Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working From Home - thoughts ?

Working From Home - thoughts ?

Old Jun 28th 2004, 3:09 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working From Home - thoughts ?

Whilst I'm in the process of setting up my own online business here, we need some money to keep going in the meantime. So my wife suggested the work from home thing.

But there are so many websites and companies out there who offer this and I'm concerned that they are a scam.
Most of them I've looked at you have to pay either a fee up front or buy a book, so they are right out.

Has anyone here done work from home ? Have you stuffed envelopes or anything like that ?

Would like to read of your experiences and any recommendations to a decent reputable company.

Cheers.
Webbie.

Last edited by Webbie; Jun 28th 2004 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working From Home - thoughts ?

Originally posted by Webbie
Whilst I'm in the process of setting up my own online business here, we need some money to keep going in the meantime. So my wife suggested the work from home thing.

But there are so many websites and companies out there who offer this and I'm concerned that they are a scam.
Most of them I've looked at you have to pay either a fee up front or buy a book, so they are right out.

Has anyone here done work from home ? Have you stuffed envelopes or anything like that ?

Would like to read of your experiences and any recommendations to a decent reputable company.

Cheers.
Webbie.

I remember watching something on watchdog over here the other month about them and it was all a big con, you pay for the initial fee and then the more people you get invloved the more money you make all one big scam. Pyramid selling.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Cheers.
Webbie.
As a writer, I've worked from home for over 20 years.
You can expect that any company that promotes a work at home scheme, such as stuffing envelopes, to be a scam.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

kellwie is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried many of these so-called "work-at-home" programs last year when my UK BUNAC work permit ran out. I tried tons and tons and tons of these "programs," and actually made some money. However, they all boil down to being pyramid schemes, plain and simple. You buy into the scheme and then in turn sell it yourself. I'd say at least 95% of people lose money. I only made money because I spent a lot of time at it. However, I didn't make much money (around £3000 in about 6 months--okay but not as much as a "normal" job would pay!).

It was fun for awhile, but the feeling that I was only making money by selling dressed-up pyramid schemes made me feel guilty, even though the vast majority of people involved know that they are buying into a pyramid type scheme.

There is a whole culture of people in "online marketing." They are all some form of pyramid scheme, disguised in various ways as "matrices" or "MLM" or "wealth-building programs" or "ad placing" etc etc. I could go on and on. Most of the people are buying and selling various programs to each other.

My advice is don't bother. Unless you are a marketing guru, you won't make much money, if you make any. And you have to live with yourself if you do.

Basically, if it sounds to good to be true, it is.
If you have to pay ANY money up front, run away.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

There's a plethora of ways to make money running a business out of your home. Nowadays, many LEGITIMATE successful, corporate-style companies are run out of their homes. Use your imagination. There's a lot more you can do at home nowadays to make money, then just "stuffing envelopes".

-= nav =-
Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be better off buying stuff at garage sales/house clearences and selling it on ebay.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:33 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a decent ladder, and a few signs to stick by the road and set yourself up as a window cleaner.....they're like gold dust round here - had one quote at $150. I thought that was for the year - it was for ONE visit:scared: Where theres muck........
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

For example:

I pay $50/hr to get my place cleaned by my maid.

I'm sure you could sign on 5 or 7 mexican mamacitas, give them cleaning materials -- and send them out to clean for $20/hr and pocket $10/hr profit.

Undercut the competition, advertise -- make big bucks.

And btw: send me your info cuz i'm tired of paying $50/hr too.

-= nav =-
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Buy a decent ladder, and a few signs to stick by the road and set yourself up as a window cleaner.....they're like gold dust round here - had one quote at $150. I thought that was for the year - it was for ONE visit:scared: Where theres muck........
What hikes up the rates is liability insurance, by the time the vendor pays it the $5 window cleaning is like you said, up to $150.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by supernav
For example:

I pay $50/hr to get my place cleaned by my maid.

I'm sure you could sign on 5 or 7 mexican mamacitas, give them cleaning materials -- and send them out to clean for $20/hr and pocket $10/hr profit.

Undercut the competition, advertise -- make big bucks.

And btw: send me your info cuz i'm tired of paying $50/hr too.

-= nav =-
Hire 'Mini Maids', they charge $50 an hour but they send in 4 people and clean your whole house, usually in 1 hour. The only thing they do not do is windows and wash down woodwork eg doors etc.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:20 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
What hikes up the rates is liability insurance, by the time the vendor pays it the $5 window cleaning is like you said, up to $150.
The old Mexican fella I spoke to running his cash only business out of a 15 year old truck, with out even a widow cleaning ad on the door may have had liability insurance, but I doubt it....
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:31 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

widow cleaning

I thought you said they were like gold dust, not gold diggers!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:51 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Cheers.
Webbie.
Of course you could always have a go at the oldest profession in the world from home.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:55 am

Originally posted by monster
I thought you said they were like gold dust, not gold diggers!

Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The old Mexican fella I spoke to running his cash only business out of a 15 year old truck, with out even a widow cleaning ad on the door may have had liability insurance, but I doubt it....
You are right, he probably doesn't, so who is going to pay when he sues you if he falls off his ladder? Also what happens if he breaks one of your windows by accident, you will not see his 15 year old truck for dust. It is like everything else in this country, all geared to some kind of insurance, that is why everything is so expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.