Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Work Permits

Work Permits

Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:56 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permits

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Go early and take a long book!
Have to go when my son will let me & he's enough to keep me entertained!!!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
Have to go when my son will let me & he's enough to keep me entertained!!!
The whole system was down yesterday, and sounded like it had the day before.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:46 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The whole system was down yesterday, and sounded like it had the day before.
Are you referring the the SSA's computer system.
It was down on saturday when i was trying to get my drivers' license and i was hoping to go back today and get it so i hope they're not still having problems. I've been trying to get this sorted for months
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It was down on saturday when i was trying to get my drivers' license and i was hoping to go back today and get it so i hope they're not still having problems. I've been trying to get this sorted for months
I was in the SS office for an hour yesterday and gave up.

I did not actually need them to have access, but the people in front of me were another matter.

Also why do they have more than 1 window, I have never been there when more than 1 was open.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Also why do they have more than 1 window, I have never been there when more than 1 was open.
This is just to p*ss people off - banks are masterful at that trick, especially back in the UK.
7 windows but at lunchtime when everyone goes to the bank only 1 open as they send all their staff on lunch too.
Don't they know that they are at least partly members of the "Service" industry.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:21 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the SS office today, I was there for a total of 2 hours & 15 minutes, which isn't too bad I suppose. My son was awesome, he didn't play up at all really. They told me to expect my card in the next 2 weeks, then I can get paid!!! Oh & by the way, all 7 windows were open!!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I went to the SS office today, I was there for a total of 2 hours & 15 minutes, which isn't too bad I suppose. My son was awesome, he didn't play up at all really. They told me to expect my card in the next 2 weeks, then I can get paid!!! Oh & by the way, all 7 windows were open!!!
Oh God!!! I am good ...
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh God!!! I am good ...
at stealing my credit?
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:35 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
They shut them down over the weekend, for maintenance....
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
Has anybody got any experience of how long work permits take to come through the US system (I'm an accompanying spouse and my wife already has a permit).

I've had several opinions from it taking 4 weeks to 6 months I've already been waiting six weeks. Still, it gives me time for other distractions
Took about 4 months in total to get my EAD - applied when I got here and after the 90 days were up I received a letter from them asking to see my husband's visa (which they had issued!) and our marriage certificiate (which had already been checked by them twice previously!) before they could proceed with my application - why they couldn't have asked this when I initially submitted the application I don't know! Think it's just down to luck and the intelligence level of the person actually processing your application. Getting a SS number was really quick after getting the EAD though. Good luck!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Took about 4 months in total to get my EAD - applied when I got here and after the 90 days were up I received a letter from them asking to see my husband's visa (which they had issued!) and our marriage certificiate (which had already been checked by them twice previously!) before they could proceed with my application - why they couldn't have asked this when I initially submitted the application I don't know! Think it's just down to luck and the intelligence level of the person actually processing your application. Getting a SS number was really quick after getting the EAD though. Good luck!

I think the problem is that each petition is dealt with separately, so the person processing your EAD may not have seen any other forms you filed - which is why separate supporting documents have to be submitted with each application.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think the problem is that each petition is dealt with separately, so the person processing your EAD may not have seen any other forms you filed - which is why separate supporting documents have to be submitted with each application.
Yeah, that makes sense. You would think though that given the age of computers and stuff that it would be logged that they had been checked! It's funny I always had the perception that the USA would be so much more advanced in things like that than the UK - until I got here and so far I've found out that in most cases it's just the opposite!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Yeah, that makes sense. You would think though that given the age of computers and stuff that it would be logged that they had been checked! It's funny I always had the perception that the USA would be so much more advanced in things like that than the UK - until I got here and so far I've found out that in most cases it's just the opposite!
It's like an iceberg, the bit you see from afar looks impressive, but the bit beneath the water can be very antiquated.

Perhaps US Gov should have a plain english requirement.

The thing that always amuses me is the included crap about paper work reduction, usually after I have told them the same thing four different ways.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that always amuses me is the included crap about paper work reduction, usually after I have told them the same thing four different ways.

But surely that's a Good Thing? It means you can sue them if it takes you longer than the allocated 2 hours 17 minutes to complete Form GBX673a(1).

Doesn't it?
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
But surely that's a Good Thing? It means you can sue them if it takes you longer than the allocated 2 hours 17 minutes to complete Form GBX673a(1).

Doesn't it?
Yeah but they always seem to find a way out! When my EAD hadn't arrived after the quoted 90 days I went to the local office to get an interim one only to be told that a letter had been sent to the wrong address. Even although they admitted it was their error they had 90 days to get the letter to my correct address, then another 90 days to process the application when I returned the form that they wanted me to fill in! I thought the girl was winding me up at first but she produced section 345235874320 of the t&c's that proved she was right. Left the place in shock at the incompetence of it all! Thankfully everything was sorted out and I had my EAD within 2 weeks of that.

I know that they say Americans work much longet hours than Europeans but you just have to think when you see things like that, the only reason is that we can get the same things done in half the time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.