Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wildly differing quotes and policies to transport dog

wildly differing quotes and policies to transport dog

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road
Default wildly differing quotes and policies to transport dog

We've a boxer-lab cross we need to ship from London to JFK.
We looked at some pet agents and have been quoted anything from 950 quid up to 1600

So we thought we'd check direct with the airlines and, so far, this is what we have:
BA will only deal with pet agents
Virgin will charge us 850 so with 140 for the crate may as well use a pet agent.
KLM quoted me 200 Euros and said they fly with their partner Delta. I phone up Delta who say that they don't fly pets to or from the UK.
American Airlines quoted me $175 as long as dog and crate are under 100 pounds (putting dog on diet...) and they may not take the dog since he's a boxer mix (not snub nosed though).
Haven't yet called United who I understand repalced Continental.

I'm not sure who else fly direct from London to New York but don't get why AA and KLM are so cheap and BA/Virgin so blooming expensive. Surely they all have to follow the same animal welfare regulations?
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wildly differing quotes and policies to transport dog

Originally Posted by LillyRobeson
We've a boxer-lab cross we need to ship from London to JFK.
We looked at some pet agents and have been quoted anything from 950 quid up to 1600

So we thought we'd check direct with the airlines and, so far, this is what we have:
BA will only deal with pet agents
Virgin will charge us 850 so with 140 for the crate may as well use a pet agent.
KLM quoted me 200 Euros and said they fly with their partner Delta. I phone up Delta who say that they don't fly pets to or from the UK.
American Airlines quoted me $175 as long as dog and crate are under 100 pounds (putting dog on diet...) and they may not take the dog since he's a boxer mix (not snub nosed though).
Haven't yet called United who I understand repalced Continental.

I'm not sure who else fly direct from London to New York but don't get why AA and KLM are so cheap and BA/Virgin so blooming expensive. Surely they all have to follow the same animal welfare regulations?
Have you asked Delta if they'll fly pets from the Netherlands as I'd've thought anything with KLM would involve a transfer at Schipol. Delta took over NorthWest and inherited NWA's long standing alliance with KLM which almost always involved going through AMS.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Delta fly direct from London - they operate KLM's direct flights. We could do KLM with a transfer in Amsterdam but would rather a direct flight, it's going to be tough enough on the dog as it is.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:50 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

We went ABZ - AMS - IAH and to be honest, it was probably easier on the dog via AMS. KLM have a very descriptive piece on their website about their animal holding centre (or at least they did in 2010).

Of course, that is all immaterial if you want to go direct.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

No, that's good to hear! I thought it'd be tougher on him and I wanted to minimise the travel time.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:26 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

And they have a four star doggy hotel in the airport at Amsterdam that they take them off to!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

RubyD is an unknown quantity at this point

we got prices from Airtransat, not sure if they fly Lon to NY but worth a try. we were quoted 3500 via pet agent from Dub to Toronto for 2 dogs but Airtransat will allow us to book them ourselves on the same flight as us for $280 cad each dog
worth a google anyway to see if they go from Lon to NY
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Call United - they have a pretty clear pet transport policy on their website so you may get more mileage with them. You might have to fly to Newark though.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
You might have to fly to Newark though.
... which is often preferable to flying into JFK anyway ...
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
... which is often preferable to flying into JFK anyway ...
Not if you're going to be living in Queens!

Anyway, United quoted me $638.

I really don't understand the differences in price but looks like we'll go with American although I'm suspicious about their $175 - it just seems too cheap!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen the price on the American Airline site... thats incredible! Looks like a winner to me!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Which bit is immaterial?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:21 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Which bit is immaterial?
If you want to go direct, going via AMS is not an option, therefore the facility that KLM has is immaterial to what you want to do. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

AntMcG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you don't mind me using your thread to ask a related question....

We're taking our two Leonberger Mountain Dogs from London to LAX. The cheapest we've found is (wait for it...) £2700 EACH!!! That's with Virgin.

If anyone knows how to do this cheaper, please, please let me know (they're much bigger than boxers and weigh 45 and 55 kilos).

The crazy thing is that our ticket for the same flight is around £470.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

chestersmate is an unknown quantity at this point

"and they may not take the dog since he's a boxer mix (not snub nosed though)."

LillyRobeson - I'm a bit concerned about this as I intend to take my Bull Mastiff/Rottie cross and Cane Corso over with me. What is the problem with sbnub nose, and is this just related to American?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.