Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

working remotely

working remotely

Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working remotely

Originally Posted by jammiie
How could it work if she invoiced him for services as a 3rd party consultant? I assume she wouldn't be able to do that whilst living in the US without the EAD?
Invoicing as an independent contractor would solve the tax issues entirely. It wouldn't solve the EAD issue, but then it is unclear if anyone would notice.

Personally I would be much more concerned about pi§§ing off the IRS than USCIS.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The skype saga continues...

I bought another cell phone (target, unlocked $50) and got an extra line from t-mobile (only $10). Then set up the forwarding - it takes forever and doesn't work if you aren't actually on skype - pc/tablet running. This is now a major pita.
Skype stopped the custom voicemail greeting 3 weeks ago and the help forum is full of very angry customers who used it for business and now find themselves in the same shitty position as me except of course, all their business stationery and communications has this number on it.

I'll be doing my best to get a refund and probably get a vonage number (after I've checked that I can record my own message of course).
I have a UK vonage account. I am able to have a personal voice mail. Also the vonage phone and my US cell phone ring simultaneously if I want. It will also email you a transcribed version of the voicemail. Not 100% accurate, but good enough. Accuracy is accent dependent.

https://support.vonage.co.uk/article...reetings-22664

I forgot to mention, when I get calls on my cell, the CLI that comes up is the number of the person calling. Some other providers, this is not the case.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 4:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
How could it work if she invoiced him for services as a 3rd party consultant? I assume she wouldn't be able to do that whilst living in the US without the EAD?
you should go to the immigration part of this forum and ask the experts there about working prior to getting the EAD.

If that's a complete no-no then the tax questions are irrelevant.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to celebrate with y'all!!
Got paid this week. First real money earned in 4.5 years for me and I loved every minute of it! Just need to find a way to turn this into enough to support myself now.
Harvest app is brill. btw.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:21 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Just wanted to celebrate with y'all!!
Got paid this week. First real money earned in 4.5 years for me and I loved every minute of it! Just need to find a way to turn this into enough to support myself now.
Harvest app is brill. btw.
Congratulations! Great news that everything is working out for you.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Rathy is an unknown quantity at this point

HELP: Secondment of Husband: Want to keep my UK Job - Is it worth it?

My husband's job is seconding him for 3 yrs to USA and he will be paid in US$. Me and our youngest son will move with him but I want to hold onto my UK job. My boss has said I can continue 2 days a week remotely. Our 2 oldest kids are still in Uni in UK and need funds for support. I would get paid to my UK a/c about £12K per annum after UK tax and NI etc. Would I need to pay taxes in USA also?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rathy
My boss has said I can continue 2 days a week remotely.
You can certainly do that so long as you have employment authorization. What visas are you getting?

I would get paid to my UK a/c about £12K per annum after UK tax and NI etc. Would I need to pay taxes in USA also?
If you are working in the US and your income is over the IRS threshold for filing (which it is), you'll be required to file a US tax return. However, if your earnings are taxed in the UK they will not be taxed again in the US. In a nutshell, you include the income amount at the beginning of the tax return and subtract it out later as having already paid tax on it.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I am not certain which visa. I know it is for 3 years and permits me to work in US whilst there but I hadn't intended to do so.

CX
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rathy
I know it is for 3 years and permits me to work in US whilst there...
If it's a company transfer, then it's likely he'll get an L-1 visa... which means that you and your son will get L-2 visas. Be aware that it'll take between 60-90 days to get employment authorization after you apply... so there will be a period of time when you're not authorized to work.

Ian
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If it's a company transfer, then it's likely he'll get an L-1 visa... which means that you and your son will get L-2 visas. Be aware that it'll take between 60-90 days to get employment authorization after you apply... so there will be a period of time when you're not authorized to work.

Ian
Thank you for your help.

C

Last edited by Bob; Mar 22nd 2017 at 6:02 pm. Reason: quote fix
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can certainly do that so long as you have employment authorization. What visas are you getting?

If you are working in the US and your income is over the IRS threshold for filing (which it is), you'll be required to file a US tax return. However, if your earnings are taxed in the UK they will not be taxed again in the US. In a nutshell, you include the income amount at the beginning of the tax return and subtract it out later as having already paid tax on it. ....
If she's resident in the US then the US IRS is the primary taxing authority (she doesn't get any choice in the matter), AND under UK law if she is on the company payroll the employer in the UK MUST deduct income tax and NI. .... In short trying to stay on the UK payroll will create a pig's breakfast. The only practical way to do what Rathy wants to do is become an independent contractor and invoice her "employer" in the UK*, then become self employed in the US.

* The employer should be willing to pay the gross salary PLUS employer's NI, and perhaps the cost of any benefits that a contractor won't be eligible for.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 23rd 2017 at 10:42 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:13 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If she's resident in the US then the US IRS is the primary taxing authority, AND under UK law if she is on the company payroll the employer in the UK MUST deduct income tax and NI. .... In short trying to stay on the UK payroll will create a pig's breakfast. The only practical way to do what Rathy wants to do is become an independent contractor and invoice her "employer" in the UK*, then become self employed in the US.

The employer should be willing to pay the gross salary PLUS employer's NI, and perhaps the cost of any benefits that a contractor won't be eligible for.
yep.

When I was working out how much to charge, I took the UK upper salary level for the work I was doing and doubled it. They didn't even quibble...... should've been more!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

...Be aware that it'll take between 60-90 days to get employment authorization after you apply...
And just to set expectations I would say more towards 90 days than 60.