Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

World Market 30% off

World Market 30% off

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: World Market 30% off

My local Safeway has some things, including stuff I have never heard of.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My local Safeway has some things, including stuff I have never heard of.
They might be Australian. The one British section that was used to have some sweets I hadn't heard of and they turned out to be Australian when I looked them up.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
They might be Australian. The one British section that was used to have some sweets I hadn't heard of and they turned out to be Australian when I looked them up.
Makes sense, Yanks can not tell the difference.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:48 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

That has to be Jewel, right? One up by us used to have a British section but it got annexed by the Asian foods a few years ago and isn't there any more. Though our Jewels did have HP sauce in the normal sauce section, at least for a while.

There is a small British section at Meijer though, that is pretty similar in scope to the one that used to be at Jewel.

Haven't been to World Market in ages, now I come to think of it.
Yeah, Jewel (pretty crap compared to other Jewels in the city) but they also have UK stuff in Mariano's and Treasure Island. Trader's has stuff like clotted cream and scones
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Yeah, Jewel (pretty crap compared to other Jewels in the city) but they also have UK stuff in Mariano's and Treasure Island. Trader's has stuff like clotted cream and scones
I go to Jewel all the time, but the one actually in my town never had any British food, sadly. I can usually do OK without it but if I get a real urge for a Yorkie or some curry paste, I can nip to the Meijer that's 20 minutes down the road.

Mariano's and Treasure Island must only be in the city because I haven't heard of those. I couldn't even tell you where the closest Trader Joe's is either

I like the sticks, though. Nice and quiet up here
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
This may be heresy but I've gone right off Heinz beans since being here. Too sweet.

I much prefer the varieties of Bush's Baked Beans.
Yup. HP beans are the way forward (I reckon) if you can find them. I abandoned Heinz in favour of HP long before paving the UK.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:58 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FIFY.
You've done this before and as I told you then, I've seen similar in supermarkets in other parts of the country, particularly Florida and New York where I previously lived

Seems the only area of US that doesn't have UK stuff is where you live
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:10 pm
Banned

I go to Jewel all the time, but the one actually in my town never had any British food, sadly. I can usually do OK without it but if I get a real urge for a Yorkie or some curry paste, I can nip to the Meijer that's 20 minutes down the road.

Mariano's and Treasure Island must only be in the city because I haven't heard of those. I couldn't even tell you where the closest Trader Joe's is either

I like the sticks, though. Nice and quiet up here
Mariano's is a bit like Whole Foods, posh and a bit pricey but they have a lot of great products and international stuff. Their beer selection in particular is better than you'd find in some liquor shops, the one I go to even has a walk-in fridge packed with beer. Jewel is great for beer, also, I find

Treasure Island is good for international stuff, they have isles devoted to various countries, including the UK and Ireland
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You've done this before and as I told you then, I've seen similar in supermarkets in other parts of the country, particularly Florida and New York where I previously lived

Seems the only area of US that doesn't have UK stuff is where you live
Maybe you didn't read all the replies to the other thread? Several other people commented that their local groceries have little or no British merchandise either, and they aren't in the same state as me.

The problem you don't seem to recognize is that would be/soon to be immigrants come here looking for advice, and therefore making sweeping generalizations is unhelpful and often misleading. There is a huge difference between "you'll find that groceries in most major cities in the US carry a small range of British foods" and "you'll find British foods in American groceries".
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:29 pm
I have a comma problem

Mariano's is a bit like Whole Foods, posh and a bit pricey but they have a lot of great products and international stuff. Their beer selection in particular is better than you'd find in some liquor shops, the one I go to even has a walk-in fridge packed with beer. Jewel is great for beer, also, I find

Treasure Island is good for international stuff, they have isles devoted to various countries, including the UK and Ireland
There aren't enough zeros in my paycheck for me to afford Mariano's then, by the sound of it . I do like Jewel's beer selection though and more importantly, they have Strongbow as well

Treasure Island looks to only have locations in the city, so that'd be why I had never heard of them.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:50 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you didn't read all the replies to the other thread? Several other people commented that their local groceries have little or no British merchandise either, and they aren't in the same state as me.
Yup -no British food in my supermarkets either.

It depends entirely on demand, which depends on British expat presence. I don't think New York and Florida are good examples from which to generalise to the entire country.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 2:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Yup -no British food in my supermarkets either.

It depends entirely on demand, which depends on British expat presence. I don't think New York and Florida are good examples from which to generalise to the entire country.
This is true, I doubt you'll find a lot of demand for HP Sauce and Ambrosia Creamed Rice in Bismarck, North Dakota for example ...
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen stuff in my local Raley's and some Safeways.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Yup -no British food in my supermarkets either. ....
Well you're fairly close to NC, kind of, sort of, .... aren't you?
..... I don't think New York and Florida are good examples from which to generalise to the entire country.
There is almost nothing about the US you can generalize across all 50 states, ..... except perhaps that the standard of driving is hideously bad, and that the quality of house and apartments/condo construction is poor.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2016 at 3:16 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:29 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

There is almost nothing about the US you can generalize across all 50 states, ..... except perhaps that the standard of driving is hideously bad, and that the quality of house and apartments/condo construction is poor.
And here was I thinking it was just California...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.