Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rabies vaccination for older dogs

Rabies vaccination for older dogs

Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:17 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rabies vaccination for older dogs

Our cairn terrier had his first rabies vaccine aged 12, and it was the 3 year version. He's now coming up to 15 and therefore needs another injection (to comply with the UK pet passport if we move back and also when we travel around the US) however the vet has said that they don't advise rabies vaccinations for dogs over the age of 12 because they can cause major problems
They seem extremely reluctant so I just wondered if anyone had experience of vaccinating older dogs against rabies please?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies vaccination for older dogs

Hmmm.

Our eldest will be 16 later this year, and will need another jab. She had a 2 year one just before we moved out here 18 months ago.

She's been fine. Just old age stuff getting to her now.

Trouble for us is, to stay legally registered (Chandler, AZ), they have to have the jab. If they're not registered and they get picked up by the dog patrol and take to the pound, they will quickly find themselves being shuffled off their mortal coil...

It would be good to get something definitive posted here...
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Our cairn terrier had his first rabies vaccine aged 12, and it was the 3 year version. He's now coming up to 15 and therefore needs another injection (to comply with the UK pet passport if we move back and also when we travel around the US) however the vet has said that they don't advise rabies vaccinations for dogs over the age of 12 because they can cause major problems
They seem extremely reluctant so I just wondered if anyone had experience of vaccinating older dogs against rabies please?
My dog had her rabies shot when she was 12. TBH you really don't have a choice...you must keep the rabies shots up to date.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:10 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My dog had her rabies shot when she was 12. TBH you really don't have a choice...you must keep the rabies shots up to date.
I really want him to have it - problem is that the vet is hinting that they'll refuse, and saying that there's a big risk that the vaccine will make him ill.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
I really want him to have it - problem is that the vet is hinting that they'll refuse, and saying that there's a big risk that the vaccine will make him ill.
Which state are you in? In TX it's the law that they have one every year.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:35 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Texas used to be on a one year cycle for Rabies shots, but its now every 3 years.
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis...domestic/faqs/

Sorry - don't know about the age thing - our pooch is only 4....
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:26 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Currently in Canada, where the vets seem fairly lax about the rabies laws (i.e. their refusal to vaccinate older dogs) however spend a lot of time in the New England states especially ME and MA.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Currently in Canada, where the vets seem fairly lax about the rabies laws (i.e. their refusal to vaccinate older dogs) however spend a lot of time in the New England states especially ME and MA.
Well knowing that makes a difference. I take my dog across the US/Canadian border (Lewiston) regularly and have done so for the last 11 years. I have only been asked twice for proof of their rabies shots and that was taking them into Canada. If you're asked for the document and cannot produce proof your dog will not be allowed into the US.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:52 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Well knowing that makes a difference. I take my dog across the US/Canadian border (Lewiston) regularly and have done so for the last 11 years. I have only been asked twice for proof of their rabies shots and that was taking them into Canada. If you're asked for the document and cannot produce proof your dog will not be allowed into the US.
Problem is the Canadian vets don't worry about the fact that I may want to return to the UK without putting my dog in quarantine, or escape to the US for some decent shopping They just keep saying that giving the rabies vaccine to an older dog is very high risk and that the dog is very likely to contract something really bad if he has it
It feels like they are just scaremongering as I've tried searching the internet and can't find anything which substantiates their claims, but I also can't find very much about vaccinating older dogs. I was hoping someone in the US forum might have some experience of rabies vaccines for older dogs as the vaccinations seem to be mandatory there.
If all else fails I'll find a vet in the US and get them to do the vaccination.... but only if I know that I won't be putting my dog at major risk.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 2:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cxx
Problem is the Canadian vets don't worry about the fact that I may want to return to the UK without putting my dog in quarantine, or escape to the US for some decent shopping They just keep saying that giving the rabies vaccine to an older dog is very high risk and that the dog is very likely to contract something really bad if he has it
It feels like they are just scaremongering as I've tried searching the internet and can't find anything which substantiates their claims, but I also can't find very much about vaccinating older dogs. I was hoping someone in the US forum might have some experience of rabies vaccines for older dogs as the vaccinations seem to be mandatory there.
If all else fails I'll find a vet in the US and get them to do the vaccination.... but only if I know that I won't be putting my dog at major risk.
Are you planning to go back to the UK in the very near future? Your dog is coming up to 15 that is a very good age for a dog. I'm sorry to say this but chances are that he's not going to be around for many more years. So unless you're planning on going back to the UK this year...I really wouldn't fret about rabies shots from the UK point of view.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Texas used to be on a one year cycle for Rabies shots, but its now every 3 years.
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis...domestic/faqs/

Sorry - don't know about the age thing - our pooch is only 4....
But, according to your link, my local city can override that law and request a rabies shot every year which, I assume, is what happens in my city, but thanks for the link, I'll certainly check with my vet when I take my dogs for their shots later this month
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

But, according to your link, my local city can override that law and request a rabies shot every year which, I assume, is what happens in my city, but thanks for the link, I'll certainly check with my vet when I take my dogs for their shots later this month
Yes, that was just the state law - I guess if a city wants to pass an ordinance to tighten that, theres nothing to stop it. Some of the private facilities round here ask for more regular shots as well - one of them wanted a kennel cough jab within the previous 3 months. The same one insisted on a vets exam within the previous month (and guess what, they have a vet on staff to oblige if you're out of date)! I guess one way to look at it is they want to make sure all the animals are well, but boy do they generate some fees off it!