Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:13 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird US traditions drive me bonkers..

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Is it just me who has noticed a distinct lack of Christmassy food in the supermarkets? You know the kind of thing - party foods, chipolatas wrapped in bacon, Lebkuchen, cream with different liqueurs, brandy butter etc etc

I find it all distinctly unfestive
..and zero babycham!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:15 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wierd US traditions drive me bonkers..

What's up with boxes for Xmas gifts -how difficult is it to wrap a sweater without first putting it in a box?

(Watching grown women throw tantrums, after the department stores run out of gift boxes -priceless!)
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:20 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
What's up with boxes for Xmas gifts -how difficult is it to wrap a sweater without first putting it in a box?

(Watching grown women throw tantrums, after the department stores run out of gift boxes -priceless!)
And how come you can't buy single sheets of gift wrap? I don't want to have to buy a whole roll just to wrap up one child's present. It's a pain in the ass.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:23 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'd love to find some decent cream with different liqueurs! Also, miss the little mince pies from Sainsburys and the German Stollen cake.
you can buy Stollen and lots of other goodies at World Market..
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:25 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'd love to find some decent cream with different liqueurs! Also, miss the little mince pies from Sainsburys and the German Stollen cake.
I'd love to find some decent cream
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc11s
1. Can American women understand how unattractive it is to see them in a Christmas cardigan (straight after the organge pumpkin ones). they are pathetic.. Something you might wear if you were two years old and it was knitted by Granny... Ladies - unattractive is an understatement - DON'T wear them..... :scared:

2. Please STOP sending me christmas cards disguised as photographs of your entire family. What is that all about?

3. Americans who turn up for the Christmas party / dinner party in a jumper, jeans or less than even Friday casual wear (or said cardigans). You can tell the Europeans because we all make an effort and it's nice and the women look great....

I LOVE Christmas but these things make me cringe. Bah humbug .

I don't find the items on your list too cringeworthy - maybe worth a grin or two, though.

Most Americans in this neck of the woods put lots of effort into decorating the outsides of their homes - there are a few in the "posh" part of town that would put Blackpool to shame! It seems to be their priority, dressing up to the nines is not on their "to do" list. Works for me!

Something I did find cringeworthy though was a float in the town's Christmas parade this year. A depiction of the crucifiction, with a young fellow hanging on a cross, and attendant Roman soldiers etc. (Real people from a local church!)
That was bad enough, in a parade supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ, even more astounding was that it won the award for Best Float!!!!
Cringe, cringe!!
And in the park where there is a very nice Christmas lights display, there's a section dedicated to the crucifiction.

It's also fairly cringeworthy to go to a Christmas gathering and find no alcohol. :scared:
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

And how come you can't buy single sheets of gift wrap? I don't want to have to buy a whole roll just to wrap up one child's present. It's a pain in the ass.
that's what gift bags are for deary
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:27 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
that's what gift bags are for deary
But it's cheaper to buy a roll of wrapping paper!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:29 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to find some decent cream
Going to resist the obvious joke that I think you already did
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie

Most Americans in this neck of the woods put lots of effort into decorating the outsides of their homes - there are a few in the "posh" part of town that would put Blackpool to shame! It seems to be their priority, dressing up to the nines is not on their "to do" list. Works for me!

It's also fairly cringeworthy to go to a Christmas gathering and find no alcohol. :scared:

No booze?? And people dressed in their everyday jeans and sweaters? OMG!

But then I see you are in Oklahoma... :scared:
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:35 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by lionheart
Going to resist the obvious joke that I think you already did
yeah me too...Eskimo is watching....I'm a good girl I am
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie

Something I did find cringeworthy though was a float in the town's Christmas parade this year. A depiction of the crucifiction, with a young fellow hanging on a cross, and attendant Roman soldiers etc. (Real people from a local church!)
That was bad enough, in a parade supposed to be celebrating the birth of Christ, even more astounding was that it won the award for Best Float!!!!
Cringe, cringe!!
And in the park where there is a very nice Christmas lights display, there's a section dedicated to the crucifiction.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:36 pm
Back Again

But it's cheaper to buy a roll of wrapping paper!
you're in california go to one of those 99c only stores...they are fab...giftbags large and small two for 99c ....
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

And how cam most americans say that thanksgiving is the best holiday..
its just christmas without the pressies!.............................

actually i think i can see where they are coming from.... no crappy sweaters, no homer simpson boxers, no pine needles stuck in your fricking feet, no EGNOG :scared: no overdraft from all the shite you have had to buy everyone, no huge electricity bill for the light (kyoto anyone????)

ok, thanksgiving is now my favourite holiday!

roll out the sweet potatos!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 5:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
...no overdraft from all the shite you have had to buy everyone..........
No one has to buy anything for anyone.

I stopped years ago. In due course they'll stop buying you stuff too.

Believe me it works!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.