Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worst city in the US

Worst city in the US

Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst city in the US

Originally Posted by Bob
Lawrence, I agree is a shit hole, but they are trying to spruce it up, ain't working...would add parts of jamaica plain, dorchester and rochester to the list for mass as well.

And Bangor, that's a surprise, it's, well a bit nothing, certainly improved loads over the last year or so, especially the water front, but not that much...
I think they gentrified Lowell up-converting all the mills into loft apartments etc- that's where my Dad was from.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Baltimore for 15 years. I don't think it's the worst city in the US, not by a long shot (umm...has anyone been to Newark, NJ or Detroit??). There is terrible crime here, it tops the STD charts for the nation, poverty, drugs, violence, murder...but, there are some nice areas and as long as you are not a drug dealer or you go into the bad neighbourhoods, you should be fine. It is provincial in many ways and doesn't have that buzz that places like London or NYC have, but it's inexpensive and close to lots of other interesting places. I wouldn't like to live here forever, but I have often thought, if I can survive a city like Baltimore, I can live anywhere and do ok!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:14 pm
at1
Just Joined

at1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud ofat1 has much to be proud of

Oakland! No question. We lived there for 2 years and I still work there and when my job ends in December i really hope I never set foot there again!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:59 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The DC government exacerbates the problem by seeing everything (and speaking about everything) through the prism of race.
It just reflects the local society and population then, doesn't it?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I have a new nominee: Washington DC. I lived there for four years in the mid nineties:

And do not allow the populous to protect itself
Washington, D.C. has enacted a number of strict gun-restriction laws. The Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 prohibited residents from owning handguns, excluding handguns registered prior to February 5, 1977. Other local laws prohibit carrying guns (concealed or not), and all guns and ammunition must be registered
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:07 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok - based on how this thread goes I might start a poll.

No doubt some of you are better travelled than others and so will be able to give more comprehensive opinions.

Basically I'm starting this thread because I had the misfortune to spend half of Saturday in Philly. Lovely airport, but the rest of the town seemed like a complete dump.

What other sh!tpits can compete with Philly for crappiest city in the US ??
Harvey, Louisiana (Drug Dealer central)
Flint, Michigan
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:51 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
if I can survive a city like Baltimore, I can live anywhere and do ok!
You should submit that sentiment to the tourism board, maybe they'll make it their new slogan!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned Detroit earlier. I was very sad when I went to Detroit for the first time last year. It sort of reminded me of Liverpool quite a bit. Well Liverpool before it had all the investment. It really is a bomb site. Beautiful old buildings derelict in all directions. It's a total slum really. However it has soul. That city has so much soul it just pours out of every brick and stone. I have never been anywhere like it. We went to a restaurant there, one of the few that were open in the centre. Apart from the fact that we were the only white people there which was something of a novelty everyone was immaculately dressed. I have never seen people dressed like that except in the movies. Women had their hair done up, the guys wore the sharpest suits, spats and hats you have ever seen. The food was great and when the jazz band started everyone just started jamming away. This was an expensive very upmarket restaurant but everyone just got up and started dancing. Incredibly friendly, amazing experience.
Probably a dangerous shit hole but I liked it in it's rather forlorn sad way. Noweher is the end of the American empire more visible than Detroit...
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:23 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
It just reflects the local society and population then, doesn't it?
You're probably right. It was definitely surprising to me, coming from New England, to see the extent of racial tension in DC.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Why doesn't that cut it with you? It's the truth! The North side (and some parts of the South side, drag the rest of the City down when it comes to violent crime stats. The Southwest part of the city where I grew up and lived until 4 years ago is as safe as McMansion Suburbiaville where your BIL lives.
Well you can suggest that the crime figures of STL are being dragged down by a portion of the City; however, when you have to preface your suggestion that it is a safe City if you take away the North Side and parts of the South Side, then it doesn't cut it as a safe City to me. If there is only a North Side and South Side to STL, and the North Side is unsafe and parts of the South Side are unsafe, then more than 50% of the City is unsafe.

In my visit to STL it did like there was some hope for portions of the City, but IMHO I saw too many pawn shops, party shops, boarded up shops, abandoned homes, dubious characters on the streets to make me think that the whole City had hope. As a somewhat sheltered person now living in Canada (born and raised in Cheshire), the extreme depravity and poverty of the inner City of most American cities is quite disturbing. My BIL living in O'Fallon is blissfully unaware of the conditions in STL as he only heads into the City for baseball or hockey games. The McMansion suburbs are where he feels most comfortable.

Maybe now that the Chief Planner for STL is an ex-Toronto planner there may be hope. But until population levels start creeping back to their 1950 peak, STL is still a sorry place in general. There may be pockets of progress (i.e your SW STL neighbourhood), but large swathes are pretty squallid.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

My vote goes to New Orleans. It's the worst place I've ever had the misfortune to visit.

Yeah.....the French Quarter is nice, but, that's about it. The murder rate, per head of population, is very high. Take a wrong turn, and step a block or two out of the Quarter, and you're taking your life in your hands.

Jim.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Nobody had better say NYC or they will be thumpin to be had

Id go with Newark NJ, but has anyone been to Middletown NY? Scary place, esp the estates.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Lincoln Nebraska

Stinkin' Lincoln
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Worst city in the US

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok - based on how this thread goes I might start a poll.

No doubt some of you are better travelled than others and so will be able to give more comprehensive opinions.

Basically I'm starting this thread because I had the misfortune to spend half of Saturday in Philly. Lovely airport, but the rest of the town seemed like a complete dump.

What other sh!tpits can compete with Philly for crappiest city in the US ??
Houston, without a doubt, its dirty, ramshackle housing plots and its seedy.

All this bullcrap about Texas is better, bigger, etc etc...Its all talk.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
My vote goes to New Orleans. It's the worst place I've ever had the misfortune to visit.

Yeah.....the French Quarter is nice, but, that's about it. The murder rate, per head of population, is very high. Take a wrong turn, and step a block or two out of the Quarter, and you're taking your life in your hands.

Jim.
Yes, I agree, and I was there 2 weeks after Katrina cleaning up, its a place I wouldn't even put a paedophile....Nasty Place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.