Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

Old Oct 6th 2016, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

One of the common reasons people give for not liking the idea of living/working in the US is the stinginess of employers when it comes to paid time off.

While there certainly are still places offering just two weeks off a year, I am beginning to notice job ads where the annual allocation looks a lot more reasonable (20 or even 25 days). Decent maternity leave is still a distant dream, but at least it appears that the paid time off situation could be changing.

What has your experience been with this?
Old Oct 6th 2016, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

The starting PTO at my company is 5 days! Going up to 10 after 5 years service, I got 'lucky' I had previous service so they gave me 10 days, however as a salaried employee I get 5 'usable' sick days as PTO, so in effect 15 days. My wife also gets 10 days, she is a Regional Director, so is it improving?.................mmmmm not in my opinion.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you really have to have a lot of tenure with an American company to get a decent vacation allowance. I have 4 weeks which isn't bad. However, that also includes sick time and I have been with this company 17 years. It took me 15 years to get this much time off work. I honestly can't remember what I started out with, but I know it wasn't much. I remember that I didn't take a trip back to the UK for 6 full years and part of the reason was the stingy vacation allowance (not the only reason but that was a big part of it). It's work work work here and things don't seem to be getting better. As for the maternity leave for new mothers - don't even get me started!! I realize that you didn't ask about that, but as I have two daughters and grandchildren it really bothers me!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am not aware of any significant changes generally speaking. Vacation allowance seems to be heavily dependant on the industry you work in and your level in the company.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

I started a job in July with a medical services software company in Pittsburgh. I was pleasantly surprised with 15 vacation days, 4 personal days and 6 sick days.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
One of the common reasons people give for not liking the idea of living/working in the US is the stinginess of employers when it comes to paid time off.

While there certainly are still places offering just two weeks off a year, I am beginning to notice job ads where the annual allocation looks a lot more reasonable (20 or even 25 days). Decent maternity leave is still a distant dream, but at least it appears that the paid time off situation could be changing.

What has your experience been with this?
Always have to add the proviso in these discussions - we are only talking about commercial companies in relation to stingy vacation & having to work many years to get longer time off.

I say that not just because I worked for a university (25 days vacation, plus the entire Christmas/ New Year period, plus unlimited sick time. And this was from day one.) But also because I live and worked in a remote rural area - virtually no one around here works for a large commercial enterprise except perhaps Walmart or Lowes. Virtually all full time workers around here are school teachers, in higher education, cops, prison guards, or other government employment.

And vacation allowance is probably a meaningless concept if you work in Walmart etc., as you'll likely be part time only.

In America the concept of summer by the lake, at summer camp, at the "cottage" etc. is still a reality for many families. And that's the whole summer, Memorial Day till Labor Day. I think it's a bit of a holdover from the nineteenth century, when wealthy people left the city in the summer for their health. I believe it's still a factor in France.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, perhaps my view of things is skewed as I am mostly looking at jobs in universities.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Yes, perhaps my view of things is skewed as I am mostly looking at jobs in universities.
yeah universities you really need a cottage on the lake and a pile of books from the university library on indefinite loan
Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
In America the concept of summer by the lake, at summer camp, at the "cottage" etc. is still a reality for many families. And that's the whole summer, Memorial Day till Labor Day. I think it's a bit of a holdover from the nineteenth century, when wealthy people left the city in the summer for their health. I believe it's still a factor in France.

I've never heard an American suggest taking the whole summer off. We took three vacations totalling almost four weeks this summer, and some of my colleagues had trouble getting their heads around it.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

In tech in hotspot areas like NYC "unlimited" PTO is becoming the norm. Usually that means in practice you can take around four weeks a year, plus occasional sick days. Also, my company is very flexible about working from home, so a lot of times folks will WFH when they're not feeling well enough to come into the office, but well enough to work. Basically so long as you're doing the job and don't take the piss, they're fine.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:34 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

My company has been trialing a 'take what you need' policy this year. Waiting to see if it will be repeated next year but from what I see, most people are nervous to use it (I'm not one of those)! We also do the WFH bit too as a number of employees are remote workers anyway.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
..... I've never heard an American suggest taking the whole summer off. We took three vacations totalling almost four weeks this summer, and some of my colleagues had trouble getting their heads around it.
One of my colleagues, a born and bred American with no connections to the UK or other countries, takes two and three week vacations every year. He gets 28 vacation days to take so do I ), and often books his vacations to include a public holiday, thereby stretching his vacation allowance further.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Owen778

I've never heard an American suggest taking the whole summer off. We took three vacations totalling almost four weeks this summer, and some of my colleagues had trouble getting their heads around it.
These days, it would mostly be families where one or more parents are teachers.

The sense of summer as low season in the city is still current though. Traditionally, a lot of children are gone for eight whole weeks at sleepaway camp. It's low season at the opera, ballet, theatres etc. Weekly magazines (The Nation is just one example) often have less frequent issues in the summer. Monthly journals often take a hiatus in the summer.

Last edited by robin1234; Oct 6th 2016 at 2:21 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to tack days around the public holidays to make a week vacation, I have Thanksgiving day and Friday off so will book the Monday to make it a longer break.
We try and be a little more imaginative with our vacation now.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

My situation is getting worse in that I'm now being forced to use 20% of my vacation allowance for the week between Christmas and New Year. Unsurprisingly, the US is the only country that this legally flies in; no international employee is affected. They did "recompense" us by adding two public holidays, but of course those are also days when people might not necessarily want to take vacation.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 6th 2016 at 3:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.