Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working in the USA

Wikiposts

Working in the USA

Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the USA

Originally Posted by lifeisgreat
Hi there

Just wanting to get some comments regarding your work experiences in the US compared to the UK. I would be interested to know the following:

Do you find that you work more, the same or less hours each week?

Does it bother you that you get less holiday (if you get more holiday time, please say), or does lifestyle compensate in some way for this?

What have you found different about the working culture in the US? Good? Bad?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Lifeisgreat
I think I work less hours here, but I am expected to stay on when necessary - it just hasn't happened much... yet.

There do seem to be lots of brown nosers though.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:45 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah
Working over here is bollocks.
utter utter utter bollocks. Then you die.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:51 am
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

I am working more hours but my days are shorter. I'm in the office for 7am but gone at 5pm. Living closer means I leave the house at the same time as when I was in the UK but I get home at least an hour earlier. I've been pretty lucky with vacation days. In the UK I got 25 days per year, here I get 20. Sick days are seperate. But in my case though the salary is a whole lot better. I got almost a 50% increase on what I was getting in the UK. Sounds quite good but in the UK we were a dual income family. I'm a happy bunny!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Pro's
- get paid more
- get more recognition for the work I do
- get more opportunities
- work less hours - don't have to get in early to speak with Eastern Europe and stay late to speak with the US
- shorter commute to work

Con's
- vacation time
- maternity leave

May be more on the pro list, but you have to decide what is important in life to you personally.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:10 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
..been working in the workforce 27 yrs and still have not had 1 single days paid vacation ....
How is this possible? Surely this cannot be legal - even in the US?

Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depending on what state you live in, employers might have the right to fire, which means you can be shit canned with no notice and no reason and get nothing as compensation.....and if the company is "struggling"...the first thing that goes is decent medical insurance...and to qualify for benefits get harder....on paper where the missus works, the benefits are awesome, but they are nae on impossible to actually get...also the 401K is utter shite, they might match what you put in, but if you leave within 5 years you can't get there contribution.

taxes are a mare but will depend on where you live,...the hours are long and there's not much you can do about it...the missus works a 11 hr day, lunch doesn't get paid....don't get paid overtime unless you schedule it in advance, don't have sick time, well that's included in the holiday time, have to either work thanks giving or x-mas...not all public holidays are counted as holidays and if you work them, they aren't always paid extra....holiday at x-mas is shite in general, straight back to work on the 26th, no holiday between x-mas and new year.

maternity leave is generally shite...where the missus works, it is 6 weeks, if your higher up, can get up to 3 months, but that isn't paid.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
How is this possible? Surely this cannot be legal - even in the US?

because it's a good way to make people leave and get new bodies that qualify to for even less benefits...
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

sprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to all

I might not find it too bad then considering that......

Originally Posted by Bob
the hours are long and there's not much you can do about it...the missus works a 11 hr day, lunch doesn't get paid....
I currently work 12 hour days & nights.

Originally Posted by Bob
don't have sick time,
Well we do, but if your off more than 3 times or 5 days what ever comes soonest it's off to H.R, then you are allowed to be of one more time in the next 6 months, if you exceed that one time allowed your back in HR again for a warning then they give you the one time off in the next 6 months and if you exceed it again your sacked. So everyone just comes in to work and passes their illnesses arround!

Originally Posted by Bob
have to either work thanks giving or x-mas...not all public holidays are counted as holidays and if you work them, they aren't always paid extra....holiday at x-mas is shite in general, straight back to work on the 26th, no holiday between x-mas and new year.
I have to cover in effect 365 days a year, so far this yr ive done all bank holidays barring one day, amd workin xmas eve and xmas day and boxing day & new years eve and new years day. Even the staff who dont do shifts only get (if it didnt fall on a weekend for example) 1/2 day xmas eve, xmas day and boxing day, then back in and then one day off for new years day.

So I might not find it tooooooo bad!! I hope
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:23 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I work longer hours here and get less than half the vacation time I did in Britain. Pay is marginally better here, taking into account the extra hours.

I have another issue with working over here - the attitude to training: I've only worked for one company here, but since they are the US's largest civil engineering consulting firm they may well be fairly representative of US working culture. The issue I have is that here there is almost zero support from employers for training and professional development. The engineering firms I worked for in Britain devoted significant time, money, and resources to training - sending people on courses, organising in-house training, and making sure that senior members of staff had specific delegated responsibilities to mentor and advise younger staff with regard to training and to monitor their progress towards appropriate professional qualifications. I don't see anything remotely similar here - my employers have some online project management training courses on the company intranet site and that's about it. Want to get a professional qualification? Then you're completely on your own - any courses you want to go on will be in your own time and at your own expense, and there will be no support from above.

I guess we're all meant to be ruggedly self-sufficient or something. Wouldn't want anyone to rely on any form of handout or welfare now, would we?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sprintblue
I might not find it too bad then considering that......

I currently work 12 hour days & nights.

Well we do, but if your off more than 3 times or 5 days what ever comes soonest it's off to H.R, then you are allowed to be of one more time in the next 6 months, if you exceed that one time allowed your back in HR again for a warning then they give you the one time off in the next 6 months and if you exceed it again your sacked. So everyone just comes in to work and passes their illnesses arround!

I have to cover in effect 365 days a year, so far this yr ive done all bank holidays barring one day, amd workin xmas eve and xmas day and boxing day & new years eve and new years day. Even the staff who dont do shifts only get (if it didnt fall on a weekend for example) 1/2 day xmas eve, xmas day and boxing day, then back in and then one day off for new years day.

So I might not find it tooooooo bad!! I hope

Who do you work for?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

sprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to allsprintblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Who do you work for?
I wouldn't like to say on a public forum........i know how you would love to stalk me!!!

Its in the banking industry
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sprintblue
I wouldn't like to say on a public forum........i know how you would love to stalk me!!!

Its in the banking industry
Its only because you want a ride on my wave. You said so yourself.

I was just wondering if it was an American owned company. But now you said banking all becomes clear....one of the last bastions of Victorianic practices.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:12 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Its only because you want a ride on my wave.
you call it a wave?
more a slow ebb me thinks.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
you call it a wave?
more a slow ebb me thinks.
Bit of a low tide mostly these days to be honest
Old Oct 13th 2005, 4:09 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
I worked for the NHS in the UK, so had 31 days paid holidays plus 8 bank holidays, my sick time was seperate as was my maternity leave, I had the protection of a professional body the then UKCC, here i get 2 weeks paid vacation and sick time comes out of that too, I'm in Arizona, which is a right to work state which seems to mean employers have all the rights, I have seen people sacked in an instance with no means to argue.My working conditions were much better at home.
We're in Arizona too, it's true, they can sack you for no reason, but you can also leave without giving notice too. I used to work for the NHS too, I had 25 days paid annual leave, 3 months full pay sick leave (then it goes down to half pay), 8 bank holidays, 6 months paid maternity leave, I could go on & on. I was on a great wage & was able to work from home (they would pay my phone bill for my work calls too), did whatever hours & days I liked without having to really report to anyone! I had it made, now hubby gets treated like crap at work & I'm a stay at home mum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.