Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

Wikiposts

Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:00 am
Just Joined

HannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really nice
Default Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

We are a family of 4 that might have the opportunity to move our business to the US for a couple of year under E-2 Investor I-129 application. Moving from Canada, originally from UK.

We have friend who loves down there and likes it but she doesn't have any kids so I'm just checking to see if anyone on this forum has lived there, near there that can confirm whether or not the schools are good etc.

Any other information would be appreciated about that area.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:06 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woodlands, TX can anyone recommend it.

Hello
This is a good place to start for Houston information:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Houston%2C_TX
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:15 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Also check out the city-data.com forum for Woodlands, you should find plenty of threads on there. It sometimes gets a reputation for being a big 'step ford-wives'ish but that could just be jealousy as there are some lovely houses and they have a fab mall. Traffic into downtown is very busy but it's handy for the international airport. They have a British shop called Goodwoods. That is about the sum of my knowledge as I am way down South in Pearland
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:56 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Where will your business be located? You'll probably want to be fairly close to your business unless you want to spend hours a day in the car commuting. The woodlands is nice though. Can't comment on the schools there I'm afraid.

The Houston wiki Weeze has linked is a great starting point as is the city-data Houston forum.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 9:01 am
Just Joined

HannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really niceHannahN is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Also check out the city-data.com forum for Woodlands, you should find plenty of threads on there. It sometimes gets a reputation for being a big 'step ford-wives'ish but that could just be jealousy as there are some lovely houses and they have a fab mall. Traffic into downtown is very busy but it's handy for the international airport. They have a British shop called Goodwoods. That is about the sum of my knowledge as I am way down South in Pearland
My friend said they something the place did feel like a bit stepford-wives and believe I don't fit that bill!!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bink
Where will your business be located? You'll probably want to be fairly close to your business unless you want to spend hours a day in the car commuting. The woodlands is nice though. Can't comment on the schools there I'm afraid.

The Houston wiki Weeze has linked is a great starting point as is the city-data Houston forum.
We shall be working from our home, all communication is mainly done by email and phone. So no commute for us. We are lucky we can go anyway. USA is a big place and we had to choice somewhere and Woodlands sounded nice.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:44 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HannahN
We shall be working from our home, all communication is mainly done by email and phone. So no commute for us. We are lucky we can go anyway. USA is a big place and we had to choice somewhere and Woodlands sounded nice.
If you are working from home it would be a nice place to be. It's almost a self contained town, they have one of everything. There are a lot of events at The Woodlands Pavilions, concerts and stuff. You would barely need to come into Houston unless you wanted to.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Woodlands is becoming more expensive - especially with Exxon moving their HQ there from Virginia.

My question is why you'd want to move somewhere that is hot, sticky and has bugs?

Granted, Texas is a lovely tax-free state and wonderful for business owners. How about a laid back Texas town like Granbury up near Fort Worth? Then you'd get the whole Texas experience without so much humidity.

Woodlands is very suburbia with tons of malls, strip malls, chain restaurants and shopping. Definitely go visit for a while before you move there.... And if your work still includes trips into Houston, the traffic is awful.

Even towns outside Austin have more appeal. Just my opinion.

Have you thought about Nevada? Great business climate and dry heat.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Woodlands is becoming more expensive - especially with Exxon moving their HQ there from Virginia.

My question is why you'd want to move somewhere that is hot, sticky and has bugs?

Granted, Texas is a lovely tax-free state and wonderful for business owners. How about a laid back Texas town like Granbury up near Fort Worth? Then you'd get the whole Texas experience without so much humidity.

Woodlands is very suburbia with tons of malls, strip malls, chain restaurants and shopping. Definitely go visit for a while before you move there.... And if your work still includes trips into Houston, the traffic is awful.

Even towns outside Austin have more appeal. Just my opinion.

Have you thought about Nevada? Great business climate and dry heat.
To be honest Bomjeito, it's early days about relocating so I'm open to different places. Although I will visting Woodland at the beginning of April to see my friend and attend a trade show. I will be spending a week there checking everything out.

My next big challenge is too ensure there is a ice hockey league available for my kids. Yes Boston would be better or Chicago but I cannot do the cold winters. They wouldn't move unless I could guarantee hockey. They are truly Canada!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

I've lived in the Woodlands for 5 years and we love it. Yes it is a bit Stepfordy but there's normal people here too!! The schools are excellent, and the whole community is very family orientated - lots of parks, biking and walking trails, and plenty of neighbourhood pools for the summer if you don't have your own.

If you need further info on anything, ask away
Old Feb 7th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Bomjeito, it's early days about relocating so I'm open to different places. Although I will visting Woodland at the beginning of April to see my friend and attend a trade show. I will be spending a week there checking everything out.

My next big challenge is too ensure there is a ice hockey league available for my kids. Yes Boston would be better or Chicago but I cannot do the cold winters. They wouldn't move unless I could guarantee hockey. They are truly Canada!
I'm staying in Sugarlane with a friend of mine (I actually live in Fort Worth) and I know her daughters take ice skating lessons locally so I'm assuming that the rink will have an ice hockey league.
If you want to head north to the DFW area the Nytex rink has ice hockey.
http://www.nytexsports.com/

Last edited by lisa67; Feb 7th 2013 at 5:56 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:01 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure you're going to be too happy with the Hockey round here. Our neighbours are Canadian, and their youngster was (apparently) a rising star in a youth league, lived and breathed hockey etc etc. (Dad played hockey too). Kid was 12 when they moved here and by the time he was 13 they were so disillusioned with the local Hockey scene that they had stopped completely and moved on to baseball.....thats Katy...Maybe its better up in the Woodlands, but if its that important to your guys I'd have a real good look at it when you come to visit.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Boston is hockey crazy! And tons of junior leagues.

However, I've heard taxes for business and personal are quite high.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

If you can live anywhere in the US why on earth would you live in Texas. Only my opinion. Also it is surprising how expensive Houston is compared to other parts of the US.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
I've lived in the Woodlands for 5 years and we love it. Yes it is a bit Stepfordy but there's normal people here too!! The schools are excellent, and the whole community is very family orientated - lots of parks, biking and walking trails, and plenty of neighbourhood pools for the summer if you don't have your own.

If you need further info on anything, ask away
Thanks for the info, I do want a family community area. Although after some research last night Houston and Woodland area is looking expensive. Houses are very reasonable to buy but when you look at renting they look very expensive due to the property tax. But a house with a pool so appeals and some heat to me!! After living in BC I've seen enough rain to last me for a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.