British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   World Market 30% off (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/world-market-30%25-off-876294/)

Wintersong Apr 22nd 2016 3:42 pm

Re: World Market 30% off

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11929559)
This is true, I doubt you'll find a lot of demand for HP Sauce and Ambrosia Creamed Rice in Bismarck, North Dakota for example ...

There are places in the Bay Area that do carry British stuff, primarily on the peninsula, where there are larger pockets of expats working in Silicon Valley.

Bridge toll, traffic, 3hr round trip... nah, I'll just stick with the World Market 10 minutes away.

Also worth noting that if there are any Indian stores in the area, they often carry British stuff at much cheaper prices, including imported Cadbury's that isn't made by Hershey. I guess they get around the ban because it's imported from India and not the UK...

lansbury Apr 22nd 2016 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11929131)
You have no idea how much I appreciate that.

Carmel covered in chocolate tasted good. I ate 2 so as to be able to report accurately on them. :thumbup:

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 3:47 pm

CA must be the worst drivers. Utter bastards.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11929607)
There are places in the Bay Area that do carry British stuff, primarily on the peninsula, where there are larger pockets of expats working in Silicon Valley.

Bridge toll, traffic, 3hr round trip... nah, I'll just stick with the World Market 10 minutes away.

I'm with you there. That's why I don't drive into Chicago for these things either. I can avoid the tolls if I want but it's 60 miles each way. I'm down there for work at our Chicago yard every few months but I'm always too busy to do anything other than what I'm there for.

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11929607)
Also worth noting that if there are any Indian stores in the area, they often carry British stuff at much cheaper prices, including imported Cadbury's that isn't made by Hershey. I guess they get around the ban because it's imported from India and not the UK...

We do have a few Indian/Pakistani groceries in the area right enough, I must stop in one day to see what they have.

Though for the most part I can get along all right without being able to get it. If I have a few bottles of HP on hand, that usually does the trick. I like American food well enough anyway. Then getting the British stuff when I actually go back becomes more of a treat.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11929613)

Pretty bad in Illinois/Wisconsin. Especially in and around Chicago.

When we were in California, at least the lorry drivers kept right. Get off the plane in Milwaukee and within 5 minutes of leaving the airport we got stuck behind one lorry going at 55 trying to overtake another one going at 50. Bastards.

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 4:00 pm

I don't think I was generalizing, I agree it's silly to do so about a county as massive as the US

I'm a big foody so I take more interest in grocery isles than I care to admit, you'd be surprised what you can find if you take the time to explore local shops or chains. There is no region better for this than the Midwest of which Dakota is a part so I bet you could find a UK section somewhere there, or least some UK brands dotted around. If I had the time I'd probably drive over there just to prove my point :lol:

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11929613)

Spend a day in Chicago

Potholes absolutely everywhere

No one has any patience

Nightmare

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929634)
Spend a day in Chicago

Potholes absolutely everywhere

No one has any patience

Nightmare

Chicago driving makes my blood pressure rise higher than being a fat bastard ever could. One of the reasons I almost exclusively take the train when I go there.

The potholes are mental statewide. If it weren't for the signs, you would always know when you cross from Wisconsin back into Illinois because all your teeth fall out. I saw one in Waukegan on Highway 137 that was big enough to swallow a small car.

Wisconsin isn't much better though. We drove up north last week and it was just asshats as far as the eye could see.

MidAtlantic Apr 22nd 2016 4:16 pm

This UK foods thread, and others like it, reminds me of the 1960s when Brits discovered cheap holidays in Spain. They complained that the Spanish did not speak English (but would understand if we shouted loud enough!) and that they could not get fish and chips.

There is no UK food in my local stores and that's fine with me.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 11929643)
This UK foods thread, and others like it, reminds me of the 1960s when Brits discovered cheap holidays in Spain. They complained that the Spanish did not speak English (but would understand if we shouted loud enough!) and that they could not get fish and chips.

That's the way I've trained myself to look at it now. I wasted an awful lot of time and energy in the early years being upset that this foreign country I moved to was different than the one I was born in :lol:

But yeah, it's nice to be able to get HP sauce and a Yorkie every now and then as I said, but in general I'm fine with it being something to look forward to when I do go back to visit, rather than needing six hundred Dairy Milk bars every day.

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 4:51 pm

I'm with you on that, the only UK brands I actually still use are Tetley and McVities because there's no US brand I know of quite like either of them. Haven't had HP sauce or Heinz baked beans (BBQ beans are better) for years even though I see them in local shops all the time. I think the range of food available in the US is far superior to what I remember Tesco or Sainsbury's being like but the point of this and similar threads is to help those who still want these brands as many people on this forum are still new to the country or about to move here

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 4:55 pm

I once found digestives in a chinese grocery store. It had chinese on the packaging but was clearly digestives and they were only $2 for a big packet.

Somebody needs to make Abbey Crunch again and export them here.

Wintersong Apr 22nd 2016 5:18 pm

It's fine with me too... but it's nice, on the odd occasion, to treat myself with a decent biscuit ;)

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 5:28 pm

I think it's fine to crave biscuits. Oreos are just disgusting.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11929698)
I think it's fine to crave biscuits. Oreos are just disgusting.

Aldi has (or used to have) some German offerings on the biscuit front which are quite good. Our Walmart at one point had McVities Chocolate Digestives as well, but I can't remember if they still do.

Some of the Mexican biscuity/cakey thingys are quite good as well. There was one I ran across, Gansitos, that had a bun/cake type thing that reminded me of the old Mr Kipling Jaffa Fingers, if anyone remembers them. That being said, I'll admit sometimes I'd go mad for a cherry bakewell or some Battenberg cake though.