Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Old Nov 18th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

Ok boys and girls, use this thread to give any and all reviews of the latest installment of JK Rowlings beloved stories from the wizarding world.

Just came from a special midnight showing, not bad, not bad at all.

Mike Newell's flare for the comedic comes through quite well. This is much funnier than the first three combined with quite a few laughs to be had. The Tri-Wizard segments are handled quite well for a director with no previous big-budget SFX experience.

The kids are getting into adolesence and their various crushes are the veritable life of the movie so to speak. The Yule ball scenes were particularly funny as were the romatical interludes between characters.

The final encounter between Harry and Voldermort was quite scary, perhaps too scary for small children. Particularly the scene where Wormtail cuts his own hand off in an effort to resurrect his master.

All in all an enjoyable 4th installment in the HP films.

Last edited by Jabba1; Nov 18th 2005 at 8:27 am.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

I liked it as well. I loved how the film got straight into the nitty gritty, the audience didn't even get the chance to applaud the fact it had started which they did when I attended the midnight showing for the last installment.

It was immediately dark, it was scary for the little kids in places (although I only took my older two as they all have school today and the younger ones wouldn't have made been able to stay awake) and I thought they did an excellent job bringing back the big V.

I missed Sirius though, I know his parts were not that essential to this film, but I think it would have been good to see the growth of the relationship between Sirius and Harry in prep for the next film.

The scary bits were split up nicely with bits of humour and I really enjoyed the way they dealt with the whole boy/girl attraction and relationship angle.

I just got back from the UK on Wednesday night and I'm really feeling jet lagged so it must have been quite good to keep me awake
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:30 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Errr, hello? Ever heard of the term "spoiler"? Perhaps you might like to change the title to "Do not read if you haven't seen the film!"

Some of us want to go in the blissful ignorance of not knowing what happens!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Never seen or read Harry Potter and never intend to. Sorry.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:15 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Ok boys and girls, use this thread to give any and all reviews of the latest installment of JK Rowlings beloved stories from the wizarding world.

Mike Newell's flare for the comedic comes through quite well. This is much funnier than the first three combined with quite a few laughs to be had. The Tri-Wizard segments are handled quite well for a director with no previous big-budget SFX experience.

The kids are getting into adolesence and their various crushes are the veritable life of the movie so to speak. The Yule ball scenes were particularly funny as were the romatical interludes between characters.

The final encounter between Harry and Voldermort was quite scary, perhaps too scary for small children. Particularly the scene where Wormtail cuts his own hand off in an effort to resurrect his master.

Boring. I got bored to death by the first film and vowed never to have anything to do with this series again. I really don't understand why everyone is so enthralled by formulaic childrens stories.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Well I say thanks and K to you both for the reviews. Hardly spoilers if you've already read the books.

You can say what you like about the HP series and JK Rowling, but they have had a huge influence in getting kids to read.

Annette
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:58 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Boring. I got bored to death by the first film and vowed never to have anything to do with this series again. I really don't understand why everyone is so enthralled by formulaic childrens stories.
Personally, while I'm watching the movies, I'm in their world. It makes me forget about my worries & let's me escape for 2 hours. In those 2 hours, I am a child again with my whole life in front of me & not a care in the world, it's a great feeling. Ignorance/innocence is bliss!!!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1

Great, give away the plot, why don't you.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partystar
Personally, while I'm watching the movies, I'm in their world. It makes me forget about my worries & let's me escape for 2 hours. In those 2 hours, I am a child again with my whole life in front of me & not a care in the world, it's a great feeling. Ignorance/innocence is bliss!!!
The Lord Of the Rings did that for me as I read the books when I was a child.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:10 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Yeah, I loved The Lord of The Rings also, great piece of writing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have our IMAX tickets for this Sunday, I can't wait. Out of all the HP books, I've only read The Goblet of Fire, but as soon as I've seen the movie, I'm going to start reading the next book. Hubby prefers to wait for the movie, so he has no clue what is going to happen, I'm so excited to see it, wooohooo!!!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, I loved The Lord of The Rings also, great piece of writing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have our IMAX tickets for this Sunday, I can't wait. Out of all the HP books, I've only read The Goblet of Fire, but as soon as I've seen the movie, I'm going to start reading the next book. Hubby prefers to wait for the movie, so he has no clue what is going to happen, I'm so excited to see it, wooohooo!!!

Child
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids are staying with the grandparents tonight, I think me and the OH might go without them
Old Nov 18th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nethead
Our kids are staying with the grandparents tonight, I think me and the OH might go without them

cheapskate, you just want to save a fortune on popcorn & soda
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:13 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I'm with you on that one. They are childrens books. I do think it's got people reading who wouldn't normally, but for highly educated people who do read to be getting involved in them something very strange is going on.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I'm with you on that one. They are childrens books. I do think it's got people reading who wouldn't normally, but for highly educated people who do read to be getting involved in them something very strange is going on.
Then there must be an awful lot of strange things going on. Fantasy novels are mostly read by well educated people.

Why do you judge people on the books they read? Why don't you accept the fact that everyone is different, and that you cannot expect all people to like the same books/movies that you do? If I like the Harry Potter books/movies, does that make me strange?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.