Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Will it ever end? *Vent*

Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:02 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it ever end? *Vent*

I don't think it ever ends. Some days are better than others.It's definetly easier when you have younger children to meet other people. It's nice to have a good friend where-ever you're at. Keep your chin up it will get better.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Chin up PS.
At least you have a big f**k-off house and it rains less in AZ
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, Mum went back on Monday, but that wasn't too bad, cuz I know I'll see her again soon. I was actually feeling this way before she even got here & I think I now know why. I was trying to think what was going on around the time I started to get homesick. It was right after I received a letter from a friend back home in England. She wrote a 5 page letter, sent me a teddy bear, a 'best friends' keyring, an 'I miss you card' & loads of photos.

The letter told me she was getting married & wanted me to be at her wedding, because I was the best friend she's ever had & she's thought about me everyday since I left & is really missing me. She also said she wants her fiancee to meet the person that made her what she is today, of course I was balling after I read that.

I think that is what really affected me & has made me feel this way, because I know now more than ever, what I really left behind to come here. It really doesn't help when our situation here is much worse than the one we left behind.
hmmm yep know where you are coming from....how much longer will you be here? i think one always wonders when we move home whether friends will keep in touch and for me my bestest uk friends constantly post me little fridge magnets and key ring tags coz i've always been there for them and they know how unhappy i am...at least you have a couple of brit mates you mentioned who you get together with....sadly i have non...so cheer up and just take each day at a time
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I know it breaks your heart when friends send you just a little thing like mine did a best friends key ring where she's got one half and I have the other.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:13 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Buy a gun - thats what I'm going to do
Alternatively some german lager or chianti works for me too
Seriously, I think most of us understand.
I'm going out on Friday night with the girls from my group (one of them is moving to California), I'm thinking of getting hammered & pissing off with another one of my friends from another group!!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:15 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'm going out on Friday night with the girls from my group (one of them is moving to California), I'm thinking of getting hammered & pissing off with another one of my friends from another group!!!
Have you considered physical violence as a venting option ??
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:16 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Chin up PS.
At least you have a big f**k-off house and it rains less in AZ
You really know how to cheer someone up don't you?

I often wonder if I would be happier if I could at least find one brit friend over here. I'm in Florida FFS, can't be that hard can it? I'm fed up being different to most people here, so I end up keeping myself to myself most of the time.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake

I often wonder if I would be happier if I could at least find one brit friend over here. I'm in Florida FFS, can't be that hard can it? I'm fed up being different to most people here, so I end up keeping myself to myself most of the time.

yeah me too..i started posting on here hoping to find some like minded brits but no such luck...so now i'm kinda hooked on be website...bit sad to waste my life away
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:25 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake

I agree - I'm on my tod up here too and I have now lost all interest in trying to talk to any yanks.
The latest episode happened this morning. Let me explain...
I work for a large insurance company. About 5 months ago I got into a converstaion with a colleague about the company share price and our 401k scheme. He told me that basically his whole 401k was invested in company stock. I pointed out that due to katrina, etc that the stock had dipped and that it might take a further hammering - maybe it would be a good idea to put the money in something else for a while. He then said no cos he always keep his cash in company stock and it had worked out well for him.
This morning I get a mail from him saying that he'd lost $3.5k from his 401k due to the stock falling. I said I was sorry, but pointed out that I had warned him months ago.
His reply was that he ignored my advice because of the way I communicated it to him in the first place, and so he didn't even look into changing things.

I have 2 questions.
1. Wtf is this guy on - it was the way i said that due to several hurricanes the company stock would probably fall ????
2. Seriously, wtf is this guy on ??

I have come to one very simple conclusion - many americans would rather you lied to them 'nicely' than stated facts or opinions to them in a straightforward manner.

Why bother.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelover
We all do understand Partystar, it is normal to feel this way at times and a week isn't too long in my book. I get these feeling periodically and they are sometimes short lived and others are a long time hanging around.
Don't feel bad just vent away, we are all here for you.
Thanx a lot! I think it’s just weird for me because I’m usually a happy, jolly, fun to be with person, not a miserable bugger like I’ve been recently!!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Been there done that..you'll get out of your funk pretty soon..they'll still be talking garbage but it'll be water off a ducks back...oh and buy a bottle of wine on your way home..you'll be glad you did
I actually have a rather large wine rack (about the size of a chest of drawers!) sat right next to me!!! Only 3 bottles in it, as we try not to look like total wino's!!! I might have a glass or four tonight! Thanx for the suggestion!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Tell you what, those playgroups are the same in the UK. They are not the best place to meet like minded people unless you're very very straight (not the sexuality type straight) and like talking about babies/kids constantly and are very comepetitive with regards the their milestones/acheivements.

Don't have any suggestion or advice, I feel the same as you most days, and I still haven't met any Brits. Sorry.

Annette
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Chick Flick
Tell the women in your group, exactly how you feel, If you make any true friends thats great if you don't what have you lost?. NOTHING. You never know there may be one or two who think just like you.
I do tell them exactly how I feel. Some of them don't like it, some of them don't mind, but at the end of the day, none of them are the same caliber of friend I had back home. I guess they just bread friends differently over here!!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:46 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you what did it for me, thought it probably sounds pathetic.
Last summer a new family moved into the street and I was the first person to say hi to them, and my daughter was the same age as their daughter so they hit it off straight away. They play with each other all the time. Well, me being me, I see them most days and we chat, but take my time getting to know them. Meanwhile everyone else on street has become instant best buddies with them in that irritating superficial way, so suddenly I'm starting to lose ground in the friends stakes. Christmas arrives and I hear from my one good friend I have that this new family are having a Christmas Eve party and inviting everyone they know. My friend had met them barely twice and got an invite, so we were expecting one too. But guess who didn't get invited? Yep, that's right, billy no mates here. WTF?? Suddenly we're not good enough for them. Made me realise I'm never going to fully fit in around here.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 5:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by robskatie
You need to organise a big girls night out when you go home
I always wonder how the war brides managed when they came over here, communication and ease of travel was so much harder back then, they must have been truly miserable, we are fortunate in a way that home is only a phone call away and t'internet is a wonderful thing
Yep, already planning to go out every night while I'm home!!! My Mum will be more than happy to watch out for my son for me, he sleeps all night with no problems, so it's like he's not even there! She doesn't really go out at night anyway, so I won't feel like I'm putting her out either.

You're absolutely right about technology nowadays. I don't know how they managed, I know I couldn't do it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.