Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Working career break in California

Working career break in California

Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working career break in California

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think he eventually wants to live and work in California.
Well his tentative short term plan isn't going to work, and therefore isn't a bridge from where he is to where he wants to be.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:54 pm
Banned

JustinButler is an unknown quantity at this point

While you're in California you may want to check out a BritsinLA breakfast (http://www.britsin.la/breakfast-club/) or a British American Business Council event (http://www.babcla.org/).

Both groups are extremely fun and social but also have a great business element to network. They may have some good ideas or recommendations when you explain your situation.

-Justin
Old Jun 5th 2014, 6:39 am
Just Joined

ritchie684 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just want to experience life elsewhere in all honesty. No plans for a long term stay at all but you never know what life can throw at you and I'm in a position where I can get up in go pursue these things so want to take advantage. If I cant earn then that's ok, if I can then great.
At this moment in time I'm just trying to pick up as much information as I can going forward rather than it being a fantasy.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:06 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

There is no "working holiday visa" as you have probably gathered. The regular visas that are out there require employers to fork unto $5,000-$10,000 in fees and attorney expenses to hire someone who is only going to stay for a few months. It can take more than a few months just to get the paperwork sorted. Absent some amazing skills beyond those of anyone in the USA, that's pretty unlikely.

If you are still in school or just out, you can look at the J1 visa, which is basically the "Summer work" visa for foreign nationals to come to the USA and work as lifeguards or camp counselors or whatnot. But I gather you're a bit too old for that sort of option.

Basically, you can come to the USA on an extended vacation. Avoid some of the ridiculously expensive areas like San Francisco or New York and spend more time in the quieter bits and you can live a bit cheaper (airbnb.com, etc). But get paid to work while you are here and you run a slew of legal risks.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

If you are still in school or just out, you can look at the J1 visa, which is basically the "Summer work" visa for foreign nationals to come to the USA and work as lifeguards or camp counselors or whatnot.
Just a note on the J1. That's its purpose but it isn't always used like this. Sometimes it's used as a stopgap visa when a company wants to hire you but no other visa is available right away.

I got a J1 at age 38 while waiting for H1B, then green card.