Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst Traffic in America?

Wikiposts

Worst Traffic in America?

Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst Traffic in America?

Originally Posted by BILDER
Boston? Honestly it's not that bad. It takes me about 25 minutes to get in everyday from Newton to Francis and Huntington. 30 with a drive thru coffee. I don't think it's that bad.
Our big bottle neck was getting through Wellesley, so you're already through the big bottle neck.

The other one is on the pike, anything past exit 13 is a morning carpark, but there's nothing further out.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:47 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Odd - one of the regular complaints about Houston is the traffic...but it doesn't even feature in the list!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Odd - one of the regular complaints about Houston is the traffic...but it doesn't even feature in the list!
Oh, yes Houston does.... Austin is in at #6 for our lovely stretch of I-35. I. HATE. MY. COMMUTE.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:56 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Oops - just looked at the top 10....got to go all the way to #14 to find the first Houston ref. To be honest, given the regular criticism levelled at it, I expected it to be in the Top 10 at least.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

I see that Indiana doesn't get a mention at all in the top 50.

Of course the locals round here think that the traffic is horrendous if they have to wait 2 cycles of a stop-light. There's a main drag that some of them won't drive down as it's 'just too busy'.

Trust me - it's not busy at all round here.

The funny thing is that now I've been here quite a while I'm starting to get dragged into the local mentality. If there are 10 cars ahead of me at a stop-sign I feel like I'm in a big traffic jam.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly my 7 mile commute (from one very small town to another slightly larger one) is about 15 minutes but sometimes it can take forever when their are trains on the tracks not going anywhere, but it is also a fail-safe excuse if I'm late...
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:04 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Mostly my 7 mile commute (from one very small town to another slightly larger one) is about 15 minutes but sometimes it can take forever when their are trains on the tracks not going anywhere, but it is also a fail-safe excuse if I'm late...
What is up with those trains that just stop and do they have to be so long. There's nothing worse that driving down 518 waiting to cross at the 35 with a nice hot chinese take out only to be stopped for 20 minutes by a 75 mile long train going nowhere!!!

I was surprised that the 59 is considered worse than the 290 or the 45 up to The Woodlands at rush hour or the 45 at any time actually come to think of it.

And to think I was worried that I would never find my way round, look at me knowing my road numbers
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
What is up with those trains that just stop and do they have to be so long. There's nothing worse that driving down 518 waiting to cross at the 35 with a nice hot chinese take out only to be stopped for 20 minutes by a 75 mile long train going nowhere!!!

I was surprised that the 59 is considered worse than the 290 or the 45 up to The Woodlands at rush hour or the 45 at any time actually come to think of it.

And to think I was worried that I would never find my way round, look at me knowing my road numbers

You got it girl
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:32 am

Yeah, but they were great back in the days when I was carting toddlers round, especially if they were getting cranky.

Hey kids - look at all those traincars - can you count them?

One...two....three....four....five.....zzzzzzzzzzz z

Peace.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:33 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the bay area right now!!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:40 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, but they were great back in the days when I was carting toddlers round, especially if they were getting cranky.

Hey kids - look at all those traincars - can you count them?

One...two....three....four....five.....zzzzzzzzzzz z

Peace.
LOL! Our dude is 12 so we play What's in the traincar? - no duplicates allowed and you have to be fast. Cows, Sheep, Campbells Soup, Cowboy Boots... Of course sometimes the trains go so slowly you could actually get out and spraypaint your answer on the side before they pass
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:53 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Probably the bay area right now!!
Is the traffic bad? I've just seen quite a few areas have been evacuated, 6,500 from Santa Cruz.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:08 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Is the traffic bad? I've just seen quite a few areas have been evacuated, 6,500 from Santa Cruz.
I am staying home the news right now has boats that have become loose and floating down the river in Santa Crzu there's loads come loose and bumping into each other
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:20 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am staying home the news right now has boats that have become loose and floating down the river in Santa Crzu there's loads come loose and bumping into each other
I never thought about tsunami's hitting here, but saw Palo Alto have said they will be ok and it won't flood.

I'm off to buy supplies at the weekend, we are woefully under prepared for a quake hitting in SF.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I never thought about tsunami's hitting here, but saw Palo Alto have said they will be ok and it won't flood.

I'm off to buy supplies at the weekend, we are woefully under prepared for a quake hitting in SF.
** OFF TOPIC POST ALERT **

This is in no particular order.
Hot water heater is a great source of drinking water in case water supplies are affected, depending on size of course.
Plastic grocery bags are perfect for lining the loo and staying sanitary & healthy.
First aid kit and 2 week supply of Health Meds
Portable BBQ & Charcoal/Gas. To cook the meat stored in the freezer
Transistor radio/batteries.
Flashlight/ those portable press LED light things 5-10, they last for like 500 hours.
$100 Cash in very small bills and change.
Canned food/beans & rice.
A plan in place for where everyone should meet if the Quake hits while not at home IE: School, work, shopping, playing Etc... We chose the local Park.
Mobile phone.
Did all of the above in L.A '94 and remember it as if it was yesterday.
Having lived many a year in So.Cal I would say it is a must to always be prepared, one does not have the luxury of being forewarned when dealing with Earthquakes.
Sorry for the thread highjack, Mods feel free to move to the Appropriate place
and Yeah, L.A Traffic sucks !!...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.