Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

WOULD THEY LET US COME OVER TOO?

WOULD THEY LET US COME OVER TOO?

Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WOULD THEY LET US COME OVER TOO?

Originally Posted by NONEY
Feel my best route in is as an employee - gonna look for a suitable venue and take it from there.

Basically, feel there is a market so just need to get a venue owner onboard who'd like to take it in the direction i specialize in. Then with an employer supporting the application that the visa office may think it's a reasonable request. Hey presto! ... LOL
Have you ever read the definition for the H-1B? Here's a good one I c/p from wikipedia:

The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(H). It allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. If a foreign worker in H-1B status quits or is dismissed from the sponsoring employer, the worker can apply for a change of status to another non-immigrant status, find another employer (subject to application for adjustment of status and/or change of visa), or must leave the US.

The regulations define a “specialty occupation” as requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor[1] including, but not limited to, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, biotechnology, medicine and health, education, law, accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts, and requiring the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum[2] (with the exception of fashion models, who must be "of distinguished merit and ability".)[3] Likewise, the foreign worker must possess at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and state licensure, if required to practice in that field. H-1B work-authorization is strictly limited to employment by the sponsoring employer.

I appreciate your entrepreneurial enthusiasm but am not sure you are realistically seeing the picture.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd give you a shake in their venue if you already lived here and had permission to work, but I can't quite get my head around someone being willing to invest the kind of money required to create a need where there is none, develop a market, bring in an outside expert (you) to fill the non-need and keep the whole thing running at a profit.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:10 am
Just Joined

NONEY is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see how it might appear a little vague and it so is ... but trying to piece it together...

As per the H1b - yeah have a bachelors degree so that's no prob. I was hoping music promotions and music events management specializing in UK music scene would constitute 'specialty occupations' not available through local workers. I have many years of practical experience in this field - 'practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor - arts'.

I do believe the current US live music market is insufficient and people would pay to see the best new British bands and DJ's and therefore there is a 'need' and money to be made. If you want to do a proper job of it, you need to bring in the experts. My role would be to develop this market.

I am yet to find out cost implications for an employers part of the visa application? That may be where my plan falls down. If there was a large outlay then obviously that may be a problem. Surely it's only a couple hundred quid tops?

I'm not sure it would cost any working venue a great deal more than usual otherwise - they would already have running and marketing costs or budgets for nights etc and made allowance for an in-house Promoter / Events Managers salary anyway.

Basically if a venue owner could see the potential of taking the UK direction with their brand; perhaps their current 'bump n grind' image in a saturated market just isn't working, then my excellent insight and reputation would be just what they need for a new start .. Or of course if someone with the means who believed in the music wanted to get involved from scratch that would be super cool too.

mmmmm... speculate to accumulate yeah?
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am yet to find out cost implications for an employers part of the visa application? That may be where my plan falls down. If there was a large outlay then obviously that may be a problem. Surely it's only a couple hundred quid tops?
$5000 USD to start.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 10:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's only a couple hundred quid tops?
Oh great... thanks! I now need a new monitor having just sprayed this one with coffee! At any rate, thanks for the good laugh!

Ian
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
$5000 USD to start.
plus cost of lawyer, so getting up to double that figure....plus cost of bringing someone over to the US isn't exactly cheap, but then they might not bother with that expense.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 7:00 am
Just Joined

NONEY is an unknown quantity at this point

What the **** - £3k just for the employer part of the visa application! Honestly, they take the piss don't they.. The visa office must be raking it in eh! I was being a little sarcastic with the £200 estimate, know they'd screw every penny possible, it is the government after all, but would have guessed only a grand all in for the employer max.

Ok then mmmmm,

Hey a three grand sign on fee not completely unreasonable with a new job, show of good faith if i'd handle the relocation costs.

A distant dream is getting less likely by the day - but as i get to know more about the details, not heard anything yet that puts me off completely - just need a very astute music business person in the US to see the light yeah....!!!

As always, looking on the bright side all the way me..