Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is the UK such a tolerant nation?

Why is the UK such a tolerant nation?

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:50 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is the UK such a tolerant nation?

Originally Posted by American_guy19
blah blah blah throw cheap shots at me all you want. I am standing by what I have said. What would new immigrant limeys know about life in America?
whatever your age says it all...you're young and i'm completely bored with your narrow view point maybe one day you'll leave home and experience the world
as for this site yes there may be debates, discussions, arguements whatever you want to call them and everybody is welcome...but the predominant reason for the site is so that we as expatriots can get together in a place where we met other's in a similar situation...in this forum we're all Brits who've moved to the U.S and we can piss and moan all we like right...i think it's great cos i get to realise i'm not the only one who's struggling with homesickness etc and it's just nice meet new people who talk and reminince about all the stuff i miss and that my husband and American friends don't understand.

Like i said everybody is welcome but if you don't like whining Brits then i suggest you find another forum where somebody gives a damn
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Good that you should post this because to be honest I think both countries have their degress of tolerance. To really answer the main question I think it depends on what subject we are talking about. When it comes to hate racial crime I think it is worse here than in the UK but still there are people of colour who have done better here than in the UK.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
This site says there were 53090 hate crimes reported in England and Wales over the year 2000/2001.

Could this be more people reporting the crime?

-tom
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:03 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
uh oh is that one gonna be directed at me too?
I wouldn't dare
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I think he is the only twit who does not know he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. I bet he lives in East TX.

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
erm.....i think you went and contradicted yourself there
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

IOWA, don't they have interbreeding over there?

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Ah! You're from Iowa.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:16 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
IOWA, don't they have interbreeding over there?
This guy walks into a bar in Alabama and orders a white wine.
Everybody sitting around the bar looks up, surprised, and the bartender looks around and says: "You ain't from around here, are ya... where ya from, boy?"
The guy says, "I'm from Iowa."
The bartender asks, "What th' hell you do in Iowa?"
The guy responds, "I'm a taxidermist."
The bartender asks, "A taxidermist... now just what th' hell is a taxidermist?"
The guy says, "I mount animals."
The bartender grins and shouts out to the whole bar, "It's OK boys, he's one of us!"
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:17 am
You Are All Diseased

Q: What do you call a bunch of tractors parked in front of a McDonalds on Friday night in Iowa?

A: Prom.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rincewind
This guy walks into a bar in Alabama and orders a white wine.
Everybody sitting around the bar looks up, surprised, and the bartender looks around and says: "You ain't from around here, are ya... where ya from, boy?"
The guy says, "I'm from Iowa."
The bartender asks, "What th' hell you do in Iowa?"
The guy responds, "I'm a taxidermist."
The bartender asks, "A taxidermist... now just what th' hell is a taxidermist?"
The guy says, "I mount animals."
The bartender grins and shouts out to the whole bar, "It's OK boys, he's one of us!"
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rincewind
Q: What do you call a bunch of tractors parked in front of a McDonalds on Friday night in Iowa?

A: Prom.

Wow, a guy from Georgia making fun of Iowa for not being "sophisticated." I think I've seen it all.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:30 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the national flower of Iowa - a satelite dish
Iowa - 5 million people, 8 last names
Iowa - proof God has a sense of humour
Iowa - the way life will be after a nuclear holocaust
Iowa - where a tractor pull means something completly different
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough

I still can't believe what I'm seeing. People that live in states that are far more hick like North Carolina and Georgia are making fun of Iowa. I used to live in NC BTW (if you read some of my old posts) and Iowa's cities are far more developed than the sprawl and lack of street lighting of NC. Heck, Charlotte just recently got street lights on the freeways in the past couple years!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Here I got on for you... it's a funny one:

Q: What do you call a guy from North Carolina or Georgia who make fun of Iowa?

A: A redneck!

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Why is the UK such a tolerant nation?

When the UK has big cities where 80% of the city is non-white -- and everything is cool, no protests in the streets, and the non-whites aren't always referred to as "foreigners" -- then the UK can hold a candle to the US.

Tolerant is a relative statement. To a country such as Saudi Arabia. Yes. to the US. No.

-= nav =-
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:46 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ctwickman

heehee they're all funny to me mate! i'm always amazed at how defensive people from each state are , but then again i'm from a very small country and the regions are even smaller the people are even more alike and they'll still find differences to fight about!! Hilarious!!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:52 am
You Are All Diseased

Wow, a guy from Georgia making fun of Iowa for not being "sophisticated." I think I've seen it all.
I’m quite happy to read jokes about Georgia if you have better ones than:

The only one I know (or found) is:

Q: Why does a Georgia Bulldog place his diploma on the dashboard?
A: So he can park in a handicapped zone!

I never stated that Georgia was more sophisticated than Iowa and I certainly would have made a better retort than the joke you posted.

Clutching my sides here. I think they're going to split. Do you have any betters ones or is that the limit of your intelligence??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.