Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work Permits

Wikiposts

Work Permits

Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permits

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Yeah but they always seem to find a way out! ...........
Better get used to it - that's how things work here in the US of A!

BTW, I was being facetious...

[That's another thing you'll want to get used to here at BE - there's a lot of leg-pulling, BS'ing etc!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
Better get used to it - that's how things work here in the US of A!

BTW, I was being facetious...

[That's another thing you'll want to get used to here at BE - there's a lot of leg-pulling, BS'ing etc!
It's OK - I know you were! That's one of the best things about BE - people who understand a sarcastic sense of humour. So far, don't think the americans really get it, I've had a few strange looks!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 6:33 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
It's OK - I know you were! That's one of the best things about BE - people who understand a sarcastic sense of humour. So far, don't think the americans really get it, I've had a few strange looks!
I bet you have! :scared: I find it great fun though...
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Never heard of CO9. What's your visa stamp in your passport? Do you have immigrant or non-immigrant status in the US?

The employer uses one's Social Security number to identify the employee for deducting taxes.

NC Penguin
She is giving you the code on the I-765; not a visa number.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:17 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Rushman's advice is erroneous. You can't call to apply for a social security card.

As for your problem, you were probably not found on the database system at ss and they had to write SSA for hard copy information that your status is legal.
It's all good, a SSN will be in the post to me in a couple of days, wooohooo!!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Rushman's advice is erroneous. You can't call to apply for a social security card.
I didn't tell het to phone to apply. She said she'd already applied and I suggested calling the SS office to chase it up. I then went on to tell her to go down there and kick some arse, she did and now problems sorted.
Hardly erroneous.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:25 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I didn't tell het to phone to apply. She said she'd already applied and I suggested calling the SS office to chase it up. I then went on to tell her to go down there and kick some arse, she did and now problems sorted.
Hardly erroneous.
That is correct! Thanx Rushman, luvvvv youuuuu!!! Did I mention that I got hit on while waiting?!?!?!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
That is correct! Thanx Rushman, luvvvv youuuuu!!! Did I mention that I got hit on while waiting?!?!?!
What with ginger hair. Now you're fibbing!!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:50 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by rushman
What with ginger hair. Now you're fibbing!!!
Yeah, it happens all the time, it must be the accent & the big/real English boobs!!! I had my son there with me too, even that didn't put him off trying it on!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:07 am
Back where I belong!

Well my SS card arrived in the mail today, altogether it took less than a week! Thanx for all your advice! I look forward to my first payday! Wooohooo!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:31 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Partystar
Well my SS card arrived in the mail today, altogether it took less than a week! Thanx for all your advice! I look forward to my first payday! Wooohooo!!!

So now you know you exist!

Congratulations!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:50 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Elvira
So now you know you exist!

Congratulations!
Thanx! It's been a good week, I received my immigration (I-485) appointment letter too, for January 12th. So I might be able to go home for a visit soon after that, hopefully! My hubby is worried that I won't come back!!!