Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Worried about moving state side

Worried about moving state side

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:30 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about moving state side

Originally Posted by Bellepaul
Hello
I need anybody to be honest with me. My husband and I live in Germany and he told me last night that we (he's Military) have got posted to the U.S (North Carolina).

I have literally come out in cold sweats, I knew this day would come but I am terrified. I have had loads of American friends tell me that North Carolina is lovely, but I have 2 British friends (Also married Men in U.S Forces) who have been posted there and have left saying that its terrible. I am so worried about moving to the states as it’s so far away can anyone give me some advice? I know I know I married a yank so I should have thought of this before, but I thought I did and I thought I was ok with it. Its not that I don't like the sates everytime I have visited I have liked it but living there is different. Hope this makes sense! and I am not coming across as a cry baby.
If its terrible please tell me so at least when I get there, I won’t be in for a huge surprise.
If the states or any info on NC is positive that would be highly appreciated.
Thank you a very concerned Brit
I heard NC is very nice, lots of greenery, think Dawson's Creek!!! We'll be here to help you through it all, so we'll hold your hand on the tough days, don't worry about it.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I heard NC is very nice, lots of greenery, think Dawson's Creek!!! We'll be here to help you through it all, so we'll hold your hand on the tough days, don't worry about it.
Aww...Partystar you're so nice.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Dawson's Creek is (part?) filmed in Wilmington, NC at the coast.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellepaul
Hi
Thank you everyone for answering my thread and putting on links. You have all definitely helped.
We are going to be posted at Seymoor Johnson. We leave in February as my husband deploys next week for 6 months (boohoo).
We don't have any children but we do have a 14 month old puppy called Maggie Olivia P. (MOP) who eats everything insight and loves to lick feet.

My husband and I talked all night about the move and he has promised to get me BBC America (is it any good?). He has also promised to give me enough money to design and make a country Cottage Garden.

I have Questions.....
What are the houses like, when I went to L.A they where all stone and concrete things, do they have them in NC or are there houses with character, i.e. Victorian houses, wooden etc etc.

I have heard that its extremely humid there, we have a friend there that says it can be disgusting at times.

Are there things that women can do on there own, like evening classes, clubs etc.
Also started my green card application, How was the Medical, What does it actually involve, what are the interviews like,

Ok that is it for now; I am sure over the next coming months you will all get very tired of my questions.

Thank you again.
Michelle
Seymour Johnson is near Goldsboro, a middle-size city in NC. I've only been to Goldsboro for the NC barbecue. If you like pork, you may like NC barbecue.

To get an idea about homes in that part of NC, look at a property site like www.realtor.com using the zipcode for Seymour Johnson (NC 27531).

It can get humid in the summer but humidity is worse the further south you go so SC is worse than NC and FL is the pits when it comes to humidity. After living in NC a year or two, you'll get accustomed to the humidity.

Search the web for social activities to do in the area. Start with the local paper, the local county's website and that kind of thing.

For visa related questions, I suggest reading and/or posting in the US visa related forums here on BE.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:46 am
Just Joined

D4YTR1PPER is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Charlotte from London four years ago. It was quite a culture shock at first, but once I had a job and got to know the city its been great. The weather here can be bloody awful in the Summer, but spring and autumn are fantastic.

As someone said earlier there are plenty of Brits over here, it seems like the World Cup is bringing even more of them out of the woodwork!!

Obviously coming from London it was very different (even though Charlotte is a fairly big city), but there is more to do here than the other places that I lived in in England.

As for the houses, most are woodframed with siding or brick. Most are devoid of any interesting features and some look like a breath of wind would blow them over - but they are affordable!!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:52 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Aww...Partystar you're so nice.
Hahaha, I try!!!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:52 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Dawson's Creek is (part?) filmed in Wilmington, NC at the coast.

NC Penguin
I rest my case!!!
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by D4YTR1PPER
I moved to Charlotte from London four years ago. It was quite a culture shock at first, but once I had a job and got to know the city its been great. The weather here can be bloody awful in the Summer, but spring and autumn are fantastic.

As someone said earlier there are plenty of Brits over here, it seems like the World Cup is bringing even more of them out of the woodwork!!

Obviously coming from London it was very different (even though Charlotte is a fairly big city), but there is more to do here than the other places that I lived in in England.

As for the houses, most are woodframed with siding or brick. Most are devoid of any interesting features and some look like a breath of wind would blow them over - but they are affordable!!
Snap! I've been in NC four years but have lived in Durham, NC. My hometown is London too!

NC Penguin