Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working in Television industry in LA

Working in Television industry in LA

Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Television industry in LA

Oh, and if you don't have one already, you need to start investing time into a slick, amazing personal website.

Although I don't work in the movie industry, it was a personal website highlighting my work that caught the attention of a big company here and landed me my job.

From what I can see a technically competent website is even more important in the movie industry these days.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:12 pm
Banned

jxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the roughjxsteinberg is a jewel in the rough

I second most of what has already been said. I like you am trying to break into the same industry. I have a Degree in Media majoring in Post Production and fortunately for me have a Green Card. Since moving here I have taken on a few unpaid internships to beef up my resume and meet people within the industry and so far it has helped greatly and helping me move forward. My advice would be is to take up the J1 12mth working visa for students or recent graduates. As it's already been said at least then you don't need a sponsor, can take on some internships as well as a paid job wherever to pay the bills and hopefully make contacts and move on from there.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

John_1902 is an unknown quantity at this point

So...with J1 visa do I need to find work first before flying to the US, or can I come in and then find work? Either way, if the company offer you a full-time contract wouldn't they still need to sponsor you to get H1B or H2B?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John_1902
So...with J1 visa do I need to find work first before flying to the US, or can I come in and then find work? Either way, if the company offer you a full-time contract wouldn't they still need to sponsor you to get H1B or H2B?
You you need to find work, then get the visa, then come over - you can either find the placement yourself or go through a company that finds one for you.
The big problem is a lot of the places that say they'll find something for you are either a con or incompetent - either, people lose money. I'll send you a link to the company that found my placement, they were pretty good.

If they offered you a longer contract you'd still need them to sponsor you to get an H1b (or whatever is relevant).
Old Apr 19th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John_1902
Hi everyone new to the forum.

I am currently working in post-production company as an edit assistant, my long term plan is to move to California and LA to be specific. This is isn't about making it big and being famous its more about actually challenging myself and trying something new and what a better way to do it than in LA the hub of the entertainment industry.

I have done some research regarding visa, but it down on me that the best way to get a working visa would be to actually find a job first (i know easier said than done).

What I am asking is what strategy should I approach this, as I am going there on holiday to visit family in December I really want to come back with some sort of information or just take the opportunity to speak with someone. But not sure how to go about it.

Your opinion would be very appreciated.

Thank you
Make some contacts and arrange to see them and anyone else you can when you come out. Do you know anyone here that knows someone out there? Can you get a job with someone like Warner Brothers and then get a transfer? (I know quite a few people who have done this in a number of different industries and one from WB who was sent to LA and is probably still here and no, can't remember his name).

Also, there is a group on FaceBook called "BritsInLA'. Most appear to be in the entertainment industry so might be able to help you. You could also try to find appropriate web sites on line that deal with your industry and speak to people on other forums like this.

Good luck.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 1:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since California is already your long-term plan, why not check out Vancouver or Toronto? Both have thriving film and TV industries... and it'll be a lot easier to get from the UK to Canada in the short-term. Of course, I don't need to mention that many US TV shows and films are actually filmed in Vancouver and Toronto... so the opportunity to network just jumped considerably! Something to consider, eh?

Ian
If it's on the processing side to the industry, look at tax break states, like New Orleans as there are a lot of work in those areas but less competition to CA. It'll get you over and after networking, try and work your way to the location you want.

Either way, LinkedIn.com is the way to go.