Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will INS know

Will INS know

Old May 4th 2002, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Sheri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will INS know

I am going to tell the truth on my G325, that I did work in the states illegally, but I do not want to put exactly how long I did work for because I told the border guard I had not been to the states since my last denial. But, I have,and I worked. Is this considered fraud? And I think I have screwed myself over now. Should I be absolutely truthful on the G325, even though I should not have been in the states then. You must remember, Canadians often cross the border without even having to show ID. Unfortunately, the saddest part is that my lawyer just says, tell the truth, and I will, but will this get me into more trouble?
we are doing a K1
Old May 5th 2002, 1:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will INS know

Putting together this post with your other post, I can see that you never learned that working in the US without permission is not allowed by INS. Shame that you decided to flaunt the lax borders by committing the same offense twice.

As others have told you, there is no way for anyone here to tell you what will or will not happen or what INS has on your records. Just because your passport was not stamped does not mean that an entry was not made under your name in the INS computers.

Go with the advice of your attorney.

Good Luck
Old May 5th 2002, 1:22 am
Just Joined

yes, I have been dumb. I know that. But, at the time, it seemed harmless enough. I did not think it would ever amount to anything. I was just plain dumb, and probably will end up paying for it in the long run.
Old May 5th 2002, 11:10 am
Alvena Ferreira

Sheri wrote:
    > I am going to tell the truth on my G325, that I did work in the states illegally,
    > but I do not want to put exactly how long I did work for because I told the border
    > guard I had not been to the states since my last denial. But, I have,and I worked.
    > Is this considered fraud? And I think I have screwed myself over now. Should I be
    > absolutely truthful on the G325, even though I should not have been in the states
    > then. You must remember, Canadians often cross the border without even having to
    > show ID. Unfortunately, the saddest part is that my lawyer just says, tell the
    > truth, and I will, but will this get me into more trouble? we are doing a K1
    >
You should tell the truth. Illegal work is a "waiverable" problem. It will not keep
you from getting the visa, but it might prolong things by a few months to get the
waiver. Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old May 5th 2002, 12:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe the working is going to be much of a problem. Any problem she will incur is if the INS knows that she committed fraud by returning to work in the US after being found out and being told not to do it again or to try to re-enter the country without proper documentation that she will return to Canada. That, of course, is waivable as you say.
Old May 5th 2002, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

The thing I'm wondering, is how will INS know? They have no record of me entering the US, 'nor of me returning home. As far as I know, they can not exchange information with the IRS????
Can they??? In short, I want to admit, the previous illegal work, but not the recent. If this is a bad idea, than I will be honest, but in that case, how long does the waiver take? When I am denied, will we have to start all over again? Or do we just submit the waiver to the consulate and wait for it to be approved or denied?
Old May 6th 2002, 1:40 am
Mrtravel

How do you know they have no record? Do you know, for certain, that INS person
didn't enter anything into the computer when he rejected your entry? If you want to
lie to INS, go ahead, but beware of the risks. That would be a possible lifetime ban
for fraud.

Personally, I would admit to the work.

Sheri wrote:
    >
    > The thing I'm wondering, is how will INS know? They have no record of me entering
    > the US, 'nor of me returning home. As far as I know, they can not exchange
    > information with the IRS???? Can they??? In short, I want to admit, the previous
    > illegal work, but not the recent. If this is a bad idea, than I will be honest, but
    > in that case, how long does the waiver take? When I am denied, will we have to
    > start all over again? Or do we just submit the waiver to the consulate and wait for
    > it to be approved or denied?
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 6th 2002, 1:48 am
Just Joined

What I meant was, yes, they do have record of my previous admission to employment, but they did not deny me on those grounds, they just said I was a risk. How long does the waiver take to process?
Old May 6th 2002, 4:40 am
Einstien

They usually dont exchange info with the IRS. But they can. I read on an Atty's
website that IRS and INS can exchange info. My guess is that they might do it on a
case where they doubt fraud. SSA on the other hand will not exchange info with the
INS. This is a well known fact that I have read in many news articles. They atty's
site is www.murthy.com Read the past chat transcripts. I am not sure about the
exact date.

"Sheri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > The thing I'm wondering, is how will INS know? They have no record of me entering
    > the US, 'nor of me returning home. As far as I know, they can not exchange
    > information with the IRS???? Can they??? In short, I want to admit, the previous
    > illegal work, but not the recent. If this is a bad idea, than I will be honest, but
    > in that case, how long does the waiver take? When I am denied, will we have to
    > start all over again? Or do we just submit the waiver to the consulate and wait for
    > it to be approved or denied?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 6th 2002, 4:54 am
Just Joined

I suppose, it does not matter. I am going to have to tell the truth because I have already admitted to it, and a few extra months to do a waiver is more reasonable than a 10yr ban for lying. At the time, nothing was a big deal... has that changed!! Now I feel hopeless. But, true love endures the tests of time....
Old May 6th 2002, 6:40 am
Skaternl

Seems to me you have a pretty big iron plate installed in your head. My gosh. If
you want to get into this country legally and without too many problems, LISTEN TO
YOUR ATTORNEY! As everybody says, illegal work IS waivable. But BE HONEST. Tell
them you worked here twice and get over it. UNLESS YOUR attorney tells you other to
do (which I find doubtful, but then again, I am not a lawyer). So be honest and
stay honest. And don't make those kind of mistakes again. Get onto the straight
path, and stay on it.

This is my 5 cents. Good luck,

Daniel

Sheri <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > What I meant was, yes, they do have record of my previous admission to employment,
    > but they did not deny me on those grounds, they just said I was a risk. How long
    > does the waiver take to process?

Old May 6th 2002, 8:10 am
Mrtravel

I agree. What is the sense of hiring an attorney and then not listening to him?

SKaTeRNL wrote:
    >
    > Seems to me you have a pretty big iron plate installed in your head. My gosh. If
    > you want to get into this country legally and without too many problems, LISTEN TO
    > YOUR ATTORNEY! As everybody says, illegal work IS waivable. But BE HONEST. Tell
    > them you worked here twice and get over it. UNLESS YOUR attorney tells you other to
    > do (which I find doubtful, but then again, I am not a lawyer). So be honest and
    > stay honest. And don't make those kind of mistakes again. Get onto the straight
    > path, and stay on it.
    >
    > This is my 5 cents. Good luck,
    >
    > Daniel
    >
    > Sheri <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > What I meant was, yes, they do have record of my previous admission to
    > > employment, but they did not deny me on those grounds, they just said I was a
    > > risk. How long does the waiver take to process?

Old May 6th 2002, 2:10 pm
Betastar

On 6 May 2002 05:10:08 GMT, Sheri <[email protected]> wrote:

>I suppose, it does not matter. I am going to have to tell the truth

So does this mean you're finally learning something??