Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

will USA salary support me and my wife?

will USA salary support me and my wife?

Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will USA salary support me and my wife?

Originally Posted by civilservant
Your contract refers to UK emplyment law. That dosent apply in the US and you would have no recourse to legal action. To my mind essentially that contract would be worthless.

You should insist (and have it in writing) that your terms and conditions will remain the same (or improve) upon conmencement of your US contract.
My OH is also going to be on a US contract (going on an L1A visa). He is keeping his UK holiday allowance and has also negotiated a severance package should the company decide to cancel his contract "without cause".
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of the wiki up top.

There's a bunch of stuff to consider in a relocation package, holiday allowance, medical benefits, greencards, repatriation etc. All makes a bigger picture of whether it is worth it or not and only you can decide.

Indiana is a pretty big state and there's bound to be quite a difference in cost of living depending on where in the state you'll be, so also might want to have a look at city-data.com for some local info.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 2:47 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

12 months rent would be generous even for a banker making 3x your salary, so if you get it that would be great but you might need to budget for rent a bit earlier than you expect.

Health insurance will vary depending on the company and you current health condition. Anywhere from free to $600 a month is possible for you and the wife.

As others have noted, for your wife to work while she is physically residing in the USA she will need a visa. The "I work on the Internet and paid in the UK" thing doesn't hold water as far as visas and taxes are concerned. Your physical presence determines where you need to have the authorization, with a few minor exceptions.

You should also be budgeting for a car and car insurance, which will be costly at first as you will have no US credit history.

The WIKI at the top has some sections on relocation benefits. One good thing to consider is some 'tax filing advice' funds--have them pay for an accountant the first year you are filing a US tax return. Can be quite confusing.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Johnny_laser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I'll look at the WIKI later. The more I look into it the more the hole gets bigger

J
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnny_laser
Thanks I'll look at the WIKI later. The more I look into it the more the hole gets bigger

J
Yep that's the US for you! Its not all beaches, palm trees and Baywatch . Day to day living here is probably very similar imho to that you experience in the UK, except without the comforts of familiar surroundings, friends etc. If thats something that excites and the money is right then its probably a good move.

As already said $28 - $35 p.hr in Indiana might be ok depending on where you are in the state. I would look at the areas on a real estate website - this one is usually fairly good www.redfin.com to see what your rent or buying prices might be.

Other than that you have to factor healthcare costs, again as already said could be anywhere from free to $600 per month, but you need to know.

Often forgotten are potential visits home. For two this is likely going to cost between $2000 - $3000 per visit if you include car hire and incidentals, so that's another $167 - $250 per month to budget for.

I have to say with those considerations even $35 per hour begins to look fairly tight.

Last edited by vikingsail; Apr 16th 2013 at 4:27 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Johnny_laser is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm due to go to West Viginia in May for a month so can look at the living costs at the same time.

With my job I get day to day living expenses in my hand $36 per day whether I use all of it or not. So there's some extra cash.

But until I get my job offer I can't make any decisions but I think some heavy negotiation will be required before I commit.

J
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm due to go to West Viginia in May for a month so can look at the living costs at the same time.

With my job I get day to day living expenses in my hand $36 per day whether I use all of it or not. So there's some extra cash.

But until I get my job offer I can't make any decisions but I think some heavy negotiation will be required before I commit.

J
CoL will be very different from one state to the other.

That living expense is probably taxable.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I work in WV... the cost of living in WV is less than in Indiana.

Ian
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
..... the cost of living in WV is less than in Indiana.
So is the standard of living!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

On an L1A visa my husband got an L2 which theoretically (but not guaranteed) allows him to work here but first he had to physically be in the States and then apply for an EAD, pay the fee and wait for the decision. It took approx 4 months from arriving in the US to him receiving the EAD (employment authorization) so budget that your wife may not be able to work for the first few months. My company paid for his EAD application and now, two years later they are picking up the cost to renew this and have done the paperwork.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:35 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've learned from numerous international relocations is that the clear financial gain you get from a higher salary or lower taxes is often quite a bit cloudier when you consider some secondary and hidden expenses you encounter later during the process. I often call this the "placemat expenses".

When you move, you often will find yourself throwing out some things or just forgetting to bring them, like a placemat, or a can opener, or a set of pans, or a power tool, or whatever. These are things that you have acquired over the years back home but didn't take with you. "I only use it once a year" you think and then, a year later in the new country you are like "hmmm, guess I should have brought that". This can lead to a number of small expenses that start to add up over the course of the year as you find yourself re-kitting out your house with little things.

The other thing is the hidden costs in doing things. For example, you'll be charged a fee to get a new drivers license, or you'll discover your area has a small sales tax on every purchase, or there are a number of heath insurance copays and other related charges you'll be socked with. Or conversely the overtime hours you were promised don't come through after a few months.

In the end, what looks like a clear financial gain from moving often is a bit murkier or even a wash. In the end, the day-to-day is actually quite similar to what you are experiencing back home, absent the friends and family and community you have had around you all your life.

Now, that's not to say don't come, it's just to point out if money is the "only reason" you are coming you better be sure the money is really there once you make the switch.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

well i'm guessing somewhere within Indiana, sorry it's a bit vague like i said still awaiting the job offer and finer details.

They did mention it will be a L1 visa.
My wife is self employed and can work anywhere as long as she has internet connectivity, i'm not sure how this will work in the USA thou regarding tax ect.

She's self employed travel agent.

My job title will be Applications Engineer taking me all over, Detroit, West Virginia, Mexico and Canada.
Let me address your wife's job situation.

Not to sound sarcastic but I don't think there is much need for travel agents anymore at least in the USA.

My wife was a top selling travel agent for 14 years, she left that job 17 years ago, the company she worked for went under a few years later, two things happened, the Internet came along and everyone started to book online, plus Airlines drastically dropped their commissions to agencies.

I still see travel agencies in the UK but not here, We moved to an area that had 12 travel agencies, I don't know of one in our area today.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:44 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm slightly confused (doesn't take much!)...

Is this a contract position? Why are we talking in salary/hr?

I'd be very surprised if you could get an L1 on a contract basis
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Let me address your wife's job situation.

Not to sound sarcastic but I don't think there is much need for travel agents anymore at least in the USA.

My wife was a top selling travel agent for 14 years, she left that job 17 years ago, the company she worked for went under a few years later, two things happened, the Internet came along and everyone started to book online, plus Airlines drastically dropped their commissions to agencies.

I still see travel agencies in the UK but not here, We moved to an area that had 12 travel agencies, I don't know of one in our area today.
I actually disagree. If self employed there are niche practices for travel agents The one I have seen is working for people or groups of, who are to busy and need constant travel arrangements - think celebrities, this would obviously require great networking etc. Alternatively, all the bona fide internet companies still have 'travel consultants.' Vacationstogo.com springs to mind as a company that employs coordinators/consultants so if you have travel agency experience that might suit.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bink
I'm slightly confused (doesn't take much!)...

Is this a contract position? Why are we talking in salary/hr?

I'd be very surprised if you could get an L1 on a contract basis
He might simply be an hourly employee rather than salaried. At least that way he'd get paid for overtime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.