Reload this Page >

wife flying to UK for Christmas with single ticket

wife flying to UK for Christmas with single ticket

Old Dec 14th 2012, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

harry432 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wife flying to UK for Christmas with single ticket

Hi everyone,

I am an expat living in the US having gone through the K1 marriage visa..etc..

This xmas and new year we are going to spend our time in the UK. I arrived back in London a couple of weeks ago but my wife is arriving separately next week. She had to stay in the US a bit longer cos of work commitments.

She was owed a single complimentary ticket from Virgin atlantic so she has used it to book the flight here. We don't however have a return flight booked yet as we're not sure when we're returning to the US. End of January perhaps or maybe a little earlier. We're gonna see if the ticket prices are lowered after christmas.

My question is; is this going to be an issue at UK immigration at the airport? or will they make a fuss as it's a one way ticket? When asked "what are you doing here?" is it best to say "my husband is a UK resident". Is that OK? I never quite know what is OK and what isn't.

thanks in advance
Old Dec 15th 2012, 12:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wife flying to UK for Christmas with single ticket

The only time I looked for one-way tickets they cost more than returns, so you may find that your wife's free ticket might not have saved her a penny. If that is still the case she may as throw the single away and buy a return ticket! .... At least if you can decide when you're coming back.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 5:25 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've crossed the UK border probably 90-100 on a US passport and only once have I been asked about a return ticket (my first trip, when I was still a backpacking student).

I would agree though about the bit where one ways cost more than a return. It's probably better to book a return and then upgrade with the miles rather than burn miles on a simple one-way (if that is an option)
Old Dec 15th 2012, 6:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just interested, what did she do, or what did they do to her, to earn this free single flight from Virgin?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where she lands (Heathrow, for example) she could have a lot of questions thrown at her, one could very well be, do you have a return ticket. And telling them that her husband is a UK resident, when she has no visa to remain, may very well throw up red flags as well.

I'd be more cautious and buy the return ticket. I'm sure it would be very frustrating if she arrived and was not allowed in the country because they thought she would stay illegally.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It'll more likely be the airline check-in counter that asks about the return portion, if the border laws of the UK insist that non-EU/UK nationals have proof of onward travel.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 4:24 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Having a ticket is no proof of onward travel - it's a silly requirement but one that can trip you up.

Forgetting for a second how she intends to return to the UK - if it's just a case of wanting 'insurance' in case asked, she can buy a fully-flexible single ticket (most probably are anyway) US-UK before departure from the UK and then cancel it without penalty once inside the US.

Mrs and Mrs tonrob senior have considered this when arriving in the US on a single ticket but intending to take a last-minute one-way cruise back.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What' always "OK" is are truthful answers to questions asked.

What isn't are devious answers.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by harry432
I never quite know what is OK and what isn't.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 6:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
What' always "OK" is are truthful answers to questions asked.

What isn't are devious answers.

Regards, JEff
Saw quite a few people get sent back by UK immigration for devious answers, when otherwise they would have got the benefit of any doubt.

A single ticket to the UK if they realize will be a huge problem.