Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will I be earning enough?

Will I be earning enough?

Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:24 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I be earning enough?

Originally Posted by md95065
I moved to the US when I was 31 years old and single, and traded a UK salary of about £23k for an initial US salary of $48k with very little in the way of relocation expenses. Initially it was quite tight financially, but within 3 years I was making almost $100k and I have never looked back.

The catch is that this was 27 years ago - I truly cannot imagine someone making a work based relocation to the US today for a salary of only $40k (even with the promise of some bonuses) unless they were willing to take a very big risk ...
+1

However, that said, an awful lot of people do live here and make around the same money yet seem to 'exist' quite fine. I'm completely baffled by how they manage it to be fair, maybe someone else has insight?

As another poster said, get a green card written into your relocation, then when your employer has successfully petitioned for you, and if they're not paying you the market rate then you'll be free to go elsewhere. You'll be surprised at how much higher salaries here are (in my line of work [IT consultancy] the entrance salary is around $100k here in Boston, it's around 40-45k GBP in England).
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
+1

However, that said, an awful lot of people do live here and make around the same money yet seem to 'exist' quite fine. I'm completely baffled by how they manage it to be fair, maybe someone else has insight?

As another poster said, get a green card written into your relocation, then when your employer has successfully petitioned for you, and if they're not paying you the market rate then you'll be free to go elsewhere. You'll be surprised at how much higher salaries here are (in my line of work [IT consultancy] the entrance salary is around $100k here in Boston, it's around 40-45k GBP in England).
Yeah it is kind of a shame I am not continuing the Web Developer side of things as salaries seem really good!

I am confident of a big increase in salary in a year. Providing the US business is making a profit I know I can ask for a pretty big increase. If it all goes to crap or we hate it we will just go back to the UK. Hopefully that won't happen!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband was 19 when he got a job in Germany....couldn't speak a word of German. I don't think he even had 2 suitcases...knowing him he probably took everything in a carrier bag.
I can believe that! Couldn't leave the UK with the carrier bags they give out today - they don't even hold a change of underwear and a toothbrush.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have said many people on these boards fall into the high earners category (we did not my OH works in academia).

I would say go for it but be careful. Get things in writing re.the Green Card. I also don't understand your health insurance allowance - they should be able to tell you which particular plan you will be on so you can have a look at the real costs. I'd be hesitant of your plan not to take maternity cover - what happens if contraception fails?

We had to self fund our move over (my husband's old PI actually paid his flight for him as a thank you gift) and for the first 8 months I didn't work (EAD issues then actually had to find a job). It was probably the hardest thing we have ever done. I remember going to the supermarket one day and leaving in tears because for the first time in my adult life I couldn't afford what I wanted to buy. We had no car and rented a small 1 bed apt. We are in a biotech area and many of our friends are high earners - I remember in those 'poor' days feeling so embarrased at constantly having to say we can't afford to do xyz.

Then things changed; I got a job earning a decent wage and we have never looked back. We actually had a baby too! So I say do it but understand that your lifestyle will change. $40000 is not a lot of money at all.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
I also don't understand your health insurance allowance - they should be able to tell you which particular plan you will be on so you can have a look at the real costs. I'd be hesitant of your plan not to take maternity cover - what happens if contraception fails?
I wonder if he's supposed to use the money to buy his own plan on the exchanges? I don't like the sound of it either.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thing about all the "go for its", which to be fair, without kids and being young is a great chance to go do that, but you're not single.

If you were, I'd say as long as you've got exit cash stashed away it would be a no brainer.

Thing is, what if one of you likes it and the other doesn't?

What if the OH doesn't find work quickly, or the kind of work/level expected?

Then you're in a bit more of a financial struggle or a relationship struggle.

I'm not saying don't go for it. It still is a great opportunity! Though do think about it and don't be flippant about it.

What exit plans will you have? How long will you give it if either one of you doesn't like it? Stuff like that. It's not meant to put you off from doing this, but they are realistic issues that have hammered folks and broken relationships.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I'd go for it. There's only so much slicing and dicing one can do. Kinda like preparing for retirement and making sure you have enough money (you never have enough money). Of the major cities Chicago is the cheapest, it's not like you're moving to NY or LA. 40k is doable especially with the 5k for this and 5k for that. The only thing I would press them for is a Green Card. Once you get that you are free to go to and fro. And if the whole deck of cards collapses you can always fly back to the Res. Enjoy yourselfs while you can.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
+1 However, that said, an awful lot of people do live here and make around the same money yet seem to 'exist' quite fine. I'm completely baffled by how they manage it to be fair, maybe someone else has insight?
I can try. I make 16-18k a year most years, and when I was single, I always had roommates, if not single rent was split with the person I was with.

Food can be tricky, but basically I eat what is on sale, and also not super processed or junk, so not much meat, mostly pasta (gluten free now, and I don't get sick anymore.) make stews in the crock pot, eating cheap fruits like banana's and cheap veggies like broccoli, and carrots, and various beans.

Skipping most dairy as its pricey here, including milk. Using almond milk in cereal as its generally cheaper and on sale somewhere.

Finding free things to do vs spending money on a movie.

Not having credit card no matter even though banks will issue them on that low an income...not all banks, but there are banks that prey on low income and will issue one.

It takes planning to be poor and you have to really decide how and where to spend your money.

For me I simply see how long it takes me to earn enough to buy something if its expensive, and decide, is it worth working 15 hours for this? If the answer is no, I don't buy it.

Clearance items become your friend, you buy things when on sale and stock up, like soap, deodorant etc. Never buy full price, and be flexible with brands.

I for example never spend more then 1.99 on deodorant, someone always has it on sale and its always a name brand.

Same with detergent, always something on sale, ditto dish soap and body soap and tooth paste.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 6:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I can try. I make 16-18k a year most years, and when I was single, I always had roommates, if not single rent was split with the person I was with.

Food can be tricky, but basically I eat what is on sale, and also not super processed or junk, so not much meat, mostly pasta (gluten free now, and I don't get sick anymore.) make stews in the crock pot, eating cheap fruits like banana's and cheap veggies like broccoli, and carrots, and various beans.

Skipping most dairy as its pricey here, including milk. Using almond milk in cereal as its generally cheaper and on sale somewhere.

Finding free things to do vs spending money on a movie.

Not having credit card no matter even though banks will issue them on that low an income...not all banks, but there are banks that prey on low income and will issue one.

It takes planning to be poor and you have to really decide how and where to spend your money.

For me I simply see how long it takes me to earn enough to buy something if its expensive, and decide, is it worth working 15 hours for this? If the answer is no, I don't buy it.
Clearance items become your friend, you buy things when on sale and stock up, like soap, deodorant etc. Never buy full price, and be flexible with brands.

I for example never spend more then 1.99 on deodorant, someone always has it on sale and its always a name brand.

Same with detergent, always something on sale, ditto dish soap and body soap and tooth paste.
I use the one in bold a lot.

I think this style of living makes sense for most people, although it is more necessary if your salary is low. Re: The OP, "enough" is the operative word - enough to live what sort of lifestyle?

Others have recognised already that most folks on BE are high-earners, comparatively, and generally older than the OP, so the caution is often because we have forgotten that at 28, you can take risks and live on less.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I wonder if he's supposed to use the money to buy his own plan on the exchanges? I don't like the sound of it either.
If the company has only 10 employees, I don't believe they are required to provide health coverage. At their age, they can probably purchase basic health insurance through ACA with that allowance.

In California, a Bronze Anthem Blue Cross PPO ACA plan for two 30 year olds is $452 per month and with a $50,000 per year annual salary, the government subsidy $241 per month for their monthly premium cost of $248.

I don't think my brother ever made over $50,000 per year but lived in Minneapolis in a 2,500 sf house on 1/2 acre in a nice suburb and two cars. How they did it I don't know but he always seemed to have money.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 11th 2014 at 8:17 am.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

delbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to beholddelbitter is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Like others have said many people on these boards fall into the high earners category (we did not my OH works in academia).

I would say go for it but be careful. Get things in writing re.the Green Card. I also don't understand your health insurance allowance - they should be able to tell you which particular plan you will be on so you can have a look at the real costs. I'd be hesitant of your plan not to take maternity cover - what happens if contraception fails?

We had to self fund our move over (my husband's old PI actually paid his flight for him as a thank you gift) and for the first 8 months I didn't work (EAD issues then actually had to find a job). It was probably the hardest thing we have ever done. I remember going to the supermarket one day and leaving in tears because for the first time in my adult life I couldn't afford what I wanted to buy. We had no car and rented a small 1 bed apt. We are in a biotech area and many of our friends are high earners - I remember in those 'poor' days feeling so embarrased at constantly having to say we can't afford to do xyz.

Then things changed; I got a job earning a decent wage and we have never looked back. We actually had a baby too! So I say do it but understand that your lifestyle will change. $40000 is not a lot of money at all.
The health insurance will be covered by the $5k which will cover the basic coverage quote we received. This whole thing is as new for them as it is for us as they are just an 8 people company.

We have a decent turnover but not enough that they can invest huge amounts in this process. I understand that. They have said if I need more I just need to ask. I know that in a year if we like it and the business is successful I could be earning double or more. If the business doesn't work out or we hate it then we will just come back to the UK. So the package I have been offered is kind of a short term deal. I think with my lack of experience and age it feels "ok". After reading what everyone says I would like more money but lets face it, when does that desire ever stop? haha.

I feel like part of a family, as its a family business so I want it to work out for the business and ask for more once I prove myself. With my wife earning and my salary I think we will be ok even though it may be a tight year!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing about all the "go for its", which to be fair, without kids and being young is a great chance to go do that, but you're not single.

If you were, I'd say as long as you've got exit cash stashed away it would be a no brainer.

Thing is, what if one of you likes it and the other doesn't?

What if the OH doesn't find work quickly, or the kind of work/level expected?

Then you're in a bit more of a financial struggle or a relationship struggle.

I'm not saying don't go for it. It still is a great opportunity! Though do think about it and don't be flippant about it.

What exit plans will you have? How long will you give it if either one of you doesn't like it? Stuff like that. It's not meant to put you off from doing this, but they are realistic issues that have hammered folks and broken relationships.
If one likes it and the other doesn't then we move home in a year. We have discussed that

My wife has two months to get ANY job. After emailing 8 people she got a reply from each! All saying they wanted to meet here and one or two with requests for work so I think she will be ok.

We have around £20k savings as back up although I don't want to touch it if possible as it is the house fund!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
I use the one in bold a lot.

I think this style of living makes sense for most people, although it is more necessary if your salary is low. Re: The OP, "enough" is the operative word - enough to live what sort of lifestyle?

Others have recognised already that most folks on BE are high-earners, comparatively, and generally older than the OP, so the caution is often because we have forgotten that at 28, you can take risks and live on less.
Yeah and I was a "mature" student a couple of years ago so I still keep some student ways in the money saving department.

I am also lucky that my wife is not materialistic. She did really want an iPhone but thats about it. And after asking her why she wanted one she kind of talked her self out of wanting it! bonus!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
If the company has only 10 employees, I don't believe they are required to provide health coverage. At their age, they can probably purchase basic health insurance through ACA with that allowance.

In California, a Bronze Anthem Blue Cross PPO ACA plan for two 30 year olds is $452 per month and with a $50,000 per year annual salary, the government subsidy $241 per month for their monthly premium cost of $248.

I don't think my brother ever made over $50,000 per year but lived in Minneapolis in a 2,500 sf house on 1/2 acre in a nice suburb and two cars. How they did it I don't know but he always seemed to have money.
This is very interesting. I will look into if we can qualify for a subsidy. I would assume not!

our quote came out to about $430pm for both of us on basic cover. Will take that for starters and upgrade in the future!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delbitter
If one likes it and the other doesn't then we move home in a year. We have discussed that

My wife has two months to get ANY job. After emailing 8 people she got a reply from each! All saying they wanted to meet here and one or two with requests for work so I think she will be ok.

We have around £20k savings as back up although I don't want to touch it if possible as it is the house fund!
You probably realise that in the US, realtors generally take 6% of the sale price as commission (so, $12,000 on a $200,000 house), but I thought I'd mention it, just in case. If your rental cost will be about $12,000 anyway, it might be worth buying, but be careful about buying before you are sure you are settled. I'd recommend renting for at least 6 months or a year.

(And before anyone dives in and points out, "But the seller pays the commission", it's still a cost, when you come to sell).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.