know whether to stay or go. The kids are so settled into life here now, it's all they know, whilst we still feel at odds with a lot of everyday life. So, do we uproot them from what they know and go back, or do we have to stick it out permanently now?
For sure we've had a good time here and it's been a great experience. If we hadn't done it when we did, we would've done it sooner or later. It's something we needed to try, the problem is knowing when to call it quits and go home. It can easily become a permanent move before you know it, with feelings of being stuck and unable to go back thrown in.
Which is why we are making the move back now. Our daughter is just about to start (UK) high school age so we feel we would have to either move now or not till at least in another 8 years when she'd be completing US high school. And our and her preference is for her schooling to be completed in the UK.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:54 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny nofrfolk
I have lived in several countries. and on balance I dont think there is anywhere better than England. We are in a rural part and the quality of life is fantastic. Going for a few days to London and I was able to buy the return tickets from Norwich to London for both of us for £20.

We will have 4 days of noise, shows the best choice of food & wine in the world, then return to our house and garden in rural Norfolk. bliss
Another Norfolk expat What part of the county?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:56 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And our and her preference is for her schooling to be completed in the UK.

But then she will grow up being gullible enough to believe we came from Apes!!! And think that Potatoe is spelled Potato.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:57 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Which is why we are making the move back now. Our daughter is just about to start (UK) high school age so we feel we would have to either move now or not till at least in another 8 years when she'd be completing US high school. And our and her preference is for her schooling to be completed in the UK.
Yeah, my daughter would've been starting high school this month, so that deadline came and went last year.
Now things are afoot work wise which have made us re-evaluate living here again. We've given ourselves til xmas to decide one way or the other. Shame this didn't happen this time last year.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:24 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested to hear from you caustic veterans, if you could start again, whether you would have moved to the US at all and if so what you would have done differently.
If I could do it again, I would have stayed in England. My life was better then.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:29 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I only came to the US because of my wife. I had never intended to go to the US before that. I always wanted to go to Canada, but just a holiday.
If I'd came here on my own, I'd probably be back in the UK by now. I don't like US culture, or the "system". Having said that, I love the mountains and the animals. If we had a cabin in the mountains and no need to work in the city, I'd be in paradise.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

William Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really niceWilliam Shaw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I only came to the US because of my wife. I had never intended to go to the US before that. I always wanted to go to Canada, but just a holiday.
If I'd came here on my own, I'd probably be back in the UK by now. I don't like US culture, or the "system". Having said that, I love the mountains and the animals. If we had a cabin in the mountains and no need to work in the city, I'd be in paradise.
What is "the system"?
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:32 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I don't like US culture, or the "system".
Same here, even the wife feels the same way.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:34 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rincewind
Same here, even the wife feels the same way.

Mine too
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:35 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Your young children are the biggest asset to getting in the social groups, via playgroups and school, if you can do that, it makes life a whole lot more pleasant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.