Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working with minors

Working with minors

Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

nikknakk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working with minors

I'm an adult & have an opportunity to work with some 17 year olds on a software project.
I would manage them , they live in UK and I live in California.
Is this legal ? I'm sure there are laws in both countries I need to seek but I'm unsure of the next steps ?
thanks in advance.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 12:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working with minors

Originally Posted by nikknakk
Is this legal ?
There are several unasked questions: Will you be in the UK working with them? Will they be in California working with you? Will you all remain where you are?

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes... it's legal.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

nikknakk is an unknown quantity at this point

They will remain in the UK, I will remain in California.
I plan to have them sign and me an agreement, would I need their parents to countersign ?
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikknakk
They will remain in the UK, I will remain in California.
In that case, I'm not sure what your concern is. Why do you think that working with minors is going to be an issue? You'll be working on a software project with them... you're not teaching them to use the bathroom - if you see what I mean!

I plan to have them sign and me an agreement, would I need their parents to countersign ?
To what end?

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2012, 7:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Will any money change hands? Or is there going to be in intellectual property issue -- e.g. they help you create something and then you make money from it? Will they need their parents' written permission to take part seeing as they are minors? Those are the kind of questions that pop into my mind.