British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   World Market 30% off (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/world-market-30%25-off-876294/)

Orangepants Apr 21st 2016 5:50 pm

World Market 30% off

World Market has 30% of British stuff today to celebrate the Queens Birthday. :thumbup:

Wintersong Apr 21st 2016 5:51 pm

Re: World Market 30% off

Woot woot! Hope they have a good stock of Caramel Digestives for me!

Matt Sabre Apr 21st 2016 6:16 pm

oh yes!!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Branston pickle, pickled onions, yorkshire tea and tons of choccy coming up.

themadpooper Apr 21st 2016 7:39 pm

Good shout

If you become a member which is free (just give them your details at checkout), you get emails on a weekly basis with 10/20% off stuff

Orangepants Apr 21st 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11928814)
oh yes!!!!

Thanks for the heads up. Branston pickle, pickled onions, yorkshire tea and tons of choccy coming up.

I ordered online for pickup at the weekend - a couple of jars of branston, a couple of jars of pickled onions and some clotted cream. They even give you an extra 10% at checkout.. Back to London in a couple of weeks for the 30lb+ of galaxy and cadbury chocolate that gets consumed in my house. :nod:

lansbury Apr 21st 2016 9:58 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Mrs L has just returned from the local store.

Pulaski Apr 21st 2016 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11929010)
Mrs L has just returned from the local store.

The only thing there I ever bought when I lived in the UK was the beans. :(

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 12:15 am

This may be heresy but I've gone right off Heinz beans since being here. Too sweet.

I much prefer the varieties of Bush's Baked Beans.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 22nd 2016 12:48 am

Caramel Crowns?

lansbury Apr 22nd 2016 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11929097)
Caramel Crowns?

I'll let you know what they taste like.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 22nd 2016 2:07 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11929130)
I'll let you know what they taste like.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that.

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 3:00 am

I got Branston, Hayward's pickled onions, Bisto, digestives, Sarson's vinegar

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 12:23 pm

Stuff like Bisto and Sarsons they sell in most grocery shops, same with digestives. Amazon also sell some UK stuff. I'm saying this because World Market is very expensive

Pic of the British stuff in my local supermarket:
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...pslaa5tnoo.jpg

Pulaski Apr 22nd 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929426)
Stuff like Bisto and Sarsons they sell in most grocery shops in Chicago, same with digestives. ....

FIFY. :)

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929426)
Stuff like Bisto and Sarsons they sell in most grocery shops, same with digestives. Amazon also sell some UK stuff. I'm saying this because World Market is very expensive

Pic of the British stuff in my local supermarket:
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/...pslaa5tnoo.jpg

That has to be Jewel, right? One up by us used to have a British section but it got annexed by the Asian foods a few years ago and isn't there any more. Though our Jewels did have HP sauce in the normal sauce section, at least for a while.

There is a small British section at Meijer though, that is pretty similar in scope to the one that used to be at Jewel.

Haven't been to World Market in ages, now I come to think of it.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 22nd 2016 1:22 pm

My local Safeway has some things, including stuff I have never heard of.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11929474)
My local Safeway has some things, including stuff I have never heard of.

They might be Australian. The one British section that was used to have some sweets I hadn't heard of and they turned out to be Australian when I looked them up.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 22nd 2016 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11929476)
They might be Australian. The one British section that was used to have some sweets I hadn't heard of and they turned out to be Australian when I looked them up.

Makes sense, Yanks can not tell the difference.

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11929473)
That has to be Jewel, right? One up by us used to have a British section but it got annexed by the Asian foods a few years ago and isn't there any more. Though our Jewels did have HP sauce in the normal sauce section, at least for a while.

There is a small British section at Meijer though, that is pretty similar in scope to the one that used to be at Jewel.

Haven't been to World Market in ages, now I come to think of it.

Yeah, Jewel (pretty crap compared to other Jewels in the city) but they also have UK stuff in Mariano's and Treasure Island. Trader's has stuff like clotted cream and scones

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929489)
Yeah, Jewel (pretty crap compared to other Jewels in the city) but they also have UK stuff in Mariano's and Treasure Island. Trader's has stuff like clotted cream and scones

I go to Jewel all the time, but the one actually in my town never had any British food, sadly. I can usually do OK without it but if I get a real urge for a Yorkie or some curry paste, I can nip to the Meijer that's 20 minutes down the road.

Mariano's and Treasure Island must only be in the city because I haven't heard of those. I couldn't even tell you where the closest Trader Joe's is either :lol:

I like the sticks, though. Nice and quiet up here :nod:

tonrob Apr 22nd 2016 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11929083)
This may be heresy but I've gone right off Heinz beans since being here. Too sweet.

I much prefer the varieties of Bush's Baked Beans.

Yup. HP beans are the way forward (I reckon) if you can find them. I abandoned Heinz in favour of HP long before paving the UK.

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11929468)
FIFY. :)

You've done this before and as I told you then, I've seen similar in supermarkets in other parts of the country, particularly Florida and New York where I previously lived

Seems the only area of US that doesn't have UK stuff is where you live

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11929497)
I go to Jewel all the time, but the one actually in my town never had any British food, sadly. I can usually do OK without it but if I get a real urge for a Yorkie or some curry paste, I can nip to the Meijer that's 20 minutes down the road.

Mariano's and Treasure Island must only be in the city because I haven't heard of those. I couldn't even tell you where the closest Trader Joe's is either :lol:

I like the sticks, though. Nice and quiet up here :nod:

Mariano's is a bit like Whole Foods, posh and a bit pricey but they have a lot of great products and international stuff. Their beer selection in particular is better than you'd find in some liquor shops, the one I go to even has a walk-in fridge packed with beer. Jewel is great for beer, also, I find

Treasure Island is good for international stuff, they have isles devoted to various countries, including the UK and Ireland

Pulaski Apr 22nd 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929503)
You've done this before and as I told you then, I've seen similar in supermarkets in other parts of the country, particularly Florida and New York where I previously lived

Seems the only area of US that doesn't have UK stuff is where you live

Maybe you didn't read all the replies to the other thread? Several other people commented that their local groceries have little or no British merchandise either, and they aren't in the same state as me.

The problem you don't seem to recognize is that would be/soon to be immigrants come here looking for advice, and therefore making sweeping generalizations is unhelpful and often misleading. There is a huge difference between "you'll find that groceries in most major cities in the US carry a small range of British foods" and "you'll find British foods in American groceries".

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929518)
Mariano's is a bit like Whole Foods, posh and a bit pricey but they have a lot of great products and international stuff. Their beer selection in particular is better than you'd find in some liquor shops, the one I go to even has a walk-in fridge packed with beer. Jewel is great for beer, also, I find

Treasure Island is good for international stuff, they have isles devoted to various countries, including the UK and Ireland

There aren't enough zeros in my paycheck for me to afford Mariano's then, by the sound of it :D. I do like Jewel's beer selection though and more importantly, they have Strongbow as well :D

Treasure Island looks to only have locations in the city, so that'd be why I had never heard of them.

Wintersong Apr 22nd 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11929524)
Maybe you didn't read all the replies to the other thread? Several other people commented that their local groceries have little or no British merchandise either, and they aren't in the same state as me.

Yup -no British food in my supermarkets either.

It depends entirely on demand, which depends on British expat presence. I don't think New York and Florida are good examples from which to generalise to the entire country.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11929558)
Yup -no British food in my supermarkets either.

It depends entirely on demand, which depends on British expat presence. I don't think New York and Florida are good examples from which to generalise to the entire country.

This is true, I doubt you'll find a lot of demand for HP Sauce and Ambrosia Creamed Rice in Bismarck, North Dakota for example ...

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 3:02 pm

I've seen stuff in my local Raley's and some Safeways.

Pulaski Apr 22nd 2016 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11929558)
Yup -no British food in my supermarkets either. ....

Well you're fairly close to NC, kind of, sort of, .... aren't you? :rolleyes:

..... I don't think New York and Florida are good examples from which to generalise to the entire country.
There is almost nothing about the US you can generalize across all 50 states, ..... except perhaps that the standard of driving is hideously bad, and that the quality of house and apartments/condo construction is poor.

Wintersong Apr 22nd 2016 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11929580)
There is almost nothing about the US you can generalize across all 50 states, ..... except perhaps that the standard of driving is hideously bad, and that the quality of house and apartments/condo construction is poor.

And here was I thinking it was just California... :lol:

Wintersong Apr 22nd 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11929559)
This is true, I doubt you'll find a lot of demand for HP Sauce and Ambrosia Creamed Rice in Bismarck, North Dakota for example ...

There are places in the Bay Area that do carry British stuff, primarily on the peninsula, where there are larger pockets of expats working in Silicon Valley.

Bridge toll, traffic, 3hr round trip... nah, I'll just stick with the World Market 10 minutes away.

Also worth noting that if there are any Indian stores in the area, they often carry British stuff at much cheaper prices, including imported Cadbury's that isn't made by Hershey. I guess they get around the ban because it's imported from India and not the UK...

lansbury Apr 22nd 2016 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11929131)
You have no idea how much I appreciate that.

Carmel covered in chocolate tasted good. I ate 2 so as to be able to report accurately on them. :thumbup:

Matt Sabre Apr 22nd 2016 3:47 pm

CA must be the worst drivers. Utter bastards.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11929607)
There are places in the Bay Area that do carry British stuff, primarily on the peninsula, where there are larger pockets of expats working in Silicon Valley.

Bridge toll, traffic, 3hr round trip... nah, I'll just stick with the World Market 10 minutes away.

I'm with you there. That's why I don't drive into Chicago for these things either. I can avoid the tolls if I want but it's 60 miles each way. I'm down there for work at our Chicago yard every few months but I'm always too busy to do anything other than what I'm there for.

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11929607)
Also worth noting that if there are any Indian stores in the area, they often carry British stuff at much cheaper prices, including imported Cadbury's that isn't made by Hershey. I guess they get around the ban because it's imported from India and not the UK...

We do have a few Indian/Pakistani groceries in the area right enough, I must stop in one day to see what they have.

Though for the most part I can get along all right without being able to get it. If I have a few bottles of HP on hand, that usually does the trick. I like American food well enough anyway. Then getting the British stuff when I actually go back becomes more of a treat.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11929613)

Pretty bad in Illinois/Wisconsin. Especially in and around Chicago.

When we were in California, at least the lorry drivers kept right. Get off the plane in Milwaukee and within 5 minutes of leaving the airport we got stuck behind one lorry going at 55 trying to overtake another one going at 50. Bastards.

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 4:00 pm

I don't think I was generalizing, I agree it's silly to do so about a county as massive as the US

I'm a big foody so I take more interest in grocery isles than I care to admit, you'd be surprised what you can find if you take the time to explore local shops or chains. There is no region better for this than the Midwest of which Dakota is a part so I bet you could find a UK section somewhere there, or least some UK brands dotted around. If I had the time I'd probably drive over there just to prove my point :lol:

themadpooper Apr 22nd 2016 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre (Post 11929613)

Spend a day in Chicago

Potholes absolutely everywhere

No one has any patience

Nightmare

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11929634)
Spend a day in Chicago

Potholes absolutely everywhere

No one has any patience

Nightmare

Chicago driving makes my blood pressure rise higher than being a fat bastard ever could. One of the reasons I almost exclusively take the train when I go there.

The potholes are mental statewide. If it weren't for the signs, you would always know when you cross from Wisconsin back into Illinois because all your teeth fall out. I saw one in Waukegan on Highway 137 that was big enough to swallow a small car.

Wisconsin isn't much better though. We drove up north last week and it was just asshats as far as the eye could see.

MidAtlantic Apr 22nd 2016 4:16 pm

This UK foods thread, and others like it, reminds me of the 1960s when Brits discovered cheap holidays in Spain. They complained that the Spanish did not speak English (but would understand if we shouted loud enough!) and that they could not get fish and chips.

There is no UK food in my local stores and that's fine with me.

SultanOfSwing Apr 22nd 2016 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 11929643)
This UK foods thread, and others like it, reminds me of the 1960s when Brits discovered cheap holidays in Spain. They complained that the Spanish did not speak English (but would understand if we shouted loud enough!) and that they could not get fish and chips.

There is no UK food in my local stores and that's fine with me.

That's the way I've trained myself to look at it now. I wasted an awful lot of time and energy in the early years being upset that this foreign country I moved to was different than the one I was born in :lol:

But yeah, it's nice to be able to get HP sauce and a Yorkie every now and then as I said, but in general I'm fine with it being something to look forward to when I do go back to visit, rather than needing six hundred Dairy Milk bars every day.