Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

Wikiposts

Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:20 am
Just Joined

HannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really nice
Default Re: Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

Originally Posted by Suexpat
If you can live anywhere in the US why on earth would you live in Texas. Only my opinion. Also it is surprising how expensive Houston is compared to other parts of the US.
USA is so big that I'm not too sure where to go. Friend said Woodlands was good so hence looking Texas. We just hope to go for a couple of years to build up the USA side of our business. Then back to Canada to finish off kids schooling as they are Canadian citizens. I'm open to any suggestions.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:30 am
Just Joined

HannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Oh, Boston is hockey crazy! And tons of junior leagues.

However, I've heard taxes for business and personal are quite high.
After Boston beat the Canucks in hockey two years ago at the finals of the Stanley Cup ("The Superbowl" equivalent for ice hockey) by sons would never forgive me for taking them there. My youngest son cried for three days after the loss! He declared his heart was broken .... he's only 10. I'm not looking forward to when he breaks up with his first girlfriend!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Not sure you're going to be too happy with the Hockey round here. Our neighbours are Canadian, and their youngster was (apparently) a rising star in a youth league, lived and breathed hockey etc etc. (Dad played hockey too). Kid was 12 when they moved here and by the time he was 13 they were so disillusioned with the local Hockey scene that they had stopped completely and moved on to baseball.....thats Katy...Maybe its better up in the Woodlands, but if its that important to your guys I'd have a real good look at it when you come to visit.
As you can see from my last message by sons love hockey. One of them is already in the top tier league and I have been told by his coaches he's very good so I will differently need to look at the hockey situation.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HannahN
Thanks for the info, I do want a family community area. Although after some research last night Houston and Woodland area is looking expensive. Houses are very reasonable to buy but when you look at renting they look very expensive due to the property tax. But a house with a pool so appeals and some heat to me!! After living in BC I've seen enough rain to last me for a few years.
As someone mentioned before, with Exxon moving in house prices are shooting up and they aren't on the market very long either. If you rent, you dont pay the property taxes. We just bought our first house which is working out almost $1000/month cheaper than renting (and thats with the property taxes included).

If you like the heat then yeah, Houston is the area for you, but it's a horrible sweaty heat which lasts for months and months. I hate it, I live for 'winter' (ie December to March) as its the only time you can spend outside comfortably. I'd love to move to a different state just to avoid the summers down here lol.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:18 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
As someone mentioned before, with Exxon moving in house prices are shooting up and they aren't on the market very long either. If you rent, you dont pay the property taxes. We just bought our first house which is working out almost $1000/month cheaper than renting (and thats with the property taxes included).

If you like the heat then yeah, Houston is the area for you, but it's a horrible sweaty heat which lasts for months and months. I hate it, I live for 'winter' (ie December to March) as its the only time you can spend outside comfortably. I'd love to move to a different state just to avoid the summers down here lol.
The heat doesn't bother me too much in summer but I'd like to have a little more of a cold stretch! It was far too warm this last Christmas!

I think you need a pool to be able to enjoy Houston in the summer, otherwise you just simply won't want to be outside.

I quite like the Woodlands, some of it is actually quite pretty but it simply wasn't an option for us as I work in the Galleria and that's not a commute I wanted to make every day.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bink
The heat doesn't bother me too much in summer but I'd like to have a little more of a cold stretch! It was far too warm this last Christmas!

I think you need a pool to be able to enjoy Houston in the summer, otherwise you just simply won't want to be outside.

I quite like the Woodlands, some of it is actually quite pretty but it simply wasn't an option for us as I work in the Galleria and that's not a commute I wanted to make every day.
Yeah, I manically check the weather every day in winter hoping for low temps to come find us lol. Definitely been way too warm this year.

I agree that having your own pool helps you live in Houston more easily!! We didn't have a pool in our second house and I don't think I went outside unless I had too.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:38 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut

There is a new Wiki guide for living in Houston. I didn't know much about the Woodlands, so just put a little in about it. If you could see your way to editing it (or letting me know what to add) that would really help
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
There is a new Wiki guide for living in Houston. I didn't know much about the Woodlands, so just put a little in about it. If you could see your way to editing it (or letting me know what to add) that would really help
I'll certainly have a go, I'm not very tech savvy so I may be calling on you for help over the weekend
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HannahN
Thanks for the info, I do want a family community area. Although after some research last night Houston and Woodland area is looking expensive. Houses are very reasonable to buy but when you look at renting they look very expensive due to the property tax. But a house with a pool so appeals and some heat to me!! After living in BC I've seen enough rain to last me for a few years.
Check into rainfall in Houston. Accumulative, it is similar to Aberdeen, Scotland!

Again, there are tons of nicer places...!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
If you can live anywhere in the US why on earth would you live in Texas. Only my opinion. Also it is surprising how expensive Houston is compared to other parts of the US.
I love living in Texas
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:50 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I love living in Texas
Me too.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:01 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit, I didn't like it when we first got here, but now I do. I even like the weather - I don't think its anywhere near as bad as folk make out. Yes, it gets hot and sweaty, but only from about mid June to mid September, and you just adapt and slow down a bit. At least its not like that all year like the last place we lived, Singapore. The rest of the year I think the weather is pretty darn nice. I mean today is typical - fresh enough to want a 2nd layer riding the bike to school, but by 10am it had warmed a little, and clear blue skies all day. Just had the dog for a walk in shorts and T-shirt, and sitting typing this on the back patio. Lovely jubbly.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Must admit, I didn't like it when we first got here, but now I do. I even like the weather - I don't think its anywhere near as bad as folk make out. Yes, it gets hot and sweaty, but only from about mid June to mid September, and you just adapt and slow down a bit. At least its not like that all year like the last place we lived, Singapore. The rest of the year I think the weather is pretty darn nice. I mean today is typical - fresh enough to want a 2nd layer riding the bike to school, but by 10am it had warmed a little, and clear blue skies all day. Just had the dog for a walk in shorts and T-shirt, and sitting typing this on the back patio. Lovely jubbly.
Now you are making me jealous. I'm inside with my warm extra cosy pjs on.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:47 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Check into rainfall in Houston. Accumulative, it is similar to Aberdeen, Scotland!
Difference being in Houston we get it all in maybe 10 days a year, in Aberdeen it is spread out with a little every other day
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Difference being in Houston we get it all in maybe 10 days a year, in Aberdeen it is spread out with a little every other day
Hahaha. My husband (who is from Scotland) said, "Rain in the USA is vertical?!?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.