Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Woman throws her three children into SF Bay

Woman throws her three children into SF Bay

Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woman throws her three children into SF Bay

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
So do gay men's testes but I bet there not pushing for more research on the male pill!
that doesn't mean lesbians can't be pro-choice/pro-life.

I am sure many gay men have opinions on the matter.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:19 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Manc]
Originally Posted by Rete

Don't you get embarrassed that the country just pledged $50 million to Kashmir.
Yet 2 months ago the president made a national address in New Orleans giving out an 800 number to the Red Cross (a charity) because the government couldn't cope with a catastrophe here.

I find it embarrassing, and disappointing that we pick and choose who and when we want to help people, particularly when people oversea's seem to get more aid than people within these shores.
The reason the US gave out the 800 number for the Red Cross is because the Government didn't have the mechanisms in place to help the people in NO - it had nothing to do with the fact that they couldn't afford to help out.
In the case of Kashmir they have probably given most of the money pledged to aid agencies to actually administer the assistance.
The fact that they couldn't actually help citizens in distress in their own country is indeed embarrassing, but what did you want the Government to do - go down there and hand out $100 bills for people to soak up the water in the living rooms with ??

Yes the US govt is a joke, but then again most of them are. We don't have too much to be proud off at home either.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BigDavyG]
Originally Posted by Manc

The reason the US gave out the 800 number for the Red Cross is because the Government didn't have the mechanisms in place to help the people in NO
Now I've just pissed my pants laughing.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Manc]
Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Apparently we've got water bowsers, ice and food trucks and gas tankers all waiting to move into the area as soon as Wilma has passed. But then this is Florida and that was Louisiana.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:27 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Manc]

Do you know anything about how aid is administered ????
If you just wade in there (no pun intended) with sack loads of cash the chances are that it won't end up with the people that need it and a significant amount will be trousered by unscrupulous schysters.

The US govt admitted that they couldn't cope and got the Red Cross to do what they do best - help out those in need. To my mind they have largely done the same thing in Kashmir which makes your original point rather naff.

The fact that the US Gov was unable to help their own people with anything other than cash is a joke though, but then that's rather stating the obvious.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Pro-lifers won't get there way. Not while the lesbians are fighting for pro-choice. Always found that interesting, lesbians being pro-choice. Makes one wonder why they would care?

May be because the alternative is the mutilation and death of women in back street clinics otherwise. To anyone who considers it, there really isn't a choice. It would be as stupid as trying to ban alcohol.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:34 pm
@matthewb76

[QUOTE=BigDavyG]

Do you know anything about how aid is administered ????
With the president on the Telly begging for money by the looks of it.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:39 pm
Thinking about it

With the president on the Telly begging for money by the looks of it.
After the original f**k up everyone was scrambling about trying to look like they were doing the right thing. Let's face it there isn't much else that you can use Bush for except to stick him infront of a few cameras and get him to read of an autocue and that's exactly what they did.

I would be completely amazed if they actually needed the cash to help those in NO but I don't really see how either of us could be in a position to prove the other wrong on this one.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:41 pm
@matthewb76

After the original f**k up everyone was scrambling about trying to look like they were doing the right thing. Let's face it there isn't much else that you can use Bush for except to stick him infront of a few cameras and get him to read of an autocue and that's exactly what they did.

I would be completely amazed if they actually needed the cash to help those in NO but I don't really see how either of us could be in a position to prove the other wrong on this one.
but you have to admit that I have a point.

for a disaster in the USA, we're scrambling around looking for charities to help us

for a disaster in another part of the world, we cart blanche write a big check and think no more about it.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:48 pm
Thinking about it

but you have to admit that I have a point.

for a disaster in the USA, we're scrambling around looking for charities to help us

for a disaster in another part of the world, we cart blanche write a big check and think no more about it.
Yep - all i'm saying is that the cheque writing is only the start of the process.
I still think that the Bush begging was all for show (afterall the Mayor of NO had been stealing all the limelight by appearing on tv shouting and swearing) and possibly helped to clear the conscience of many middle americans.

The fact that they didn't have things in place to deal with this in the first place is a joke - we can all def agree on that I think.

Tell you what though - these friday afternoons fairly drag in over here just like they do back in the UK. 1 hour til beer time
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
I think the witness who watched this happen who didn't jump in to try and save those children should be thrown in as well and with cement shoes. Disgusting how non-caring some people are.
The fact that you know about it and aren't on a plane over there right now to drum up support, give swimming lessons, and generally fix things means you should be shot.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The Kitty Genovese scenario was at least improved upon here -- instead of 70 odd people watching a murder, the one witness did call emerg services.

That said, I would've gone in after the kids or after the mum. I could not bear to watch three children die without trying to help them. I think that's a visceral reaction and not a rational one.

Others would choose differently and that's their choice. If I died, my own children would lose their mother and that's a great reason to NOT act. We all make our choices and live with them.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:41 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

that doesn't mean lesbians can't be pro-choice/pro-life.

I am sure many gay men have opinions on the matter.
Oh boy. My tongue was firmly implanted in my right cheek at time of posting. Not like you to miss that.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:44 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
May be because the alternative is the mutilation and death of women in back street clinics otherwise. To anyone who considers it, there really isn't a choice. It would be as stupid as trying to ban alcohol.
Not surprised at you though you, you always miss the point. Deliberately I might add! Did you see the pro-choice rally in Washington? I did. Struck me as rather odd that the vast majority of women taking part were lesbians. Apart from gay men they are probably the group least likely to be faced with having to make that choice. I can't think of many other 'hot issues' where that is the case.

I'll keep my flippancy to myself in future???
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised at you though you, you always miss the point. Deliberately I might add! Did you see the pro-choice rally in Washington? I did. Struck me as rather odd that the vast majority of women taking part were lesbians. Apart from gay men they are probably the group least likely to be faced with having to make that choice. I can't think of many other 'hot issues' where that is the case.

I'll keep my flippancy to myself in future???
For some reason, your post took me back to a documentary on Brit TV yonks ago where lesbians were discussing self insemination. They'd found some gay guy willing to donate and did it on the kitchen table with a cake icer or some such implement. Some hoity-toity doc on the show was bitchin' that it was so unhygenic and it should only be done by the medical profession. One of the women turned round to the doc and asked her whether her husband boiled his in a pan of water for 20 minutes before sticking it in her.

Dunno what it's got to do with the topic on hand, but that's where you led me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.