Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried about moving state side

Worried about moving state side

Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:39 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about moving state side

Originally Posted by Bellepaul
Hello
I need anybody to be honest with me. My husband and I live in Germany and he told me last night that we (he's Military) have got posted to the U.S (North Carolina).

I have literally come out in cold sweats, I knew this day would come but I am terrified. I have had loads of American friends tell me that North Carolina is lovely, but I have 2 British friends (Also married Men in U.S Forces) who have been posted there and have left saying that its terrible. I am so worried about moving to the states as it’s so far away can anyone give me some advice? I know I know I married a yank so I should have thought of this before, but I thought I did and I thought I was ok with it. Its not that I don't like the sates everytime I have visited I have liked it but living there is different. Hope this makes sense! and I am not coming across as a cry baby.
If its terrible please tell me so at least when I get there, I won’t be in for a huge surprise.
If the states or any info on NC is positive that would be highly appreciated.
Thank you a very concerned Brit
Remember the glass is half full not half empty.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in SC for the past couple of years and have had a great time. You'll love the weather (except in July & August) the beaches, the convenience and the people. You'll probably feel a bit of culture shock at first - although if you've been living on a US military base in Germany, probably not that much.

Your friends on BE will keep you sane and and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time here.

unless you're posted to Pope
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:29 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Sanford, NC for about a year. It's about 30 mins from Fayetteville.

Most of the people were great, really friendly, but I hated the place itself. It was a big culture shock for me moving from a big city in the UK to a small, sleepy town. Nothing much to do and at least an hour to drive to anywhere else.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:14 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is also military,there's quite a few of us on here. I don't think there's any in NC.that post on here.
When do you PCS? Do you have any children?
North Carolina is a nice state. Check out the family support centre they might have info on a British Spouses club.Feel free to PM me .I'm sure you will do fine.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:12 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=clydegirl]My husband is also military,there's quite a few of us on here.

Hi and welcome!

Yep, same here. Although we have never been stationed in NC, I left Britian and went straight to AZ, now THAT was a culture shock. I have to be completely honest and say that I was miserable for about a year (It didn't help that my husband got sent TDY to Panama a couple of months after we got there!). Friends will help you alot, try to make as many as possible, usually on a military base it's not difficult!
You will get used to it, but it's up to you to make it a home (albeit temporary) and you will find things that you love about the place and things that you hate, that happens anywhere you live. I can guarantee you though that the more British friends you make the better in my experience, it really helps to make you feel closer to Britian and make you more relaxed. Don't limit yourself though, we have made some wonderful American friends over the years through the military and I feel blessed for that.

Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 12:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
I need anybody to be honest with me. My husband and I live in Germany and he told me last night that we (he's Military) have got posted to the U.S (North Carolina).

I have literally come out in cold sweats, I knew this day would come but I am terrified. I have had loads of American friends tell me that North Carolina is lovely, but I have 2 British friends (Also married Men in U.S Forces) who have been posted there and have left saying that its terrible. I am so worried about moving to the states as it’s so far away can anyone give me some advice? I know I know I married a yank so I should have thought of this before, but I thought I did and I thought I was ok with it. Its not that I don't like the sates everytime I have visited I have liked it but living there is different. Hope this makes sense! and I am not coming across as a cry baby.
If its terrible please tell me so at least when I get there, I won’t be in for a huge surprise.
I live in NC, closer to Fort Bragg than say Camp Lejeune. All five military bases in NC are not in big cities although Fort Bragg, in Fayetteville is within a 90 mins drive of the state capital, Raleigh.

If you're accustomed to living near big cities then life at an NC military base will be quiet a shock but the bases near the coast give you ready access to the ocean and beach which will really convenient when you have free time.

Life's what you make of it. If it's any consolation, there's Brits living throughout NC, with particularly large number in and around the Triangle and Charlotte.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Bellepaul will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Worried about moving state side

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I live in NC, closer to Fort Bragg than say Camp Lejeune. All five military bases in NC are not in big cities although Fort Bragg, in Fayetteville is within a 90 mins drive of the state capital, Raleigh.

If you're accustomed to living near big cities then life at an NC military base will be quiet a shock but the bases near the coast give you ready access to the ocean and beach which will really convenient when you have free time.

Life's what you make of it. If it's any consolation, there's Brits living throughout NC, with particularly large number in and around the Triangle and Charlotte.

NC Penguin
Hi
Thank you everyone for answering my thread and putting on links. You have all definitely helped.
We are going to be posted at Seymoor Johnson. We leave in February as my husband deploys next week for 6 months (boohoo).
We don't have any children but we do have a 14 month old puppy called Maggie Olivia P. (MOP) who eats everything insight and loves to lick feet.

My husband and I talked all night about the move and he has promised to get me BBC America (is it any good?). He has also promised to give me enough money to design and make a country Cottage Garden.

I have Questions.....
What are the houses like, when I went to L.A they where all stone and concrete things, do they have them in NC or are there houses with character, i.e. Victorian houses, wooden etc etc.

I have heard that its extremely humid there, we have a friend there that says it can be disgusting at times.

Are there things that women can do on there own, like evening classes, clubs etc.
Also started my green card application, How was the Medical, What does it actually involve, what are the interviews like,

Ok that is it for now; I am sure over the next coming months you will all get very tired of my questions.

Thank you again.
Michelle
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:17 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I talked all night about the move and he has promised to get me BBC America (is it any good?). He has also promised to give me enough money to design and make a country Cottage Garden.
BBC america is ok. They do like to show a lot of the DIY programs but you can get some Drama. Local PBS ( Public Broadcast Stations) also tend to show some British shows and also British news.

I have Questions.....
What are the houses like, when I went to L.A they where all stone and concrete things, do they have them in NC or are there houses with character, i.e. Victorian houses, wooden etc etc.
I don't know the area so I cant say for certain but most southern houses tend to be woodframed. Unless you get stuck in a big city you shouldn't get a concrete box
I have heard that its extremely humid there, we have a friend there that says it can be disgusting at times.
Memphis came as a shock for me. It gets way to humid in the summer. Lot's of British people who have never been to the USA think that Air Conditioning is a luxury but it is a must have.

Are there things that women can do on there own, like evening classes, clubs etc.
There should be stuff for you to do, either at a local community college or arts and crafts at a local store. Depends on the area

Also started my green card application, How was the Medical, What does it actually involve, what are the interviews like,
Not sure for female medical but usually its just a case of taking some blood and getting examined by a Dr who will ask about your medical history. If any of your shots are not up to date they will give them to you. The interview tends to be just asking why you are going to the USA and trying to see if there is anything suspicious. How long have you been married?

My wife worried for the longest time that they would want to know what her favorite color, favorite book, the Mr & Mr's question type of thing but they did not want to know any of that for me.

Ok that is it for now; I am sure over the next coming months you will all get very tired of my questions.

Thank you again.
Michelle
Ask any questions you want to, someone will try to help you out
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:13 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The medical is pretty straightforward - questions, HIV test, TB test (and a chest x-ray in my case because of a positive TB test - common among those who've had BCG vaccinations), shots (bring records if you have them). If you take a look at the medical form that the doc has to complete, you can get a good idea of what's likely. Shop around for a doc - mine charged $120 including x-ray, but you'll hear a few horror stories of docs who'll take every penny they can.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thank you everyone for answering my thread and putting on links. You have all definitely helped.
We are going to be posted at Seymoor Johnson. We leave in February as my husband deploys next week for 6 months (boohoo).
We don't have any children but we do have a 14 month old puppy called Maggie Olivia P. (MOP) who eats everything insight and loves to lick feet.

I have Questions.....

Thank you again.
Michelle
We were in UK when I got my green card, USAF helped us with it all and we were able to claim all that we had paid for it back when we got to the next base.
My in laws live near Seymoor Johnson, it is pretty the people are friendly but it is humid in the summer.
The base is nice big commissary, base housing looks nice too.
Your vet will be able to tell you what you need to do to bring MOP over here.
We flew from Mildenhall on a commercial flight and brought our dog with us - she was fine.
Good luck
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:47 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

You are aware he said 'North Carolina' and not 'Mogadishu' right?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:14 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find the people friendly and the summer weather unbearable without AC, but most flats will have it. There will be a lot of nice architecture, plenty of wood built Victorian houses etc and you'll be able
to put window AC units in to help with the heat and humidity.

If you are going for a Green card you should learn about the tax and financial implications of permanent residence in the US.

I think you'll probably settle in after a time of adjustment.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... He has also promised to give me enough money to design and make a country Cottage Garden. ....
I moved here three years ago, with my wife, who is from Virginia, and I (i) am not going home (to the UK) and (ii) have no intention of ever leaving NC. It isn't a cosmopolitan state, in fact considerd by many Americans to be backward and somewhat uncivilized, and they may have a point - Charlotte is the largest city in the state and it is a cultural desert. But I love it here, so take it for what it is and you'll love it too!

You'll find it likely too hot for a "country cottage garden", but tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, melons, and pumpkins grow like weeds, so you can have a great vegetable garden - cool weather crops - peas, beans, and root crops can be planted in late February (where you'll be living) for a spring crop, and again in late August for an autumn crop . You can also grow figs and peaches, assuming you live here long enough for the trees to grow.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:17 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Don't worry, I still drink hot PG tips regually too and have managed to get my father in law to drink it.

Hehheh I have also introduced PG Tips to the US husband who didn't know what all the fuss was about at first and now drinks more than I do and goes slightly mental if he goes away for a few days and has to go without a cup of tea
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Worried about moving state side

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Don't worry, I still drink hot PG tips regually too and have managed to get my father in law to drink it.
The Boston Tea Party gang had the right idea about tea, throw it into the sea where only the sea life have to deal with it. Now where's my Irish Coffee?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.