Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will/ guardianship/ trust for US-based kids with UK relatives

Will/ guardianship/ trust for US-based kids with UK relatives

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:27 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will/ guardianship/ trust for US-based kids with UK relatives

I will get back to you on that JAJ as that was one of the questions he had asked us because of our tax questions. I should be able to offer precise info for you then. This trust sets up an asset directive for me in the event of my hubby passing, for my hubby in the event of me passing and my daughter should we both pass on. This is instead of a will not as well as. I will ask more at the next meeting.

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jan 21st 2013 at 12:34 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

While the trust will probably cover most of your assets there are bound to be things not covered by the trust and if you don't have a will then you are relying on the laws of intestate succession to deal with those things. If it turns out that the only thing that this would apply to would be the loose change in your pocket then it probably doesn't matter but I suspect that there will be more than just that ...
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another thought not yet addressed - the nightmare scenario. That happens when neither you nor your husband are killed... but you're both totally incapacitated. Your will wouldn't come into effect, because you're both still alive... but you'd both be unable to act or make decisions. You might want to consider seting up both a durable power of attorney, and a medical power of attorney.

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Here's another thought not yet addressed - the nightmare scenario. That happens when neither you nor your husband are killed... but you're both totally incapacitated. Your will wouldn't come into effect, because you're both still alive... but you'd both be unable to act or make decisions. You might want to consider seting up both a durable power of attorney, and a medical power of attorney.

Ian
Totally terrifying but excellent thought, shall add this to the discussion pot.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
The tax implications for a non-citizen versus a citizen were quite high but I don't recall the exact percentage, as I understood it, that has nothing to do with the $5 mil cut off. We have a meeting again on the 28th and I will ask him once again to clarify that for me. I will produce exact amounts then.
This is a very relevant topic for us right now, I'm interested to know how your meeting goes.

My husband is USC and I am currently a green card holder but one of the things on my New Year resolution list was to become a citizen. We had a phone conversation with an advisor discussing revocable trust (I'm not sure of the difference between that and a living trust) and she also advised that the tax implications between me being USC vs not was significant should my husband pass away. I don't have specific numbers but we also don't hit the $5m asset threshold and the implication was that it would definitely impact us.

I'll do some more research. But these are all good things to add to my list of things to discuss with her, we're currently procrastinating until I become a USC (N-400 filled out, just waiting for IRS tax transcript). Note to self to get passport photos taken today.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:05 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I found a small blurb on the tax issue here. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...oncitizen.html Bit more scoop here. It is in PDF format. Page 4/5 of 7 http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-...ion_240811.pdf

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jan 22nd 2013 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
This is a very relevant topic for us right now, I'm interested to know how your meeting goes.

My husband is USC and I am currently a green card holder but one of the things on my New Year resolution list was to become a citizen. We had a phone conversation with an advisor discussing revocable trust (I'm not sure of the difference between that and a living trust) and she also advised that the tax implications between me being USC vs not was significant should my husband pass away. I don't have specific numbers but we also don't hit the $5m asset threshold and the implication was that it would definitely impact us.

I'll do some more research. But these are all good things to add to my list of things to discuss with her, we're currently procrastinating until I become a USC (N-400 filled out, just waiting for IRS tax transcript). Note to self to get passport photos taken today.
A living trust and a revokable trust are the same thing. A living trust is revokable.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

swsprime is an unknown quantity at this point

Trusts are easy to set up in the UK, you just go to your Bank and ask them to set one up. In the US its 'not so easy, you need a lawyer and that can be expensive. I would find a trusted friend in the US who can act as an executor of your Will, then put it all in a legal Will, put the original in a Bank Safe Deposit Box with you executor named. The bank will then allow the executor to remove the original Will from your safe deposit on your death and execute it.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swsprime
I would find a trusted friend in the US who can act as an executor of your Will...
I think you mean an executor of the estate.

... then put it all in a legal Will...
Is there such a thing as an illegal will?

... put the original in a Bank Safe Deposit Box with you executor named. The bank will then allow the executor to remove the original Will from your safe deposit on your death and execute it.
Bad advice. You seem to dole out a lot of bad advice.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:31 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Is there such a thing as an illegal will?
Term of art, a "legal will" must be properly witnessed.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I have no clue who to talk to about this, or what questions to ask of them.
Estate, will, probate whatever they want to call themselves lawyer.

Not a bunch of strangers on the internet, quite honestly. I know people give out advice on these forums but if you're going to look on the internet I would suggest searching a website to do with probate, rather than this one.

It's a very complex area of law and individual estates vary considerably, as does State law.

And now I've said that I'll give you my opinion.

If all your tangible assets are in Arizona and you only have intangible assets (e.g. financial accounts) outside the US, then you just write a will for Arizona, get it witnessed.

Various ways of doing a trust, set up an inter vivos trust now and name the guardian as the beneficiary until the kids turn 21 or something like that is a common method. Or a regular trust transfer upon death.

If in fact a trust is a good idea, from the sounds of your estate it sounds a bit excessive.

But like I said, talk to a lawyer who specializes in it.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. As far as I am aware, there are no estate tax differences (other than the lack of an unlimited spousal exemption) whether you are a citizen or green card holder. So as long as your estate is under $5m there should be no federal estate tax to concern yourself about. But this is a free forum and perhaps your lawyer knows something else - you should ask and get advice in writing.
Perhaps he means the tax treaty (or lack thereof), estate tax works differently for residents of different countries. This one comes up in Canada all the time, oh you're going to get hit with US estate tax, but in reality you won't because under the US-Canada tax treaty you're basically treated the same as an American as regards the amounts. But you're right, as an LPR I think the only relevant bit is the lack of the unlimited exemption for the spouse.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_
Term of art, a "legal will" must be properly witnessed.
A will can be both legal and valid even if it isn't witnessed. Just sayin'.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_will

Unfortunately I don't own a tractor.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:59 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Okay, so this is the updated info I have from our lawyers. So correction on the will info. A will is part of a trust, but the trust simply bypasses the probate process as clear instruction is issued as to how and what assets are divided without the requirement of the court. It is in essence an instruction to banks, insurance policies, real estate to clarify inheritance instruction without the probate process. Addition to assets (monies, real estate) can always be updated without having to go through the legal hassle of changing the will. A will alone would do pretty much the same thing but the probate process could be a dragged out. The cost of the probate process would be charged to the recipients.

As explained to me. US citizen estate > non US citizen spouse. 5$mil exempt. Same for non US Citizen to US Citizen spouse.
US Citizen to children, $5 mil exempt. Non US citizen to children - subject to estate tax ( no exemption) Tax rate 40%. (All must be residing in the US)

I am told more changes to the estate tax structure are due later this year.

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jan 29th 2013 at 4:00 pm. Reason: Added tax percentage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.