Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wish Me Luck and...

Wish Me Luck and...

Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wish Me Luck and...

Originally Posted by lionheart
Bob, did you send them a thank-you e-mail?? I usually send something like;

I enjoyed our discussion regarding the ****** position at ****, which we discussed this morning.
I am sure you would agree that am an excellent candidate, based on the information that I shared with you detailing my extensive ******** experience and historical excellence in many varied markets.
I am extremely excited about the opportunity to ************for ******* .
Looking forward to entertaining an offer and would like to begin discussing details as soon as possible.

Not that it's done me any good, but recruiters recommend it to appear enthusiastic
I have to disagree with the tactic, I got one of these after interviewing an applicant who was selling "herself", not what she knew. Her attempt to show interpersonal skills was overpowering, but the technical knowledge (the biggest part of the job) was woeful. This was just reinforced by the smarmy email that she sent in, she still knew f*** all about the job.

I'd resist the temptation. But what do I know? Only had one interview in my life.

Good luck anyway Bob.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:40 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
I have to disagree with the tactic, I got one of these after interviewing an applicant who was selling "herself", not what she knew. Her attempt to show interpersonal skills was overpowering, but the technical knowledge (the biggest part of the job) was woeful. This was just reinforced by the smarmy email that she sent in, she still knew f*** all about the job.

I'd resist the temptation. But what do I know? Only had one interview in my life.

Good luck anyway Bob.
I'm just going by the advise that professional recruiters have given me. I don't see how a 'smarmy' e-mail would prove or disprove technical knowledge You either know your shit or don't, but a lot of it comes down to chemistry too................ I guess???????????
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

I'm just going by the advise that professional recruiters have given me. I don't see how a 'smarmy' e-mail would prove or disprove technical knowledge You either know your shit or don't, but a lot of it comes down to chemistry too................ I guess???????????
It didnt prove anything. It just reinforced the perception during her interview (there were 3 of us interviewing her) that she preferred to rely on her presumed interpersonal skills rather than her technical ones.

She didnt say "If I could pick my three strongest areas of knowledge, it would be X,Y,Z, which fit well with your company's operations", it was more a case of "I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to talk to you today about how I can help you make the world a happier place". Yes, great. Next.

That's all, maybe we just liked the other candidates better.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:08 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
It didnt prove anything. It just reinforced the perception during her interview (there were 3 of us interviewing her) that she preferred to rely on her presumed interpersonal skills rather than her technical ones.

She didnt say "If I could pick my three strongest areas of knowledge, it would be X,Y,Z, which fit well with your company's operations", it was more a case of "I'd like to thank you for the opportunity to talk to you today about how I can help you make the world a happier place". Yes, great. Next.

That's all, maybe we just liked the other candidates better.
I think my original point was that if you had 2 equal candidates that were neck and neck, one sent an e-mail thanking you and expressing interest that might edge the decision in your favor. Obviously an e-mail from the queen wouldn't help if the candidate sucked in the interview to begin with.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:11 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I think my original point was that if you had 2 equal candidates that were neck and neck, one sent an e-mail thanking you and expressing interest that might edge the decision in your favor. Obviously an e-mail from the queen wouldn't help if the candidate sucked in the interview to begin with.

Exactly. Professional competence and suitability for the job is obviously a prerequisite.

But the person who goes out of her/his way to write a thank-you note demonstrates keen interest in the job. As well as good manners!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

OK, she sucked......

Hmmm, major Americanism distorting the facts...
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:33 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
But the person who goes out of her/his way to write a thank-you note demonstrates keen interest in the job. As well as good manners!
is that short for brown noser?? start as you mean to go on

says the unemployable angel
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Exactly. Professional competence and suitability for the job is obviously a prerequisite.
I hope I showed competence...the boss interviewed me solo on all topics for 30 mins, then the lead art and producer interviewed me for a further hour on my background and art skill set and what I could offer them in the position as well as what I could expect to learn from them....it helped they liked my portfolio
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:40 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, did you send them a thank-you e-mail?? I usually send something like;

I enjoyed our discussion regarding the ****** position at ****, which we discussed this morning.
I am sure you would agree that am an excellent candidate, based on the information that I shared with you detailing my extensive ******** experience and historical excellence in many varied markets.
I am extremely excited about the opportunity to ************for ******* .
Looking forward to entertaining an offer and would like to begin discussing details as soon as possible.

Not that it's done me any good, but recruiters recommend it to appear enthusiastic
Lionheart, you are joking, aren't you?

"I am sure you would agree that am an excellent candidate, based on the information that I shared with you detailing my extensive ******** experience and historical excellence in many varied markets."

This line alone would blacklist you from any job I've ever recruited for. It's one thing to be confident, but it's quite another to make assumptions about the interviewer's judgement of your "excellence".

People rarely, if ever, come across as "excellent" in an interview. If they're lucky, they come across as above-average. More often they appear to be a good fit on paper and don't appear to be a total psychopath in person. As an interviewer, you're lucky if you get two candidates who are at the above-average mark. If any candidate really was "excellent" in the interviewer's eyes, they would get the job every time, without a follow-up email.

"looking forward to entertaining an offer" (my italics)

That's another line that doesn't belong in anyone's interview patter. You may feel, as a candidate, that you are more valuable than the interviewer understands, but a line like that simply states that you only want the job on your terms. A candidate may "entertain" an offer in their thoughts, but on paper they should be content to look forward to any offer at all. That line just tells an interviewer not to bother giving an offer, because this candidate is too conceited to be likely to accept.

That email is professional suicide, as far as I'm concerned. If you're using it, you should stop. If you're suggesting other people use it, you're just being cruel.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:41 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I hope I showed competence...the boss interviewed me solo on all topics for 30 mins, then the lead art and producer interviewed me for a further hour on my background and art skill set and what I could offer them in the position as well as what I could expect to learn from them....it helped they liked my portfolio
Good luck Bob! You deserve a break, and this one sounds promising.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:58 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'm late to the party, but awesome.

Sounds like a cool place to work (jeans and t-shirts in the North East, whatever next??!!!!! 0
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Lionheart, you are joking, aren't you?

"I am sure you would agree that am an excellent candidate, based on the information that I shared with you detailing my extensive ******** experience and historical excellence in many varied markets."

This line alone would blacklist you from any job I've ever recruited for. It's one thing to be confident, but it's quite another to make assumptions about the interviewer's judgement of your "excellence".

People rarely, if ever, come across as "excellent" in an interview. If they're lucky, they come across as above-average. More often they appear to be a good fit on paper and don't appear to be a total psychopath in person. As an interviewer, you're lucky if you get two candidates who are at the above-average mark. If any candidate really was "excellent" in the interviewer's eyes, they would get the job every time, without a follow-up email.

"looking forward to entertaining an offer" (my italics)

That's another line that doesn't belong in anyone's interview patter. You may feel, as a candidate, that you are more valuable than the interviewer understands, but a line like that simply states that you only want the job on your terms. A candidate may "entertain" an offer in their thoughts, but on paper they should be content to look forward to any offer at all. That line just tells an interviewer not to bother giving an offer, because this candidate is too conceited to be likely to accept.

That email is professional suicide, as far as I'm concerned. If you're using it, you should stop. If you're suggesting other people use it, you're just being cruel.
Wow, what a vindictive little bitch. I must have really left an impression on you after our last spat. Have you been waiting a while to get your pound of flesh, why not suggest a solution to help our friend Bob? I would not hire you as you sound like an arrogant prick. It's easy to attack my offer of help. I have also hired people, however I personally appreciate an enthusiastic, aggressive approach. I don't think there is a fool proof way to make sure you get the position, I'm sure Bob is man enough to either take or ignore my attempt at helpful suggestions. I am no expert on hiring however I look forward to your informative suggestions, you might want to pull that stick out of your ass too, obligatory conceited smileys included .

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Nov 11th 2005 at 5:45 am.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:19 pm
Arrogant ****

Wow, what a vindictive little bitch. I must have really left an impression on you after our last spat. Have you been waiting a while to get your pound of flesh, why not suggest a solution to help our friend Bob? I would not hire you as you sound like an arrogant prick. It's easy to attack my offer of help. I have also hired people, however I personally appreciate an enthusiastic, aggressive approach. I don't think there is a fool proof way to make sure you get the position, I'm sure Bob is man enough to either take or ignore my attempt at helpful suggestions. I am no expert on hiring however I look forward to your informative suggestions, you might want to pull that stick out of your ass too, obligatory conceited smileys included .
Lionheart, I owe you an apology. I hadn't realized that you were job hunting too, and that you were offering genuine advice to Bob.

I still think your follow-up email stinks, and my advice to you and Bob is not to use it. It could never be the deciding factor in you getting a job, and its bad enough that it could at least do your chances some damage.

I have tried to help Bob with his job hunting in the past. I was completely unsuccessful (sorry Bob) but I tried a damned sight harder than suggesting wording for a bad email. Right now, I can only wish Bob the best of luck.

As for my pound of flesh... I'd love to be able to tell you that our last "spat" was that memorable, but until I did a search for it, I couldn't think what you were talking about. At least it explained the "pound of flesh" line. Stop obsessing over faceless internet people like me and put that energy into finding a job from which you can entertain an offer. I'll worry about the stick up my arse, thanks.

Last edited by dbj1000; Nov 11th 2005 at 12:22 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I still think the horses head in the Bosses bed ..get their attention sooner
and gets you results ..
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbj1000
my advice to you and Bob is not to use it.
Entirely concur.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.