British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why move to the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-move-us-773422/)

Giantaxe Oct 16th 2012 3:03 pm

Re: Why move to the US?

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10333866)
SS is at least relsted to your job and is always a cost directly or indirectly to the employee.

I guess theycould fund the military on this basis. Equally illogical.

How is social security more related to your job than health insurance? And in what way is health insurance not a cost directly or indirectly to an employee?

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 16th 2012 4:43 pm

Certainly the Pension aspect is, more you earn the more you get.

Medical Insurance, well I guess if you are ill you can not work, but the connection between Employment and the Health Care is a big stretch. Even more so if you include the family members.

I realise I am preaching to mainly the converted but you could say that the Employer has more interest in making sure employees cars are well maintained and operational. You can just imagine what would happen to costs if that was a common benefit.

Giantaxe Oct 16th 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10334071)
Certainly the Pension aspect is, more you earn the more you get.

Not quite - there is a redistribution to lower income levels.

Medical Insurance, well I guess if you are ill you can not work, but the connection between Employment and the Health Care is a big stretch. Even more so if you include the family members.

Vacation time? Really, there is no logical difference to healthcare than a number of almost standard employee benefits.

I realise I am preaching to mainly the converted but you could say that the Employer has more interest in making sure employees cars are well maintained and operational. You can just imagine what would happen to costs if that was a common benefit.

Not sure what point you are making here. That people shouldn't be provided with health insurance because it puts costs up?

I do agree that the connection between employment and healthcare access is perhaps the biggest flaw.

dunroving Oct 16th 2012 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by paul32x (Post 10322984)
Believe it or not, the reason my wife and I moved out here was a bottle of Plax!! My wife is a US Citizen, and lived with me in the UK for about 7 years. Anyway, one day I was out doing some shopping and she asked me to pick up a bottle of Plax for her. Went to Tesco's, got it, £1.80-something, I seem to remember, for a tiny bottle. Next day, I happened to be in Costco down near Watford for something, saw the same size bottle of Plax -- 73p!! That was it, that day we decided we'd had enough of being ripped off!!

I was in Tesco today and Plax is 3 for the price of 2 - time to come back to Britain!

Sally Redux Oct 16th 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10334278)
I was in Tesco today and Plax is 3 for the price of 2 - time to come back to Britain!

:britflag:

Steve_ Oct 16th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sailorchief (Post 10328432)
Can't help that Mr Grumpy Know-it-all Steve started this thread with a big wooden spoon in his hand and is just sitting back with a smile! Of course he could have said something along the lines of " Canadians ...Americans with Culture" but that wouldn't have been as subtle..lol!

I wouldn't say we're particularly cultured, although there's a few people back east who seem to think we are.

It just annoys me that the US is such a total clusterf--- and I wish there would be some sort of progress in sorting out the various enormous problems the US has. Mainly so that I could retire somewhere warm. But I'm sure there are better reasons to sort it out than that. :o

I sit here thinking to myself that I'd really like to move to the US except for etc. and so on and then I realize that it really isn't that smart of an idea and then I wonder why anyone else wants to.

Failing that, please go bankrupt so that Canada can annex the nice parts.

Or alternatively, have the DoD invent a machine that turns off all the electricity all over the world at the same time and then have militias take over and break up the US into various parts with silly names, like the Monroe Republic.

mwdake Oct 16th 2012 11:13 pm

well i agree with post #7 mwdake, it was like a breath of fresh air, i was on the same level as everybody else,no one knew me and it was up to me take make a go of it,amd as i sat in nottingham working for the british telecom i also wonderd ,what if i don,t go and try it. so myself and wife and 7yr old son got on the plane,with visa, and landed in texas, what great people they are,from the moment we got to houston the texans wanted to help,and i have found that true ever since no matter where i have lived ,now in tampa fl the us is not for everybody,thankyou but i find the vast majority of americans are good people ,the goverment is no better or worse than any place else i go back to the uk every year to visit my dad who is 89yrs old and always look foreward to getting back to fl i will never have better freinds than i have from my school years in england americans are very transit and tend noy to settle ,but there heart is in the right place, i,m sorry if i ramble but this is not england but its my home now ,after 30yrs we became americans ,it was the right thing to do the world is changing and no where is the same .if you are checking my spelling and find it not quite right thats the great thing about the us no one cares.
Funny, you and I pretty much started out in the same place and ended up in the same place.

And, yes I felt the same way about the Texans.

Here's an example of Texas hospitality...

I visited Austin a few months back arriving late at night.
I stopped at the toll both and the guy started chatting asking me if I was visiting etc, I told him yes but I used to live in Texas, he said welcome back and we missed you. A few days later on the way back to the airport on the other side of the highway I stopped at the toll booth and it was the same guy and he remembered me and told me I should move back to Texas as they would sure like to have me back. It made me feel like I had never left Texas.

Xebedee Oct 18th 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10334541)
I wouldn't say we're particularly cultured, ...............over and break up the US into various parts with silly names, like the Monroe Republic.

Canada doesn't seem to exist as far as the average yank is concerned. I've never met one who has been to Canada or expresses a wish to do so.
There is little or no news about the country to our North ever shown here. Most yanks do not know the nation's capital or could name the provinces.

My own theory is that Canada isn't a desirable place to visit because it is too "British" for their tastes.

Pulaski Oct 19th 2012 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 10337873)
......... My own theory is that Canada isn't a desirable place to visit because it is too "British" for their tastes.

When Canada is ever mentioned, admittedly rarely, in my experience, it usually seems to be considered just (like) another part of the US - I have heard it referred to as "the upper mid-west", and the attiride seems to be that it is a USA-lite.

Steve_ Oct 19th 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 10337873)
Canada doesn't seem to exist as far as the average yank is concerned. I've never met one who has been to Canada or expresses a wish to do so.

I think it depends where you are, but I agree tourism from the US to Canada is on the decline and has been for awhile, the main reason given is the strength of the US dollar. Try going to Niagara Falls one of the days, OMG, talk about a tourist trap.

It seems to me that older Americans are more familiar with Canada, from the era of the road trip before flying everywhere became so common.

But generally speaking people in contiguous States are somewhat familiar with Canada I find.

At least Americans know where Canada is, which is more than can be said for most of the geography of the world.

What really irritates me is when I'm in Arizona and people don't know where Alberta is, typically anyone over the age of 30 does know and anyone younger than that doesn't. I remember I was in the Microsoft store at the Fashion Square Mall and some girl was showing me how wonderful Bing Maps was (or not) and I asked her to zoom in on Alberta and she goes: "Errr.... where's that?" So I reply, well, I'll give you a clue, it's in the same time zone. Blank stare, I think she thought it must be in Mexico but it didn't sound Mexican and I didn't look Mexican, so eventually I had to say, "scroll up".

Jerseygirl Oct 19th 2012 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10339439)
I think it depends where you are, but I agree tourism from the US to Canada is on the decline and has been for awhile, the main reason given is the strength of the US dollar. Try going to Niagara Falls one of the days, OMG, talk about a tourist trap.

It seems to me that older Americans are more familiar with Canada, from the era of the road trip before flying everywhere became so common.

But generally speaking people in contiguous States are somewhat familiar with Canada I find.

At least Americans know where Canada is, which is more than can be said for most of the geography of the world.

What really irritates me is when I'm in Arizona and people don't know where Alberta is, typically anyone over the age of 30 does know and anyone younger than that doesn't. I remember I was in the Microsoft store at the Fashion Square Mall and some girl was showing me how wonderful Bing Maps was (or not) and I asked her to zoom in on Alberta and she goes: "Errr.... where's that?" So I reply, well, I'll give you a clue, it's in the same time zone. Blank stare, I think she thought it must be in Mexico but it didn't sound Mexican and I didn't look Mexican, so eventually I had to say, "scroll up".

I've lost count of the number of Americans that refer to Canada as overseas. I used to point out that there is no sea between the two countries...then I gave up it was too much effort.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 19th 2012 4:56 pm

Like Domestic beer.

Pumba NI Oct 20th 2012 9:45 pm

After visiting USA a couple of times now I am personally very interested to emigrate there, at least for a couple of years anyway to see how things go.

For me the allure is down to a couple of things, life style, Californian Weather, the culture, I love the kindness of people, the patriotism (which is frowned upon in northern Ireland by many quarters), the food, the cheap prices of things, no sales tax in Oregon, the cars, the accents, the geography, the diversity among other things.

I have friends there that have moved over from northern Ireland to study spread out, New York, Lincoln, Tampa, Portland, Los Angeles, Seattle and I also have 2nd cousins in both san fran and los angeles. All of them appear to have a quality standard of living and it would be very much something that appeals to me.

Ideally with my computer science degree once I get a job I should be fine as most firms that I would apply for will offer health insurance and reasonable salaries.
I also work for an american oil company so once I get my visa I could try and get a transfer to their Houston or California locations. Unfortunately they don't do inter company transfers for any one lower than management so it's the DV lottery route for me for the time being. From what I see it's a far better place to be when your young, with Europe being far superior for late age due to the social welfare in place and health service.

Also those talking about the class system, I've lived in England for 2 years now and the class system is much more entrenched in USA.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 20th 2012 10:47 pm

Who knows what your late age will bring.

tonrob Oct 20th 2012 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pumba NI (Post 10341115)
After visiting USA a couple of times now I am personally very interested to emigrate there, at least for a couple of years anyway to see how things go.

For me the allure is down to a couple of things, life style, Californian Weather, the culture, I love the kindness of people, the patriotism (which is frowned upon in northern Ireland by many quarters), the food, the cheap prices of things, no sales tax in Oregon, the cars, the accents, the geography, the diversity among other things.

I have friends there that have moved over from northern Ireland to study spread out, New York, Lincoln, Tampa, Portland, Los Angeles, Seattle and I also have 2nd cousins in both san fran and los angeles. All of them appear to have a quality standard of living and it would be very much something that appeals to me.

Ideally with my computer science degree once I get a job I should be fine as most firms that I would apply for will offer health insurance and reasonable salaries.
I also work for an american oil company so once I get my visa I could try and get a transfer to their Houston or California locations. Unfortunately they don't do inter company transfers for any one lower than management so it's the DV lottery route for me for the time being. From what I see it's a far better place to be when your young, with Europe being far superior for late age due to the social welfare in place and health service.

Also those talking about the class system, I've lived in England for 2 years now and the class system is much more entrenched in USA.

So you've spent 5 minutes in the USA and not much longer in England - how do you know how entrenched the "class system" is in one place compared to the other?