Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:30 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Will it ever end? *Vent*

Originally Posted by woodsey
I have the opposite problem, being here as made me realise what a bunch of twats some of my so called UK friends are..
Same here! For the first couple months I kept in touch with most of them. Then I just got so pissed off with me always calling them, they would never call. Now it's been months since I spoke to the 'friends' I went to school with.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:34 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Hmmmmmmm
18 Birmingham City 22 5 4 13 -11 19
Ohhhh, I thought you meant the number of fans at the games... If you're hoping to get a rise out of me though, bad luck, I know we're in the $hit and also know there's not much I can do about it

Anyway, threads gone way off topic now.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:36 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hayley82
Same here! For the first couple months I kept in touch with most of them. Then I just got so pissed off with me always calling them, they would never call. Now it's been months since I spoke to the 'friends' I went to school with.

A lot of friends are formed out of habit. You happen to be in the same school or job and you get on okay while you are there. Take the location away and it all changes.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:41 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Partystar
*Warning - impending vent!*

I usually get the odd day when I'm down about living here, but this 'down in the dumps' feeling has been going on for over a week! I'm absolutely hating it here right now. All my 'friends' here having been getting on my nerves. I belong to a playgroup & have stopped going to their play dates recently. Although I have to go to one this afternoon as it's a 1st birthday party & I know it's important to them for us to go.

Everything they say makes me roll my eyes, they seem so petty & I can't stand it anymore. I'd give anything just to be able to pop round & see my old friends back home. At least when I talk to them I can speak my mind without getting funny looks. I hate the fact that most people here seem to be so PC about everything. I'm just not like that & I say what I mean & I mean what I say, which doesn't seem to go over well here.

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!

Thanx a lot for letting me get that out.
Hi Partystar

Since I moved here I've always had the really good and really bad days. All of Jan though, has been awful. I've been feeling down too, to the point of not knowing what to do to get out of it. I was hoping that as soon as Jan was over I'd feel better (it's the worst month for me!) but, no!

I'm lucky though, I have one friend here, from Scotland, who I go out with and talk to about everything. I consider her a better friend than most of my old friends at home.

No advice really, sometimes it's just nice to know there's others feeling like you!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chorlton
A lot of friends are formed out of habit. You happen to be in the same school or job and you get on okay while you are there. Take the location away and it all changes.

yep and they become acquaintances...lol i'd settle for that even
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:46 pm
Another gloomy day!

Originally Posted by Chorlton
That's exactly what happened to us I think. After school, we went to different colleges and started to drift apart. When we were 18, my best friend died in a car accident, so did another friend in our group.
After that, we all kinda clung to eachother, but when I moved to London we drifted apart again, and after moving here we don't even speak!
Upsets me sometimes, but then I think, what's the point in making an effort with people you don't really like anymore!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
*Warning - impending vent!*

Everything they say makes me roll my eyes, they seem so petty & I can't stand it anymore. I'd give anything just to be able to pop round & see my old friends back home. At least when I talk to them I can speak my mind without getting funny looks. I hate the fact that most people here seem to be so PC about everything. I'm just not like that & I say what I mean & I mean what I say, which doesn't seem to go over well here.

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!

Thanx a lot for letting me get that out.

I know that feeling, Partystar.
Something a writer called Bill Herbst said always helps me to focus in these circumstances -

"Standing up for who we are and what we truly believe takes courage. Insisting on one form of freedom may require the sacrifice of another kind of freedom. The risk is that we may lose money, status, security, perhaps even the approbation, friendship, or love of others who matter to us.
Is it worth the risk? I would answer by posing another question: What is it worth to get out of prison?"
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Upsets me sometimes, but then I think, what's the point in making an effort with people you don't really like anymore!
No offense, but why don't you like then any more...because they don't call you ???
Seems a pretty lame reason to me
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:59 pm
Another gloomy day!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No offense, but why don't you like then any more...because they don't call you ???
Don't have anything in common with them really. One of them (the one I'm thinking of mostly when I wrote that) recently got married, admittedly for money, even guaranteed it wouldn't be her first marriage. I thought that was wrong and told her. I don't need to have anyone like that in my life.
One of them I do talk to and try to see whenever I go home and I still love her like I did.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Our Brit friends back home cant get there heads round that we might not like it over here, they like to think we are having a wale of a time. So you must make the effort and if there true friends they will stay in touch.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:05 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have anything in common with them really. One of them (the one I'm thinking of mostly when I wrote that) recently got married, admittedly for money, even guaranteed it wouldn't be her first marriage. I thought that was wrong and told her. I don't need to have anyone like that in my life.
Oh, that's different then, but then again it sounds like you would have fallen out with her if you'd been at home anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:05 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by britvic
Our Brit friends back home cant get there heads round that we might not like it over here, they like to think we are having a wale of a time. So you must make the effort and if there true friends they will stay in touch.
Well put
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:11 pm
Another gloomy day!

Oh, that's different then, but then again it sounds like you would have fallen out with her if you'd been at home anyway.
Yes, I would.

It's just the overwhelming feelings of homesickness and loneliness exaggerates things like that though. When I first moved here I wanted to keep in touch with everyone, despite the fact that we didn't get along, just so I felt less alone! That's why I said it upsets me sometimes (periods of feeling down) and at other times I think why make the effort with them...(when I'm feeling ok!)
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:12 pm
Another gloomy day!

Absolutely!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

exactly vic said it for me....lol my uk friends think that coz the bl**dy sun shines then everything is rosy...watch the posts from people desperate to emigrate and they say life has to be better coz the sun shines...lol they don't know yep cherish your true friends and i do that's why i miss them so and it's reciprocated big time..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.