Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

Old Oct 6th 2016, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Workplace vacation allowance -- is the situation improving?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
My situation is getting worse in that I'm now being forced to use 20% of my vacation allowance for the week between Christmas and New Year. Unsurprisingly, the US is the only country that this legally flies in; no international employee is affected. They did "recompense" us by adding two public holidays, but of course those are also days when people might not necessarily want to take vacation.
A few years ago I lost two public holidays and was given two vacation days to take when I want. ..... I wish they would do the same with the rest of my public holidays!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:15 pm
GSH
Just Joined

GSH is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking from having lived here for 30+ years, it's one thing to accrue the vacation time, it's another to actually be able to use it. Don't be surprised if your boss denies your request for a couple of weeks off and then suggests that you could perhaps take a day here and there to have a few three day or four day weekends. Taking multiple weeks off in the US just isn't something most Americans do.

The current place I work was purchased by a Canadian company about 18 months ago and they had absolutely no qualms about approving my three week holiday which I took last month and went over to Europe to see mum and dad.

Oh and don't forget now many companies are switching to "unlimited vacation" policies which basically means you don't get any. And of course they don't have to pay this out when you leave the company. Win win for them and a loss for the employee.

But hey, at least we all have our Freedom in America right???
Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
In tech in hotspot areas like NYC "unlimited" PTO is becoming the norm. Usually that means in practice you can take around four weeks a year, plus occasional sick days. Also, my company is very flexible about working from home, so a lot of times folks will WFH when they're not feeling well enough to come into the office, but well enough to work. Basically so long as you're doing the job and don't take the piss, they're fine.
I had a couple of mates working for a couple of companies that did that. When the round of lay off's happened, not that holiday was the reason, but they did say anyone that took more than a couple weeks off were all in the first round, regardless of productivity which was a bit short sighted, so no one bothers to make much use of this benefit anymore, well those who stuck around.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH
Speaking from having lived here for 30+ years, it's one thing to accrue the vacation time, it's another to actually be able to use it. Don't be surprised if your boss denies your request for a couple of weeks off and then suggests that you could perhaps take a day here and there to have a few three day or four day weekends. Taking multiple weeks off in the US just isn't something most Americans do.
Aye, the missus gets a healthy amount of time off, partly through tenure and partly through old benefits contract before a merger so gets 6 weeks but they can only roll over x amount of weeks and have so many weeks in the bank. Couple of years ago the missus lost 6 weeks worth of banked holiday because it ended up being a use or lose it and they don't have to pay it out in MA, so they didn't.

New hires accrue at 5 days a year, starting after the 90 day probationary period when benefits kick in, which covers the training and licensing needed.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GSH

The current place I work was purchased by a Canadian company about 18 months ago and they had absolutely no qualms about approving my three week holiday which I took last month and went over to Europe to see mum and dad.

Oh and don't forget now many companies are switching to "unlimited vacation" policies which basically means you don't get any. And of course they don't have to pay this out when you leave the company. Win win for them and a loss for the employee.

But hey, at least we all have our Freedom in America right???
I took 3 weeks off last year to visit family in the UK. I have family (and friends) in Northern Ireland, Scotland and England so that's why I took so much. My manager (reluctantly) approved it. However, when I got back, most of my co-workers didn't even as me if I had a nice time. In fact, some of them refused to speak to me! I got the cold shoulder. Yes - it's really wonderful here in the "land of the free and the home of the brave"!!!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I took 3 weeks off last year to visit family in the UK. I have family (and friends) in Northern Ireland, Scotland and England so that's why I took so much. My manager (reluctantly) approved it. However, when I got back, most of my co-workers didn't even as me if I had a nice time. In fact, some of them refused to speak to me! I got the cold shoulder. Yes - it's really wonderful here in the "land of the free and the home of the brave"!!!
Jealousy happens on both sides of the Atlantic.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Jealousy happens on both sides of the Atlantic.
???? I'm unsure what you meant by that! It's got nothing to do with jealousy! It's the culture here - as others have mentioned. Most American companies prefer that their employees take their vacation in "dribs and drabs" days off here and there. They balk at the idea of someone taking 3 weeks at one time. This is the culture here - I never mentioned the word "jealousy". They were annoyed that I took such a big block of time (which I had earned). I don't have an important job, but the work I do is "time sensitive" so it has to get done when I'm gone so I guess the others had to work a bit harder! I don't see what the big deal is if I want to take 3 weeks and visit my family. I only go back every 3rd year and I have earned the vacation time! I work extremely hard here!!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

My situation is getting worse in that I'm now being forced to use 20% of my vacation allowance for the week between Christmas and New Year. Unsurprisingly, the US is the only country that this legally flies in; no international employee is affected. They did "recompense" us by adding two public holidays, but of course those are also days when people might not necessarily want to take vacation.
A lot depends on industry and to a degree location. Here in Midwest many factory workers will get two weeks vacation a year, then after 5 or 10 years three weeks. But they also have mandatory overtime, I wonder if they have this in UK ? For example a factory I know will force employees to work 30, 40 and in some cases 60 days straight with no days off. Factories are also employing as many temporary workers as they can, to avoid having to give vacation or medical insurance, and temps have to work at same agency a long time before they get any paid vacation. Many of jobs created last few years around here are for temp agencies, so many in effect getting no vacation at all.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
???? I'm unsure what you meant by that! It's got nothing to do with jealousy! It's the culture here - as others have mentioned. Most American companies prefer that their employees take their vacation in "dribs and drabs" days off here and there. They balk at the idea of someone taking 3 weeks at one time. This is the culture here ....
You are generalizing unfairly based on your own negative experiences, which are arguably all too common across America, but far from universally true, and a long way from my experience.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 6th 2016 at 8:19 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are generalizing unfairly based on your own negative experiences, which are arguably all to common across America, but far from universally true, and a long way from my experience.
When 55% of employees don't use all of their already paltry allowance, I'd say it's a relatively fair generalization:

55% of American workers don’t take all their paid vacation - MarketWatch
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

You are generalizing unfairly based on your own negative experiences, which are arguably all to common across America, but far from universally true, and a long way from my experience.
My own experience with American companies has been that most try to get employees to take vacation days as opposed to week(s).
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:19 pm

When 55% of employees don't use all of their already paltry allowance, I'd say it's a relatively fair generalization. .....
The fact that 45% of people do, IMO proves my point, that DG's experience is (as I said above)
all too common across America, but far from universally true, ..
In other words: "45%" is exactly what I meant by "far from universally true."

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 6th 2016 at 8:21 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that 45% of people do, IMO proves my point, that DG's experience is (as I said above)
In other words: "45%" is exactly what I meant by "far from universally true."
Some odd logic there as you're assuming that all that 45% use their vacation allowance predominantly in one large block.

My experience (in high tech) is that those that do take a large block are usually those that have family abroad.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 6th 2016 at 8:32 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 9:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You complained they didn't ask about your 3 week vacation and you were upset/offended, whatever. I responded jealousy. Plus resentment. You did something that they had never done or perhaps thought they couldn't do if they wanted to.

Other than asking a colleague if they enjoyed their vacation, I don't ask anything further. Only do that with friends and colleagues are not friends.

When I worked, the last 20 years of my career afforded me 4 weeks vacation and 12 sick/personal days. I would travel for 2 week blocks at a time and my workload had to be carried by fellow co-workers. Never had a need or desire to take 3 or 4 weeks at one time.

BTW not all US companies what their employees to take vacation in dribs and drabs. It depends I'm sure on the industry and type of employment you have. I certainly never had an issue. My sister who worked in the pharma industry didn't have problems with taking 2 weeks off at a time. Those were our experiences. I'm sure it is not the same everywhere.

Isn't right to generalize your experience as the whole of the US.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 6th 2016 at 9:08 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 9:11 pm
Concierge

When 55% of employees don't use all of their already paltry allowance, I'd say it's a relatively fair generalization:

55% of American workers don’t take all their paid vacation - MarketWatch
Perhaps they don't have anywhere they really want to take time off to travel to or god forbid, they couldn't afford to travel, or having kids and other obligations prohibits them from doing so.

I was fortunate that I never wanted to take all four weeks of my vacation in one year. But I was paid for any of the 6 weeks and 2 days that I didn't use come February 1st of the following year. That paid for the next trip to Europe or two weeks at Seneca Lake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.